Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Prideoftheshire
Council Member
Send Message
Post Galadriel vs. Arwen
on: July 10, 2005 06:38
Who do you like better? Galadriel or Arwen? Post your comments and reasons too!
Galadriel
65% (2)
Arwen
28% (1)
Legolas is better than both
8% (3)
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Galadriel vs. Arwen
on: July 10, 2005 09:36
To be honest with you I'm finding it difficult to decide. They both have aspects of their personalities & appearance I really like & I'm not sure I could say I like one better than the other.
Argonath
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2005 10:35
I take Eomer's side in this historic dispute.
burak
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2005 11:31
if tolkien see that arwen is saying "if you want him come and claim him" and make a spell, he will be very sad.

in book arwen is an elf lady but in the movie she is like a warrior

only legolas is like the character in the book. i like it most.

i like galadriel too but legolas most.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s: sorry for bad english
yankeegirl
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 10, 2005 02:51
Galadriel.

I really liked her character in the movie. She most definately can be a welcome ally. I loved it how the stars were reflected in her eyes and how she carried herself. The crush Gimli had on her was cute. The phial of Galadriel was pretty cool as well. Hey, you try and get a star to liquify.
TinaHalfelven
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2005 04:24
Galadriel.

I really liked her character in the movie. She most definately can be a welcome ally. I loved it how the stars were reflected in her eyes and how she carried herself. The crush Gimli had on her was cute. The phial of Galadriel was pretty cool as well. Hey, you try and get a star to liquify.

I totally agree. Cate Blanchett also brought that aged wisdom to her and I personally think that in the movie Arwen was at the same time too breezy AND too warrior-like. That's a new combination of bad things. It just doesn't work. So, for me it's Galadriel all the way!!!!
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
on: July 10, 2005 10:30
I take Eomer's side in this historic dispute.

Lol, quite! As for beauty, I'd choose Arwen too. But just in general, I think I prefer Galadriel because she has more history too her; and because of the stars - of course. Wonderful trick of the light engineers, that!
LotrLuva
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2005 11:02
I've always preferred Galadriel more. I don't know why, she's just got an elegance and grace about her. I don't mind Arwen, though.
winter_shards
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2005 12:54
Galadriel is more powerful than Arwen and she is more experienced.
Lexshue
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2005 05:24
Galadriel hands down. Galadriel was around in the old days; so, she has alot more knowledge and power than Arwen can imagine.

[Edited on 26/7/2005 by Lexshue]
yankeegirl
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 12, 2005 08:45
I think we can add one vote for each of the three. There's a little girl at the local library who can't be any older than three. Based on the pics from the elf theme we have going on she thinks Legolas would make a nice knight in shining armor, Arwen is pretty, and Galadriel is a real faerie. :love:
Kaur
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2005 05:53
Definetly Galadriel! Her wisdom is great and her history is deep and meaningful as well she is beautiful.
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 13, 2005 06:03
I really love Arwen, but I voted for Galadriel. I totally agree with Yankeegirl.
Angel_Of_Athens
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2005 05:35
I love them both! But yet they are very different from each other so it is hard to compare.
Arwen_The_Elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2005 05:27
Arwen! Arwen Arwen Arwen! Galadriel just freaks me out in the movies.
SCP
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2005 09:48
personally I think Galadriel is more handsom than Arwen, also in the movies. She was born before the first age. And since elfs gather more beauty and wisedom when they get older she must be really really handsom and more than wise.
~~MornaNáro~~
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2005 05:06
Arwen and Legolas are pansies compared to Galadriel. lol
Kaur
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2005 05:48
they aren't pansies, it's just their difference in age.
Nienna-of-the-Valar
Loremaster of the Edain
Send Message
on: July 18, 2005 07:14
Wow, it must be the heat or something, but people are really getting a wee bit snippy lately.

It's pretty obvious, from looking at ~~MornaNáro~~'s post, that what was said, was said in jest, hence the lol and the that accompanied it. Everyone needs to relax just a little bit, ok? Thanks.
Kaur
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2005 02:41
I know. I'm sorry. I was just stating.
Cloveress
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2005 03:22
I like Galadriel too, but it seems pointless for me to say any more as everyone has all been so active on her part. But I would like to add that she is so much spiritually stronger than that granddaughter of hers. Just read about how she was like when she was young in the Silmarillion (a bit arrogant and stubborn maybe, but definately strong).
And also, Legolas is just an entirely different case here....
Green_Dragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2005 12:12
Out of the two I think Galadriel.
But Eowyn kicks both their butts.
Silima_of_Gondolin
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2005 10:49
I have to disagree, GD. Eowyn kicks butt, but not theirs. I'll have to pick Galadriel. She has the best story, and she's just cool like that.
Green_Dragon
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2005 10:55
Hey at least Eowyn goes out and does something, Galadriel just gives little short people advice.
Silima_of_Gondolin
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2005 10:59
Well, Galadriel is a grandaughter of Finwe, so she has greater lineage than Eowyn. So, what now??? That's what you get for not reading the Silmarillion.
Nienna-of-the-Valar
Loremaster of the Edain
Send Message
on: July 25, 2005 11:12
Whoa, whoa, whoa

Firstly, we don't allow personal attacks here.

