Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
orthanc5
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post Favorite type of poetry
on: February 24, 2006 12:37
Yay, first post in this subforum! That brings me way more joy than it should . So I was wondering what everyone's favorite types of poetry were to write and if the type you like to read is the same. I don't write very much poetry, but my favorite is narrative, such as the Lays of Beleriand and some of Tolkien's other poems.
pv
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Favorite type of poetry
on: March 10, 2006 09:09
Have you written any poetry lately, Orthanc? I'd love to read it!
I like reading lots of different kinds of poetry - the narrative, the sonnet, the haiku and even the limerick! But the only kind I've ever tried writing is the haiku.
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 18, 2006 11:02
I love poetry! I like any kind of genre (it really depends on what mood I'm in) and I write it too.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2006 01:58
I love poetry--good poetry, anyway. I like the long narratives , especially Beowulf, and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. However, imagism is okay, if done well. I must confess I haven't written much poetry lately, and when I do, it isn't very good. I'm more of a prose writer.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 04:31
Anything I can relate too.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2007 12:51
I have always loved poetry. Ever since I listened to songs as a child, or just marvelled at the rhyme scheme of a nursery rhyme I loved the way words could flow with rhythm, be brief and still have so MUCH to say.

I grew to be an avid reader of poetry, though amongst all those I read, there are a few whose poetry touches me deeply.

William Shakespeare, W. B. Yeats, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Christina Rossetti, W. H. Auden, A. E. Housman, E. B. Browning and Thomas Hardy.

These are just the top of the lot - there are lots more whom I admire. If you ask me which is the favourite verse form: it would have to be the Sonnet. It is brief, succinct and forcefully dynamic.
"Why? Because I'm afraid and he gives me courage."
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 27, 2007 08:45
my favorite type of poetry is definately the sonnet. I love writing and reading them!

I will say I'm not very good, but it's fun anyway.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Eruwaedhiel_Raina
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2009 03:13
I LOVE Poetry! mostly narratives and epics, then sonnets, but lately I've been translating a lot of Latin poetry, which is elegaic couplets or dactyllic hexameter.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email