Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
Post MPREG What's the attraction?
on: September 19, 2005 07:14
Can anyone out there tell me what the attraction of mpreg fiction is? I just don't get it - I have read some but I tend to avoid it as I don't see the point. Any mpreg fans out there care to explain?
Nienna-of-the-Valar
Loremaster of the Edain
Send Message
Post RE: MPREG What's the attraction?
on: September 20, 2005 04:18
I don't write mpreg, nor am I a 'fan' of it, but I have read some. I will say though, that when I have read it, it does make me roll my eyes and giggle a good deal - less if it is written well, but that's often not the case.

I suppose that the want to write or read mpreg is the same as writing/reading any other pregnancy - either to add drama to a relationship or to just further the relationship by the addition of a child to the 'family'.

I mean, really, why does anyone get their character(s) pregnant?

Often it is to add drama. An unwanted or unexpected pregnancy is a good (if not maybe also cliché) way to add angst. It would add drama if it was a het. relationship, so it would follow suit that a slash relationship would suffer the same.

In fewer cases the pregnancy would just cement a relationship. If a couple was to fall in love, get married, then the next logical step (to most people) is to have children, no? This is true for gay couples as well, not just het. couples.

And also, in some cases, pregnancies are just a product of the minds of children/teenagers (no offense here intended) who think that having a baby would be ubercool!

All of that said, those seem to me the 'reasons' behind having any character get pregnant in a fanfic/rp. There's only one reason why I find it silly when it's a man vs. a woman, and that is because it just is not possible. And the very idea of a man being pregnant makes me want to burst out in hysterics.

In theory it is fine, but in reality, it seems to me a bit odd. *shrugs*
j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 04:37
I alot of these fics I read they just seem to avoid hete couple at all costs, even when it involes OCs.
I can't stand MPREG, because if they become pregant they technically they're male. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2005 06:30
Thanks for your views guys, Why is it almost always Legolas? I suppose it is becausse he comes over as having some so called 'feminine' traits but I don't know how he finds the time in between getting captured, tortured ravished and rescuing Mary Sue. He is one very busy elf!
j_mercuryuk
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 06:03
That he is. MPREG are elves 90% of the time. Personally I think they should just take the small step and make them female, it isn't a big step in many cases.
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 06:14
uote: That he is. MPREG are elves 90% of the time. Personally I think they should just take the small step and make them female, it isn't a big step in many cases.

Hmm, Legolas has a sex change ....I haven't seen a fanfic with that theme but it could be interesting!

Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2005 03:03
What if it's strictly canon? I mean, describing pregnancies that actually happen in the books, like Celebrian having the twins, or Arwen. Would that count as MPREG?
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2005 08:59
Ireth, As far as I know MPREG stands for Male pregnancy so it cant be canon. I still think it's pretty weird but hey it takes all sorts......

Regards

HT
pippin_lovin_fool
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2005 11:59
UGH!!!!! MPREG! Dude....dont even get me started.....*goes off to shout about mpreg....90% of what plf is shouting not reprintable on CoE*
pippin_lovin_fool
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2005 03:18
Now that i've had some time to cool off, let me thoroughly explain my opinion. i have never (nor do i ever want to ) read Male mpreg stories...however, there is a very good fic lovingly housed here @ CoE, called "of sunrise and sunset" by ithillinde. Very very good romance fic, and it involves the main character becoming pregnant with the child of someone other than her husband (not giving anything away, in case you want to read it). Though it is not a focal point in the story, it helps to drive the angst. Very tastefully written, therefore good. Some instances of pregnancy in fics can be a good choice to drive the story....but man pregnancy is (not only impossible) but weird....and wrong. If there are fans of that kind of fic out there and i have insulted you, sorry, but i just really don’t like that kind of story. Even slash is better than that in my opinion.
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: October 07, 2005 06:01
Um, yeah. I agree with everything everyone has said, at least with regard to MPREG. It's physically impossible (unless you're a seahorse LOL).

Pregnancy in itself, however, *can* be a sickly sweet Mary-Sue situation, or it can be a very essential and well-written plot line. The whole of one of the storylines in my latest RP is based on the fact a girl became accidentally pregnant and hid the resulting kid from the father for many years, causing all sorts of interesting results, from happiness to pure anger, and everything in between.
punk_angel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2005 08:13
For the few MPREG stories I've read, the reason it's almost always Elves is that the writer has tweaked the Elven race so that males can become pregnant under restrictions set by the author (it often runs in blood lines). As to why it's almost always Legolas: well, there's a lot of Aragorn & Legolas stories, plus Legolas is often seen as young for an Elf, so he seems as a logical-ish choice.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email