Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
pv
Council Member
Send Message
Post Types of writing...
on: January 10, 2006 11:52
As a reader/writer of fan fiction, which kind of writing do you prefer to read/write?
Jane Austen's kind - realistic, understated writing which only hints at the characters' emotions
Emily Bronte's kind - emotional writing, with characters howling at the moon when they're upset.
Jane Austen
27% (4)
Emily Bronte
67% (1)
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
olero
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Types of writing...
on: January 11, 2006 03:15
Any intervening variants?
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 07:17
I like to see a lot of emotion in stories as long as it is done really well so I went for Emily Bronte. I have never actually read Jane Austen or Emily Bronte's work because I don't feel I would fully understand it. Still I like emotional writing the best!
RavenLady
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 11:30
I haven't read either author, but I think I prefer to read about more understated emotions, most of the time.
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 11, 2006 06:46
Any intervening variants?

Of course! There are so many shades of grey in between! Please feel free to talk about any author whose style you admire!

I think I prefer to read about more understated emotions

I do too! But the odd thing is, when I write, it comes out more like Emily Bronte. So I hate reading my own work!
olero
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 09:59

Of course! There are so many shades of grey in between! Please feel free to talk about any author whose style you admire!

(Risking to seem a bore) Do we speak about purely about romantic type of fiction?
Elioclya
Lady of Ithilien
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 10:12
I think pv's just using these authors as examples (I could be wrong though!) I think the question is whether you prefer the kind of writing where the people's emotions are obvious to the reader, or the kind where you have to read between the lines to guess how the characters are feeling. If I'm right, then it applies to all kinds of fiction

Personally I like both kinds of writing... just depends on my mood!
olero
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 10:33
I think pv's just using these authors as examples (I could be wrong though!) I think the question is whether you prefer the kind of writing where the people's emotions are obvious to the reader, or the kind where you have to read between the lines to guess how the characters are feeling. If I'm right, then it applies to all kinds of fiction

Personally I like both kinds of writing... just depends on my mood!

Aha. As I thought... Thanks, I understood that. Me, too, I like both types of writing - tend to stick to Austen-like more, but, for some reason, when I write I mix these two types and sometimes finish in favour of a more emotional one.

I'm not nagging - just wanted to converse....

[Edited on 13/1/2006 by olero]
Elioclya
Lady of Ithilien
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 10:51
Lol... nobody thought you were nagging!

I think I'm the same in my writing, I try to be subtle but it ends up very obvious! :blush:
IloveFrodoBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 01:06
I've have not read those authors, yet!!:heart:
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 13, 2006 08:42
Elioclya said:I think pv's just using these authors as examples (I could be wrong though!) I think the question is whether you prefer the kind of writing where the people's emotions are obvious to the reader, or the kind where you have to read between the lines to guess how the characters are feeling. If I'm right, then it applies to all kinds of fiction

Yes, that's exactly what I meant! Thank you for explaining!
olero
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 03:48
Lol... nobody thought you were nagging!

I think I'm the same in my writing, I try to be subtle but it ends up very obvious! :blush:

At least we can boast to be many-sided writers, lol!
olero
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 14, 2006 03:51
pv: Anyway, let's say I gave my voice to Austen. Unfortunately, the writer whose style I love most is Russian and you probably don't know him.

As for more international writers...Ursula Le Guin?

[Edited on 14/1/2006 by olero]
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2006 10:21
Olero, I'm sure we'd all like to learn about authors we haven't heard of, so why don't you tell us about your favourite Russian author?
There are many Russian authors I admire, although I've read their work only in translation. Dr Zhivago is one of my favourite books (and it's quite an emotional book, too!), and right now, I'm reading Tolstoy's "Hadji Murad."
olero
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 12:13
Oh, my respect. Great books. One of my favourite Russian authors is Bulgakov. Michail Bulgakov. I'm sure you must know him. If you don't I strongly advise. "Master and Marguerita", "Dog's heart" - in the first line.
I also love Alxander Green. I love plenty of books, but Bulgakov comes to my mind first.
As for not completely romantic line, I'm a great admirer of science fiction - Stanislav Lem, Heinlein, Azimov. Like them?
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2006 02:28
Thank you, Olero! I'm an Asimov fan too! And I'll look out for translations of Bulgakov. What do you particularly admire about his style, Olero?

A question for all of you...We all have a lot of authors we enjoy reading - but who are the authors you consciously imitate when you write? Or is there no-one like that?
olero
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 19, 2006 02:20
PV: Will everything be counted as an answer? It's hard to say... Original plot-twists. Easy-flowing speech. Each word is in it's right place and you cannot imagine another one there. Variety of characters. Irony. The fact that his books are always multi-layered, and you each time you read them there's something new to find.

Btw, you can use "Olga" instead of "Olero". It's a bit shorter.

As for me, I don't think I ever imitated someone consciously. Unconsciously - I believe I did. But not intentionally. I once found out that my original story remind's Maugham's in style. But far less brilliant, of course....
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2006 07:18
Yes, Olga, "everything" can definitely be counted as an answer. I've been looking for translations of your favourite author, but haven't found any yet, unfortunately. I'll keep looking!

Tariel_Vanari
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 13, 2006 05:58
Personally I prefer the emotional stuff. A story is only as good as it's characters...and in my mind characters are nothing without their emotions. I'm not saying it should be cheesy or annoying or anything...but you can usually tell what my characters are feeling...and I like it that way
LadyBrooke
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 07:41
I like books with moments that are really emotional and aslo moments wher the emotions are low key like in real life.

I would recomend Mercedes Lackey's The Wizard of London. I know taht makes people think of spells and cauldrons but that's not what it's about. It is the fifth in a series of five(I think) the Elementials series. I have not read the first 4 books and I undesrstood the book. The basic idea is that there are ceratin people with certain powers who can contral a certain element or have mental powers. It really reminded me more of the elves and the three rings than it did Harry Potter or anything like that. I could believe it because the powers weren't the only focus of the book they were a plot tool to further the characters to find out who they were and how some of them were destroying there lives by locking away there feelings and concentrating on how high in society they were.
Here is a link to her oficial website http://www.mercedeslackey.com/
I would ignore everything on the first page and go straight to the red link in the top right corner that says enter the world of Mercedes Lackey which takes you to the page about her books.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email