Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post HTML
on: December 01, 2002 06:08
HTML is a website designing language, and you can use it in your signature. It is a bit more reliable than BB code.Here are some basics, feel free to add to them.

Images

Links
CLICK HERE OR for an image link

Color is a bit more difficult...I'd suggest BB code for that

Italic
FONT

Bold
FONT

Underline
FONT

Aligning
HTML
HTML
HTML

add on to these, or try them out...
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
Post RE: HTML
on: December 02, 2002 05:46
Oh, and for anyone who wants a site that has a great HTML tutorial....go here....

http://www.boomspeed.com/host/tutorial3.htm#basic

Orosarniel
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 03, 2002 10:37
I would also suggest:

http://www.lissaexplains.com
Saurid
-Yutaka-
··
Beloved\'s Fighter

Send Message
on: September 10, 2003 05:06
Here's also a site with html color codes. If you want to color the font in your signature, for instance, you should use the following code:
[example html color code: FFFFFF (white)]
text

the site:

http://html-color-codes.com
Náredhil
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2004 06:10
i love html and whenever i have free time i love to make my own sites, HTML (hyper-text-markup-language, if you didn't know) is the only computer language i use to make sites, even tho many say its hard, i love it. If you have any questions don't be afraid to PM me.

~also for colors you can do

~to have a marquee (scrolling text like in my siggy) simply use this code

type whatever you want in here

have any questioins? want a HTML code for something, look no further, PM me!
MaddyLakeDeep
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2004 09:01
I've been wondering why I can't use colors in my messages, because HTML is off when I want to reply I'll check and see that the smilies are on, BB code is on and img code is on. But not HTML. Is it something I'm doing wrong? Can someone help me with that? I would really appreciate it.
Náredhil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2004 12:17
okay, here's what you are looking for...type in (replacing < > with [ ]) type..what you wanna say included here is a great table of the things you can do with BB code i've provided for you, hope this help everyone!

(bold text)This is sample text This is sample text

(strikethrough)This is sample text This is sample text

(italics)This is sample text This is sample text

(underline)This is sample text This is sample text

(email link)[email protected] [email protected]

(email link with custom text)Click here! Click here!

(hyperlink)http://www.domain.com http://www.domain.com

(hyperlink with custom text)Click here! Click here!

(text size)This is sample text This is sample text

(font face)This is sample text This is sample text

(font color)This is sample text This is sample text

(image)
http://67.18.37.17/style_images/1/icon11.gif

(list with bullets)
  • List Item [*]List Item List Item
  • List Item

(list with numbers)
  • List Item

(list with letters)
  • List Item

(list with numerals)
  • List Item

(quote)This is sample text QUOTE
    This is sample text

*remember that the tags (<>) have to be replaced with brackets ([ ]) for these to work, hope you find this useful* ^_~
    sairina_star
    CoE Volunteer
    Send Message
    on: August 18, 2004 09:36
    I have no idea how ~Venora~ did that.

Can someone help?

[Edited on 18/8/2004 by sairina_star]
    lindele
    CoE Volunteer
    Send Message
    on: August 24, 2004 06:46
    to make a link, sairina, you do textyouwanttosee Note the spaces in the code to keep it from activating.

to make an image link, do
    LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
    CoE Volunteer
    Send Message
    on: September 03, 2004 01:05
    Ook, i just read that if u put a picture in ur signature from a site that's bad and it costs the site money if u do that. Now i want to put a picture from a site in MY sig and i was just wondering if i would get in trouble lol??
    You're talking about hotlinking... this is when you right-click on an image, go to "properties", and you see a url there. If you use that url (in HTML - ) you're directly taking the image from the site, and that isn't good. You can get your own url for the picture by uploading it to a site like PhotoBucket.
    Atolkienhead
    CoE Volunteer
    Send Message
    on: November 05, 2004 01:16
    I can not center anything. Not text or images. I have tried every way I can think of to make it work but it will not work in a string of code. Is there a limit to the number of codes you can string together? Is the code different to center an image? I have no trouble using any of the other commands in bbcode so what on earth is the problem!!!! Help, please!
    Springie
    Council Member
    Send Message
    on: November 30, 2004 09:42
    Can anyone, please tell me how to turn the HTML code on? And why my sig doesn't save? Oh, and does this forum support styles? Thanks!
    Faenauliel
    Enethdan Edhellen
    Send Message
    on: April 29, 2005 11:24
    I am having a problem getting an image link to work in my journal, I know that the link is allowed, but it doesn't seem to want to load..... Could it be because of the html not working with BB?!?! Please explain with small words... I am both blonde AND a technoTook!
    Aragorn1
    Council Member
    Send Message
    on: January 13, 2006 02:14
    How do I include a link in an e-mail?
    Ninjoo
    Craziness' Spiritual Caretaker
    Send Message
    on: January 15, 2006 09:46
    Do you mean inserting a link to a webpage in an email, or create a link that'll create an email to your emailaddress?

The first option:
    Most email programs often recognize an url automatically, so when you type http://www etc, it'll automatically be turned into a link.

Second option:
    In desperate need of an email! (or some other text, of course )
    NellasTaralom
    CoE Volunteer
    Send Message
    on: June 10, 2009 04:32
    hey, could comeone help me out??? I'm chronically computer-clueless. I can't for the life of me post a link that doesn't show up like this: (example) www.yahoo.com.