Secondly, this is the Movie Forum, and therefore, it is not unexpected that some people have not read the Silmarillion. This forum is for the discussion of movie-related topics. There is no movie for the Silmarillion.

Thirdly, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so long as it is presented in a pleasant manner.

And, lastly, this thread is about Arwen and Galadriel, so discussion of Éowyn has no place here whatsoever.

Thank you .
Kaur
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2005 11:37
It's strange, somehow characters that have no connection with those currently being discussed seem to creep their way in. Hm. Anyway...

Hey at least Eowyn goes out and does something, Galadriel just gives little short people advice.

By fact, this is not correct on Galadriel's part. Sure she did not fight in any wars, actually she may have taken part in the kin slaying at Nargathrond. she is the oldest and wisest being in Middle-earth and going into battle is not the only way to influence what is going on. She is very powerful and her bearing Nenya and having the wisdom to refuse the one ring proves that. Her "little" advice and gifts greatly influence the fellowship in ways that they would not have survived and things that would have turned out to be the complete opposite. She knows the dark lords mind, or all of it that concerns the elves and that is somthing no mortal could do as she does. There's alot more to the Lady Galadriel then meets the eye.

[Edited on 25/7/2005 by Kaur]
Shadow_fax
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2005 03:05
I admire both Arwen and Galadriel in the films, Liv and Cate played their roles very well. My vote though goes to Galadriel, Lady of Light; for her wisdom, beauty, grace and strength. Galadriel is also one of my favourite characters in the book, so that's how.

And seeing as Legolas is also in this poll :dizzy: wasn't Orlando a little bit miffed and awed by the way Cate carried herself as he couldn't quite get the Elven poise the way Cate did.
Ninjoo
Craziness' Spiritual Caretaker
Send Message
on: July 26, 2005 03:32
Galadriel. I prefer her wisdom, knowledge, power and the influence she's had on ALOT of things in ME above Arwen's who, in my own silly opinion ofcourse didn't do much more then falling in love with Aragorn and made him a banner Although there's nothing wrong with that, it's just that G and A are hardly comparable.
Vanathiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 26, 2005 09:45
Galadriel all the way! She is so strong... I mean come on! She defied the Valar! She is a constant influence on the war against Sauron and aided the Fellowship in a way that no one, save someone with her power, could. Galadriel rocks my socks! Plus I just think Cate Blanchett is so fabulous. She reminds me of an Old Hollywood beauty and her talent is off the charts. She is incredible. *Bows down to Cate*
Nimeneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2005 05:47
Well, since this is speaking of the movie, I would have to say that I admire Galadriel. Of the three, I feel that she was the one who's personality in the book carried over into the movie. The mystery was portrayed well enough, and I think that PJ did a very good job in casting Cate Blanchette in that role. Cate did a very good job in that role.

Just my opinion.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: July 27, 2005 06:07
Although the "wonky" bit really had me going for a bit, I'd say Galadriel. I truly liked both portrayals, but felt that Cate Blanchett did an awesome job of showing the rather fey and otherwordly side of Elves. But I also liked Arwen. After all, she *is* Galadriel's granddaughter. Heh

As for Legolas, we're talking apples and oranges here, in my opinion. He's a warrior prince and an integral part of the Fellowship, but he doesn't have the experience of either of the ladies as far as life experiences. Nothing against him at all. He was my first "Oh my" experience when I saw the movies. :love: Then I saw it again and again and again and began to appreciate the nuances of the other performances.

[Edited on 7/27/2005 by BelleBayard]
imahobbit428
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2005 05:36
i'd have to saw Arwen. i dont have and exact reason why i've just like Arwen right of the bat. i like Galadriel but not as much as Arwen.
Failith
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2005 10:22
Im kinda caught in the middle. they're both pretty great (considering they are realted - isnt galadriel arwens' grandmother? i think that's what it says in the fotr) i would have to say Galadriel though. i think she's much more wise than arwen, who is almost totally consumed by her love for aragorn (which isnt a totally bad thing.)

ps: legolas is pretty cool too lol
Laer
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2005 04:52
I think Gladriel. Cate did a great job with her part. So did Liv and Orlando; I just feel she did better. and then there is Haldir....Good job Craig Parker!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email