Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post QOTW Nov 14th 1.II. Narn i hîn Húrin
on: November 14, 2005 12:42
In the court of King Thingol;
But Saeros dwelt mostly in Menegroth, and won the esteem of the king, and he was proud, dealing haughtily with those whom he deemed to be of lesser state and worth than himself. He became a friend of Daeron the minstrel, for he was skilled in song; and he had no love of Men, and least of all for any Kinsman of Beren Erchamion. "Is it not strange,' said he , 'that this land should be opened to another of this unhappyrace? Did not the other doharm enough in Doriath?' Therefore he looked askance on Túrin and on all that he did , saying what il he could of it; but his words were cunning and his malice veiled.'

( I just like occasionally posting reminders that not all of the Elves were 'fair folk'. )
Both Saeros and Daeron seem not much better than Wormtongue; using their positions to belittle others.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
Post RE: QOTW Nov 14th 1.II. Narn i hîn Húrin
on: November 15, 2005 06:47
Here again, pride seems to be the root of all evil; and in the end, it became the downfall of Saeros as well.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: November 15, 2005 01:23
In a way perhaps Pride was the greatest character flaw in the Elves. An overabundance of that characteristic led to the downfall of many First Age Elves, from Feanor through Thingol.

[Edited on 16/11/2005 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Calaquende
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 16, 2005 02:32
Pride was definitely a common feature of the Eldar, especially in the First Age - the times of their glory. However, I think that there was another flaw crucial for such attitude of Searos and Dearon towards men: envy.

Dearon (as most musicians) was a very fragile and full of passion person and his love to Luthien must have been deep, not quenched even by the awareness that his desires will never be realized. And than comes one of the mortals who gains the love of Tinuviel and, through great deeds, deserves Thingol's and Melian's blessing for their marriage. Dearon must have really begrudged him and that explains why "he had no love of Men, and least of all for any Kinsman of Beren Erchamion".

As for Searos, he was an incomer, one of the Nandor who moved to Doriath and became Thingol's folk and though he became a counsellor of the very king Elwe, he apparently never got rid of his feeling of being somewhat "worse" than the others. That's why the succesful "careeer" of a mortal man, being more revered by the people of Doriath than he must have cause a feeling of envy in Searos heart and deepened his inferiority complex. Being weak at will and arms he tried to cause Turin's disrepute by cunning gossip, hypocritical words and provoking attitude. Indeed, very much like Wormtongue, resembing him even in the shamefulness and dishonour of his death.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email