Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
lord_Morgoth_of_angband
Council Member
Send Message
Post OoC discusion:Morgoth's return(only for its players)
on: July 17, 2005 09:54
There was something wrong with the thread.
let us discus it here.
the_ruler_of_all_serpents
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: OoC discusion:Morgoth's return(only for its players)
on: July 18, 2005 02:08
The Mod said there was too much godmodding. I don't see why they are getting onto us for that because godmodding is not forbidden in the TR forum, only in the TT forum. Also, they said we where becoming less and less TR, So how could we fix this.
lord_Morgoth_of_angband
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2005 03:22
I don't see a wrong point either.
Because one of my chars(dúath) is a god, and if i delete him, the story is over.
And Melkor is a bit godlike, so what is wrong with the fact that he can make a city fly.
His powers also shrink after he does a great thing like that(that was why Dúath could kill him so easily).
I will PM berethedhellen(the mod) to make her/him post the wrong things here in the thread.

[Edited on 18/7/2005 by lord_Morgoth_of_angband]
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: July 18, 2005 06:29
Where to begin? Alright kids, here goes. First, you are wrong that Godmodding is acceptable in TR but not TT. TR must be at least 75% JRRT. And I must ask you if you have ever read any of the following in any JRRT book (actually, have any of you ever read the books?):
Creating storms and then absorbing them.
Shape changing into fire-ball throwing dragons.
Transporting.
Floating cities.
Changing bodies in shape/size/age.
Changing Orcs and other baddies back to elves and good guys.
Sky ships
Mirrors shooting white lights and taking out 2-3 armies.
Enemy in the sky shooting balls of darkening.
Controlling earth.
This is but a sample of the non-Tolkien related occurrences (which, by the way, fall into the Godmodding category) and there is virtually an example in every post (and that's on just the most recent page). Other than a few well known names and locations, there is very little that relates to JRRT's books. My recommendation is that you should move this to Monkeygames as it is anything but a Tolkien storyline. I will pass this recommendation along to the other mods and get their opinion. You might also read the 4th thread at the top of the TR forum to better understand our reasoning. By the way, I'd also suggest you read the trilogy. They are really good stories of good vs. evil, without the necessity of undue Godmodding and superhuman powers.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
the_ruler_of_all_serpents
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2005 07:08
Oh, but Godmodding is acceptable in the TR forum, in fact, there is an entire thread based on Godmodding. Plus, who said all Orcs are bad? Also, creating stroms should be acceptable. Gandalf made an illusion of a storm in the first movie, and he was a second class wizard. I do believe that Saruman could have made a storm, if he wanted to and if he had concentrated enough. No, I havn't read the books, and I don't think I should have to. I think that you should get off our butts about it. I am not in the best of moods right now, so I think that you should take your narrow-minded view of TR, and stuff it. From all the other stuff we had done in the thread, you sure got your nerve coming to us now. All that 'Godmodding ' you say we are doing is me and lord_morgoth busting our rear ends trying to keep the thread alive. If it wasn't for all that 'Godmodding' , the thread would have died four pages back.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: July 18, 2005 09:22
The_Ruler_of_All_Serpents

Your fellow poster, Lord Morgoth, PM'd me to ask that I post here in OOC what I thought was not in keeping with the rules of this forum. I did that. I gave examples of what is not acceptable, per request. The TR forum is not equivalent to NT and the few examples I pointed out were beyond the realm of Tolkien and this forum.... and they were only a few of the many. NOTE: Godmodding is NOT acceptable in TR.

Further, the rules of this site require that all members be polite to fellow members and moderators/administrators. Your post lacked that level of politeness, especially as my post was in response to a legitimate request. I pointed out that I would share my post with other moderators for their opinions then get back to you all. I have done that. Your response was rude and unwarranted. I will discuss this with you directly via PM.

Bereth
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
lord_Morgoth_of_angband
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2005 10:02
bereth, i thank you for your post on 18/7/2005 at 18:29.
i have read 5 books from Tolkien so i know where i am talking about.
i shall try to explain some things i have written about.

-Shapeshifting into a dragon:
the character(Dúath) who does that is like Eru, a god.
and still Sauron could shapeshift in 'the Silmarillion'.
so why can't a god-like creature change his form to a dark dragon?

-Creating storms and then absorbing them:
same as above, Dúath has powers equal to Eru's.
And the_ruler_of_all_serpents and explained about creating storms.

-Changing Orcs and other baddies back to elves and good guys:
Melkor changed some Maiar into Balrogs and Elves into Orcs in 'the Simariillion'.
so Why can't a good version of Melkor do the opposite?

