Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Supraboy09
Council Member
Send Message
Post Gandalf's Robes
on: January 22, 2006 11:22
Does anybody know where I could find Gandalf's white robes? I want authentic robes, like the robes they used in the movie, not some kiddie halloween costume.

If anybody knows, please post here! Thanks!
Miranduviel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Gandalf's Robes
on: April 07, 2006 02:36
Have you tried Museum Replicas? I haven't checked their site in a while, but they're the only place that has halfway decent costumes, but compared to the film wardrobe, they're still kinda flimsy, and they're not cheep.

If you have lots of moola to shell out, you could get a MR costume, then find a local seamtress or costume-maker to make a more accurate version--preferably find someone who's into LOTR in the first place, someone who'd know what you wanted and why.

There are loads of amateur costuming groups (I'm on a group in Yahoo! which is well-known), but they tend to have a very d-i-y focus, because for us crazies, making it is half the fun! I'm a firm believer that if one learns how to sew (on a sewing machine), you'll never want for a Halloween costume again! but then again, I take Halloween very seriously.

If you watch the EE Appendices over and over, you'll see that Ian has about 4 parts to both his Grey and White costumes: boots, poofy wizard pants, under shirt or under-tunic, and the over-robe. In both cases, his wizard pants were held up by braces (Brit. Eng. for 'suspenders'); he had an ordinary t-shirt under the white brocade robe that is seen in TTT and ROTK (the scene in Meduseld after rescuing the Westfold kids on the big horse--Gandalf sitting on a stool next to Theoden's throne; and also the night before the battle in Minas Tirith with Pippin).

The 'over-robe' of White Gandalf is actually quilted brocade on top and two (or four) large pieces of leather tanned very light cream (almost white) on the bottom, seamed at the waist. All robes, grey and white, have fore 'n' aft slits to the groin for riding. Toy-Biz mistakenly thought that his grey robe was culotte'd like a jumpsuit for the toy (that or they didn't want to make an action figure with a 'dress' on it!) , which you can see in the Orthanc scenes in FOTR (in the wizard battle and on the top of the tower before he's rescued by the eagle).

If you want more info, the very best place is http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr ; they have detailed photos, sketches, and pattern outlines, so it's a helpful place.

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email