Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Post The sadness of one-shot stories...
on: June 17, 2005 02:31
I feel sorry for the writers of one-shot stories. I have read a good many excellent one-shot stories, especially on this site, but it saddens me to think that as more and more people add fanfics here, the one-shots get pushed further and further away. And, as they are very seldom expanded into multi-chapter stories, they never get another chance to be at the top of the list with the recently updated stories, where people would notice them more. So many of the one-shots I read were better than many multi-chapter fics. They are so under-appreciated. Does anyone share my views?

[Edited on 18/6/2005 by Ireth_Telrunya]
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
Alatariel1013
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The sadness of one-shot stories...
on: June 18, 2005 03:25
Yeah, I've thought of that. It is too bad. Or sometimes people post their chapters in separate stories, so they're fifth chapter will be on the top, but their first could be way back there.
RavenLady
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2005 11:13
I really prefer short stories, or long completed ones (with unfinished stories you always take a risk that the next chapters won't be as good, or that the story will end up in Fanfiction Cemetery before it's finished), and those stories disappear from the front page pretty soon.

Is there a way to add a "length" filter (like the rating/character/genre filters), so that people could sort out shorter stories from multi-chapter ones, and unfinished stories from complete ones? Just an idea.

RavenLady
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 18, 2005 03:34
Yes, there are so many stories, both long and short, that just get lost once they completed. When I was new to this site, I once started a thread, "Tell newbies about your favourite older fan fics," because I knew that there was a lot of good stuff out there that I wasn't able to find. I didn't get much of a response, though! I guess readers forget about the fan fiction they read pretty quickly! Sniff!
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
RavenLady
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2005 10:14
I guess readers forget about the fan fiction they read pretty quickly! Sniff!

I don't. I keep a list of my favorite fics. But most of the stories I know about are at fanfiction.net, which I'm a lot more familiar with. For one thing, so many of the good authors there are connected, through favorites-lists ect. It's harder to know where to start at this site, even though it's smaller.

RavenLady
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 19, 2005 06:47
so many of the good authors there are connected, through favorites-lists ect.

Unless they plagiarise your work, in which case, you'll be nowhere near their favourites lists.
But the less said about that, the better.
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
Meltintalle
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2005 03:18
I find that if I like an author, it's not a bad idea to do a search on that author and find out what all they wrote... That helps a little bit in finding good one-shots.
CelticMoon
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2005 10:18
I'm a writer one short stories, mainly fan fics that are on this sight, and it can be disheartening to find no one has read your stories in a long time. I also prefer short stories to long ones.
And I agree with Meltintalle, it's always good to check back on your favourite authors, I found tons of good stories that way!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email