Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Figwit
Book Club Moderator & Misty Mountain Monster
Send Message
Post TTT Sequence by Sequence roundup: Favourite scene from TTT
on: August 27, 2005 11:32
Yup, did it for this series as well, and I included the EE threads as well. It's a bit weird, because some bits got 43% of the votes in that particular thread, but only 0,74% of the total votes... poor Merry and Pippin

Out of our own top-10, which scene do you prefer?
Figwit
Send Message
Post RE: TTT Sequence by Sequence roundup: Favourite scene from TTT
on: August 28, 2005 12:09
1. the flash-forward to Aragorn's death
This one was pretty surprising as well. Though I personally thought it was one of the most beautiful scenes in TTT, and a very nice salute to Tolkien's works, it still contains the much-resented Arwen.
This little scene however, is still very stunning - both emotionally, and visually: Aragorn going from a beautiful yet terribly dead man to a marble statute, followed by Arwen's mourning figure, all cloaked in black. It shows a glimpse of the future, of what Arwen is willing to go through for him, and it makes her return in ROTK all the braver.

2. the conversation between Gollum and Sméagol
This should have been enough for the Academy to bow down before Any Serkis and offer him that much-deserved Supporting Actor Oscar. Amazing in its simplicity, emotional and intelligent, and a great display of Serkis' and Fran Walsh's amazing insight in this stunning character.

3. Cooking with Sam & Sméagol
Definitely a funny and sweet scene, with Sam edging towards Gollum just a little.

4. The Sons of the Steward (EE with Boromir and Denethor)
Such an amazing scene! Sean Bean is not only stunningly handsome in his armour, but it shows us a more human side of both Faramir and Boromir. Very sweet, with a stunning debut by John Noble. Too bad ROTK didn't live up to the expectations created here...

5. Gollum, just Gollum
Awesome, just awesome.

6.Pippin dropping the brooch from the back of an Uruk
This is weird no? It just appeared in the top-10. Well, if you guys like it, who am I do disagree .

7. confrontation with the Rohirrim
Stunning scene! The Rohirrim coming about as one horse! Éomer, restless and edgy, interrogating the strangers - Urban's performance drifting between anger at being hindered and the need to help them. Gimli, so eager to find the hobbits that he almost stumbles over his own words.
This scene is as far from the book as it could be without becoming totally wrong, and still as close to Tolkien as any scene in TTT. And Karl Urban is stunning here - a really good actor, who deserves a lot better than 'Ghost Ship' or 'Doom'.

8. Gollum in the Forbidden Pool
A crucial scene, with a really cute and happy Gollum suddenly being betrayed. I don't like the part Faramir plays in all of this, and it doesn't go with the book either in terms of how Frodo and Gollum relate to eachother, but it's still very moving.

9. the conversation between Arwen and Elrond
Arwen again! This is a beautiful scene, just in terms of how it looks, but I don't like it. Elrond is a big meany, and I don't like how Arwen just ups and leaves like that.

10. Éomer finding Théodred (EE)
And what's this one doing here, huh? 3% of all votes, really, so many wet-and-angsty-Éomer-fans out there? We should start a fan club! :drool:

So, I voted for #2 - Gollum & Sméagol, though both Aragorn's death and the Riders of Rohan were possible winners here.

As for the rest of the top-20:
11. the conversation between Frodo and Gollum in the Dead Marshes
12. the arrival of the company in Edoras
13. the Uruks and Orcs fighting before they get attacked
14. the flashback scene of Arwen and Aragorn in Rivendell
15. Théoden's despair and the arrival of Gandalf at the end of the Battle
16. Sam's speech in Osgiliath
17. the passage of the Dead Marshes
18. the Black Gate set
19. Faramir (???!!!)
20. the Balrog prologue
Aervir
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2005 11:08
Oh my, that was quite a hard decision! My actual favourite moment from TTT didn't turn up in the Top 10 (Éowyn, having fled from Grima, is standing in front of Meduseld), and I simply couldn't make up my mind between two of the options offered here.