-Transporting:
In 'the Silmarillion' Sauron changed himself into a non-physical form to flee from Huan.
that is what i mean with the dark mist form.

-Enemy in the sky shooting balls of darkening:
Dúath is a god and if Eru can create something like Ëa, then why can't his nemesis do something like spawning creatures.

-Floating cities and Sky ships:
Here i have nothing to say.
this is indeed a bit Star Wars like, so this issue will be deleted as soon as i post in the story.

Controlling earth:
before the Orcs where created, Melkor built his fortress of Utumno.
But Tolkien didn't mention how it was built.
My theory is that Melkor built it by manipulating earth.

This where my explanations about the Godmodding in my story.
i hope that the thread can be kept here, because the story has advanced to far to be deleted.
dark_strider_dragon_rider
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2005 01:11
lord_Morgoth_of_angband said alot of things that I was going to say but there is a few things that I would like to elaberate on.

First-Creating storms and then absorbing them:
well Saruman did in the lord of the rings, the fellowship of the ring, use a magic sell to make the snowstorm, that was happening over many miles away, become worse and then also created a sort of earthquake to knock a tun of snow onto the heroes of the story.

Second-Changing Orcs and other baddies back to elves and good guys:
Well JRRT did create his world out of beliefs he had about certain things in the real world, and since he did use Maiar to become Balrogs and Elves to become Orcs, and since Morgoth himself was one of the Valar second only to Eru, then it makes since that they could beome good again seeing as how in the real world we can take muderers and rapist and child abusers, and "suposidly" "rehabilitate" them, then it would make since that the evil creatures could become good again in tolkiens world.

Finally--Floating cities and Sky ships:
All I have to say about this is that in the Silmarillion, I havent read it in a while so I can't remeber many names that well, there was someone who had done something great for the Valar and because of that the person was granted to use a boat to fly through the heavens with the stars, and they could still come back to Arda. So how is it hard to believe that the Valar could create some kind of flying ships, although I do say that the floating cities is a bit harder to accept even for me, one of the members of the rp.
willowluvstara13
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2005 05:31
Personally, I don't see a problem with the roleplay, but I will take the mod's words for it.

dark_strider and Lord_Morgoth bring up good points about what the mods have deemed unacceptable.

Also, in the point of floating cities, it does seem possible that a god with enough power could float a city in the air.

ANd not to sound disrespectful or anything, but it was rather rude to ask us if we'd actually read the books, because most of us have. I myself would not be on this site if I hadn't read the books.

Just a few good points.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: July 18, 2005 11:41
Why not use this OOC as it was intended and try to put your RP back on track?

[Edited on 19/7/2005 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Napolde
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2005 04:13
Oh... no... One of them is something I did first... Two! *moans* And it takes forever to save a story, but that's because my Word program can't handle data like that, so we can't die a sudden and horrible death...... *inconspicuously knocks on desk*

Why not use this OOC as it was intended and try to put your RP back on track?

Oh Great PotbellyHairyfoot, Realm of Estë member, Books and RP Moderator, Wise and Loving Grandfather... I know me and my companions' characters well, and if the problems do stop, it won't last long. So, we'll just have to move to Monkey Games.

I'm getting lots of experience on roleplays here...
Rasputina
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2005 06:24
Okay, Yesterday I recieved a PM as well on the progress of the RP, (I had to leave the computer for awhile, and thus my post came after the Mods... Sorry!).

First things first, I believe the flying cities will have to go. It was alittle suspicious for me at first, and confusing. It seems very un-tolkien like, but I do understand lord_morgoth's reasoning of transportation. Even though, I might have to put in the vote to get rid of the flying cities. Sorry my friends, it just doesn't seem very well...Er... You get my point.

Controlling earth:
before the Orcs where created, Melkor built his fortress of Utumno.
But Tolkien didn't mention how it was built.
My theory is that Melkor built it by manipulating earth.

I do agree with this, even though Tolkien did not mention what material was fashioned for Melkor's fortress before the coming about of Orcs, it can be very good guess since earth=(arda; soil, stone, ect.) and it is the only other option to create such a thing, without manual labor from many other beings.

Okay, for my own making, Eressea is no longer going to have a mirror. The mirror is gone, and I will resume my character back or even further into a bound-to-arda-forever spirit. Although, I will make it so Eressea does not transport everytime it has to go somewhere. Walking, running or jogging will have to do for short distances, anything longer than about 25 leagues will have to be transportation through a different method. I hope this is okay with everyone, if there is a problem of any short, please do not hesitate to PM.

.:~R~:.
lord_Morgoth_of_angband
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 19, 2005 09:11
Ok guys, let us do what potbellyhairyfoot says.
Stop this discussion and go on with our story.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email