Register

Author Topic:
Nahald
Council Member
Send Message
Post What is Sam's most Heart-rending scene
on: August 18, 2005 03:09
What is Sam's most heart-rending scene in the LOTR film trilogy
When Frod leaves for Mordor at the end of FOTR (don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee)
2% (1)
On The Stairs at Cirith Ungol (Go home Sam)
20% (8)
The Slopes of Mount Doom (I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!)
27% (1)
Crack of Doom (Don't you let go)
10% (4)
When Frodo leaves for the West
29% (1)
Other
5% (2)
I prefer the books
7% (3)
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: What is Sam's most Heart-rending scene
on: August 18, 2005 03:24
You're making me choose only ONE?! That's impossible for me.
Nahald
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2005 03:51
Yeah I know what you mean! When I made the Poll I kept thinking 'But they're all great!'

[Edited on 20/8/2005 by Nahald]
~Aiwë~
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2005 07:52
It's so hard to choose! But I voted "When Frodo leaves for the West". When he says "You can't leave." I just break down. :cry:
hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2005 10:35
I chose the one I did (Leaves for the West) on the basis of not only how heart-rending it was for the audience, but for the character, too.

The rest of the scenes are heart-rending, but also stirring because Sam always has that implied choice...he COULD just forget it, walk away, go home; but he doesn't. He exerts the power he has in the situation and determines to stay, help, fight, be loyal.

I hurt for him most in the Leaves for the West scene because for, the first time, that choice is removed. Nothing he can do can change what is happening; and that kind of helplessness is like having your heart ripped out...

[Edited on 19/8/2005 by hobbitnamedeliza]
songbird13
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2005 12:14
i'd have to say on the Slopes of mount Dom....That was so sad!
LadyWoodelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2005 01:29
I had a hard time choosing between the stairs at Cirith Ungol and when Frodo leaves for the West. I choose when Frodo leaves for the West. That was the scene that made me cry too. Gandalf was leaving too. So that made it even more sad.
Nick_5
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2005 04:26
Cracks of Doom

It was tied between Cracks of Doom and when Frodo leaves for the West. Actually the scene that always bring tears to my eyes is when Frodo says: I'm glad your with me, Samwise Gamgee (sp?), here at the end of all things (I think that's it).
Sariné~Etarellea
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 19, 2005 02:15
I voted the 'I cant carry it for you, but I can carry you' scene.

That part is just SOOOOO cowl, I was laughing and crying at the same time:cry: (weird huh?) But it was difficult to choose.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2005 04:11
I chose other. I liked his speech at Osgilath. Very inspiring!:love:
Alkin
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2005 09:52
I like the scene in TTT when Sam tells Frodo about the old stories. (There is still some hope left in this world Mr.Frodo and it's worth fighting for.)
Sam_Gamgee
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2005 04:41
On the Steps was the most saddening for me, but on Mood Doom when he carries Frodo is the one that still gives me goosebumps. It's what I would like to do for all my friends, to carry them in their time of need, when all hope has seemed to abandon them. Though I realize that it is impossible to do that for everyone all the time, I still try my hardest... even if I only lighten the load a little.
songbird13
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2005 06:25
That is so sweet Sam_Gamgee:cry:
hollyhynes
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2006 01:17
Before I saw LOTR, I never cried during any sad films, but LOTR has opened the floodgates big time, thanks to a certain wonderful Hobbit named Samwise Gamgee!

The saddest Sam scene for me would probably be the "I can't carry 'it' for you, but I can carry you" scene. I can't watch that scene without bursting into tears! & is also why the music of 'Into the West' has me in tears as well!

I am probably one of Sam's biggest fans ever, as watching him in LOTR has gotten me through some really rough times. I'm 18 years old & have had countless operations from birth till I was 17, so Lotr, Sam, Frodo & Elijah helped me tremendously since LOTR came out in 2001.

Another bit of proof about how Sam mad I am, throughout the whole trilogy 9 scenes make me cry & 7 of them are Sam scenes. & I love Frodo to pieces as well, (I have had a major crush on Elijah for the last 4 and a half years!) but as I hate anyone who hurts Sam emotionally,ie hurting his feelings, or physically. I hate Frodo when he tells Sam to go home (I wont say what I call that scene!) & is also why I hate Gollum so much!

I love you loads Samwise Gamgee!!!!!:heart::heart:
Serenity0047
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2006 12:48
i love the 'i can't carry it for you' scene, that is my favorite out of the choices. but whoever posted the poll in the first place left out my all time favorite one! after the ring is destroyed, just before frodo says i'm glad you're here with me samwise.
Frodo: i can see the shire. The brandywine river. bag end. Gandalf's fireworks. the lights in the party tree.
(here it comes! bring out the tissues)
Sam: Rosie Cotton dancing. she had ribbons in her hair. if ever i was to marry someone, it would have been her. it would have been her!
(sam begins to cry, and i follow.)
that line sam says just tore my heart out!
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2006 12:54
I'm going to have to go with "Other". I love Sam's speech at the end of two towers. It embodies so many things for me but mainly it reminds me to never give up hope. Even when I hear the music from that scene I start to tear up.
Stari
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2006 06:26
I love the "Go home Sam," scence. Well, maybe love isn't the right word. At times I hate it becuase it makes me cry and I hate crying at movies becuase...well...they're just movies!
But that part is so...personal.
Okay, I just spent about half an hour trying to describe why it's so heart rending, but I kept backspacing it becuase it didn't really sound right. So I guess I can't describe why, it just is.
KingxElessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2006 09:28
I was just watching ROTK and it's tough to pick between..

Go home Sam

You can't leave

But I can carry you

The one I get the most misty-eyed at is the farewell scene at the end. But the emotion, loyalty, love, everything rolled into one scene is the "but I can carry you" scene.
Brethil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 06, 2007 12:45
I voted for the 'don't you leave him samwise gamgee' scene as when I first saw fellowship I was sad that the film was ending but also the way the violins come up on the bit he gets into the boat just twangs a heartstring. :cry:

But of course I always have a cry at the grey havens scene and the window scene in TTT. Spose you could say that I just cry at the end of all the films
KBrandybuck
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2007 03:11
I had trouble choosing, but i decided to vote for "go home sam" cuz that part just wrenches my heart out! Sam is so loyal and Frodo didn't understand that he was giving into Gollum. I love Sam, he's just the all time best
Denethorsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2007 02:21
I like the part when Sam is talking about Rose before the eagles come to get them. Also "I can't carry the ring"
~Arwen~
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2007 10:50
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you...that's my fave :love:
Dolen_i_vad_a_nin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 25, 2007 10:56
I voted for when they are in Mount Doom, when Sam says "Dont let go." That part gets me everytime.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 26, 2007 04:50
Mount Doom also.
Adudaewen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2007 10:15
My all time favorite moments in the books and in the movies are when Sam says to Frodo "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" and "Don't go where I can't follow" (after Shelob stings Frodo). those moments choke me up every single time.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email