The conversation between Gollum and Sméagol was a very, very close second, for its amazing combination of acting and CGI technology, but in the end, I voted for the foreshadowing of Aragorn's death.

Generally speaking, I don't care much for either movie!Arwen or Liv Tyler, which is why I have a bit of hard time trying to relate to the love story between Aragorn and Arwen in the film (my apologies to all fans of Liv Tylers and A/A shippers...!).

However, this scene made use of some of the most heart-breaking lines in Tolkien's appendix in such an effective manner! Hearing the voiceover pronounce Arwen's doom, describing the "Evenstar of her people" with the words, "as nightfall in winter that comes without a star", while the image seems to be frozen in a glorious but cold painting, brings tears into my eyes every time I watch the movie. This is the one scene for me where I see Arwen as I've imagined her, the burden she has to bear and the consequences of her love, getting a glimpse into the complex problem of human mortality and elven immortality. In brief: stunning and breath-taking.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: August 30, 2005 08:04
I picked the confrontation with the Rohirrim; OK, it wasn't exactly like the corresponding scene in the book, but close enough to catch the spirit of it, and definitely well made. (Not to mention Karl Urban. )

Actually, my personal favourite scene would have been Théoden mourning on his son's grave - another one that wasn't in the books, but just gets me every time.
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 11:13
definnetly Sons of the Steward. It's too bad this wasn't in the original, because it was such a great scene and explained how Denethor felt about Faramir and Boromir.
Nick_5
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 09:38
Flash forward to Aragon's death
Dolen_i_vad_a_nin
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 05:32
My top one wasn't in the top 10.
The flashback of Aragorn and Arwen in Rivendell was my number one scene, with the extended part where he tells her that there relationship was a dream, nothing more. I have to give my respect to PJ for this scene on how beautifully it was shot, the use of the language, and just on how he gave a bit more history in the movie for Aragorn and Arwen. I loved it!

My VERY CLOSE second is Sons of the Steward. This scene I see as a teaser for the next movie. It makes you think:
1) What is Gondor going to look like?
2) How are they going to portray Denethor's madness?
I was so excited when this scene was put back in the extended!
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 10:44
Well, my fav scenes did not make the top ten.

My absolute favorite is when the sun rises at Helm's Deep, and Gandalf shows up with the Rohirrim (even though Eomer was already there in the book). Close second would be the fast-forward to Aragorn's , and third would be March of the Ents. That is such a great scene.
:cheers:

Send Message
on: September 26, 2005 11:15
Oh yes, The Last March of the Ents is so cool, I :heart: the music!
Figwit
Send Message
on: December 28, 2005 12:59
Okay guys, with the new section looming on the horizon, I really need your imput here. Please take a vote, and explain why you chose this particular scene as your favourite!
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2005 11:16
I chose the FF to Aragorn's death. It was something only touched on in the books, and well-done in the movie. Plus it pretty much nutshells Arewn's whole story in the movies.

The best scene was definetly the march of the Ents. Or Merry & Pip finding the pipe-weed.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: December 29, 2005 02:29
I chose the conversation with Elrond and Arwen, because it was a touching scene and it lets you know just how real the choice is for Arwen.
Denethorsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 18, 2006 06:35
My favorite scene from the TTT is the Ring of Barahir. It reminds you that Aragorn is going to be king and that he is a threat to the dark forces. I also like it because of Grima. Won't go into detail,can't swoon on this section.
Sassyfriend
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: TTT Sequence by Sequence roundup: Favourite scene from TTT
on: September 22, 2012 01:26
Loved the scenes with Boromir and Denethor
belldoras
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2012 07:40
I enjoyed the cooking scene with Sam and Gollum it seems to be the only piece in the whole trilogy where they actually get to converse with each other without any suspicious thoughts hanging over their heads.

This scene becomes the leading piece that takes us to my other favourite piece, the meeting up with Faramir and his band.
Sassyfriend
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2012 03:41
Loved the cooking part too
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email