I want to be able to post links that look like this, for example: clink here.

I've tried using this, CLICK HERE, but when I posted it, it didn't say click here, it just showed the entire url. What do I do?????
    BerethEdhellen
    RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
    Send Message
    on: June 11, 2009 12:13
    Is THIS what you're looking for?
    Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
    NellasTaralom
    CoE Volunteer
    Send Message
    on: June 12, 2009 02:38
    Yes, thank you thank you thank you!!!!
    Leoflic_Nightleaf
    Council Member
    Send Message
    This is a very old thread that should probably be closed as it is now irrelevant. HTML was deprecated on CoE a long time ago, as it is very dangerous to let users play around with it. If you want to do programming, I suggest W3School's tutorial. You can find it here. If you want to use it though, you should just create your own website, or just practice locally on your machine.
    NenyaGold
    Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
    Send Message
    I wasn't aware that HTML was a problem. I use it in my signature. Here's how I coded it, which even includes a link to a photo on another site:

< a href="http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs31/f/2008/205/1/d/1db7a3ff44ab046c78dc31831979372a.jpg
    "target="_blankfont face="Papyrus">< font color=ff9933>
    "He had a ring, a golden ring, a precious ring." ~ from < i >The Hobbit < /a > < / font>

without all of the blank spaces around the < >'s.

Here's the result in my sig.

[Edited on 10/16/2014 by NenyaGold]
    Evil~Shieldmaiden
    Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
    Send Message
    Thanks to elven_fencer for giving me the HTML coding to add coloured text to my signature. You help was greatly appreciated. The coding she passed along is:

<p> <font color=”Royal Blue”>"Blue text goes here</font> </p>

Don't forget to remove the space between <p> and <font color> and <p> and </font> or it won't work.

Sometime later:

If you're trying to use color in your signature, you will find that most of the hex codes don't work for some odd reason. I have finally found a list of colors that can be used on all sites.

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_colornames.asp

[Edited on 10/04/2014 by Evil~Shieldmaiden]
    Lindarielwen
    Council Member
    Send Message
    I was going to agree with Leoflic_Nightleaf about using the HTML. If you do not do it properly, this website's security will blacklist your IP and you will not be able to log on to CoE.
    My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
    Evil~Shieldmaiden
    Games Moderator, and Chief Corrupted Weaver of Vairë
    Send Message
    Lindarielwen said: I was going to agree with Leoflic_Nightleaf about using the HTML. If you do not do it properly, this website's security will blacklist your IP and you will not be able to log on to CoE.
    Really?

I know that the site can be finicky about where you can and cannot use BB coding vs HTML coding but I wasn't aware that it was that finicky.
    Lindarielwen
    Council Member
    Send Message
    I am sooo bad with technical stuff. This was told to me by someone who no longer is active here. As for me, I don't even try to do any of that stuff.

This page is way off center for me. It hangs over the edge maybe an inch.
    My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
    Sundown
    Council Member
    Send Message
    Yes, this page is way off center and hangs off the edge. Probably due to HTML coding done in the previous posts.
    The site is not smart enough to know if you wrote bad HTML code to blacklist your IP. However, the moderators are capable of watching the posts and can see when someone's bad HTML disrupts the site and can take action accordingly.
    "Sundown: 'Sexy, right?' Abby: 'Oh yeah, baby. You're so hot right now, if I was a chicken I'd lay hard-boiled eggs.'" ― Sherrilyn Kenyon, Retribution
    tarcolan
    Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
    Send Message
    The extra page width is to accommodate Nenya Gold's very long line of HTML as it doesn't have any spaces in it until the "_blankfont face" bit. Browsers takes no notice of newlines in HTML so if anyone wants to show a line of html they can put line breaks in.

I'll edit Nenya Gold's post to put a line break in in a week or two, and you'll see the thread go back to normal.

HTML can only be used in a signature. In the body of the post will not get interpreted so it's safe to put it in as it is, you don't need to add spaces, as you can see below.

Here is the HTML in my sig what I just didded all by myself

<font color="#123456"> Your text here.</font>
    Note the double quotes and hash, required by some browsers. As you can see it's a sort of dark blue with those numbers. They are three pairs of hex numbers, which go from 0 to 15 by using letters - 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F
    Two hex digits give a number from 0 to 255. There are three colours arranged as red, green, blue. So #0000FF is full blue and #FFFF00 would be yellow (red and green make yellow). Black is #000000 but text is black by default so a bit pointless to use that.

This HTML code is sent to your browser as-is, and it's the browser that interprets it, so as long as it's correct any colours can be used. Hope this all helps.

[another edit]
    Ooh, ooh, I just had another idea. Copy this next bit out and paste it into a text editor like Notepad, then save it as testpage.html. Then you can open it in your browser (File/Open) and tinker with the colours before doing your sig. You can also put image links or href links as well to test them. It saves having to change your profile all the time. Note the background colour is the light green used in the forum.

<html>
    <head>

</head>
    <body bgcolor="#c6f4a1">
    Test page</br>
    The darker background colour is #effee3</br>

<font color="#880033">This is your text</font>

</body>
    </html>

Not this bit.
    Handy HTML reference- http://www.htmlref.com/

[Edited on 10/15/2014 by tarcolan]
    NenyaGold
    Legend of Lothlórien & Head Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
    Send Message
    I edited my post and it's ok now. Sorry for the distortion.
    Members Online
    Print Friendly, PDF & Email