Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post QOTW Nov 7th 1.II. Narn i hîn Húrin (part 1)
on: November 07, 2005 01:32
'What is a thrall?'; asked Tûrin.
'A man who was a man but is treated as a beast,' Sador answered.'fed only to keep alive, kept alive only to toil, toiling only for fear of pain or death. And from these robbers he may getpain of death just for sport. I hear that they pick some of the fleet-footed and hunt them with hounds. They have learned quicker from the Orcs than we learnt from the Fair Folk.'

It is often case with men ( including our own progenitors) that evil seems easier to learn than good.

Conquered peoples often suffer and are persecuted just from being somehow different from the conquerors, as though the aparent differences make them a lessor people and justify the persecution.

[Edited on 7/11/2005 by PotbellyHairyfoot]

[Edited on 8/11/2005 by Figwit]
Miththoliel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: QOTW Nov 7th 1.II. Narn i hîn Húrin (part 1)
on: November 12, 2005 07:14
[quote It is often case with men ( including our own progenitors) that evil seems easier to learn than good.

Conquered peoples often suffer and are persecuted just from being somehow different from the conquerors, as though the aparent differences make them a lessor people and justify the persecution.

Unfortunately, this is so true. Kind of like how it is easier to walk the broad highway to Hell than the straight and narrow road to Heaven.

I still am amazed and saddened at Turin's up-bringing. (See last 2 paragraphs on pg. 58 and also read pg. 59.) He often seemed such a hardened man but after reading this section I can understand why. His mother, Morwen, did not provide the love and compassion a child needs. And his father, Hurin, was not often home. One has to wonder what character Turin would have been had he not befriended Sador.
Calaquende
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: QOTW Nov 7th 1.II. Narn i hîn Húrin (part 1)
on: November 15, 2005 02:24
It is often case with men ( including our own progenitors) that evil seems easier to learn than good.

Unfortunately, it's right. It's always easier to use violence than to seek solidarity and coexistence, it's always easier to think about yourself than to care for the others. It's always easier to be immoral than to be good because ohterwise who would chose to be evil? Or what merit and value would the good deeds have?

'What is a thrall?'; asked Tûrin.
'A man who was a man but is treated as a beast,' Sador answered.'fed only to keep alive, kept alive only to toil, toiling only for fear of pain or death. And from these robbers he may getpain of death just for sport. I hear that they pick some of the fleet-footed and hunt them with hounds. They have learned quicker from the Orcs than we learnt from the Fair Folk.'

That quote also shows the problem of dehumanization. It is similar to how people were/are treated by communists or fascists in totalitarist regimes based on Marks and Nietzsche's visions of humanity: as if the there could be no communion among men but an eternal struggle of classes/houses (communism) or as if the difference between human beings was so immense that they could be treated equally or even as one species (fascism): some as rulers others as "beasts".

It is alike the People of Marach were treated by Easterlings after Nirnaeth Arnoediad: "as if they were beasts" ruthlessly used for work and pleasure. When you read Sador's reply it's actually hard to believe that they belong to the same, human race: a neat example of the downfall of humanism. And Labadal's conclusion seems the best: "They have learned quicker from the Orcs than we learnt from the Fair Folk". Too true I'm afraid.

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email