Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post QOTW-Mar2/06; 3-I The Disaster of the Gladden Fields
on: March 02, 2006 12:07
With this section we move into may favorite part of the Unfinished Tales; the section that adds details to much of what is only mentioned in passing in The Lord of The Rings.
This first chapter, though short, is packed with information.

Isuldur's comment when he is asked if it would help if he put on the Ring and commanded the Orcs
'Alas it is not senya I cannot use it. I dread the pain of touching it. And I have not yet found the strength to bend it to my will. It neeeds one greater than I now know muself to be. It should go to the Keepers of the Three'

He still doesn't consider destroying the Ring, but Isuldur has gained some wisdon since he impetuously refused to destroy it
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: QOTW-Mar2/06; 3-I The Disaster of the Gladden Fields
on: March 08, 2006 11:47
Until I read this chapter, I never realized that Isuldur was cosidering giving up the Ring to the keepers of the Three. He had tried to wield the Ring and found that he lacked the strength to wield it.
He was also still under the misconception that Sauron had been destroyed when the Ring was cut from him. Perhaps he may have acted differently at the Crack of Doom had he realized that Sauron was still around.
I should also add that after reading LOTR, I always felt that Isuldur was a vain and arrogant man foolishly keeping possession of the Ring for all the wrong reasons. It was nice to learn that there was much more to the man.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: March 11, 2006 12:26
Isuldur did try to control the Ring and he was the only Ringbearer to do make the attempt. The other Ringbearers were only able to use it to become invisible; as though it had no other properties that they could utilize.
That brings up a question- why is it that Sauron stayed visible when he wore the Ring?

[Edited on 11/3/2006 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2006 05:25
Sauron stayed visible because he was the one who made it and had put some of his strength into the ring.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: March 22, 2006 01:21
That is indeed possible, although I can't think of anything that can confirm that reasoning.
Of course, Bombadil wasn't affected in the slightest by the Ring but that is another matter.

Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: March 22, 2006 06:56
Maybe it was because, both Sauron and Tom were already living in the wraith/spirit world as well as in the visible world. Sauron was a Maia, and Tom definitely was no ordinary mortal being either, but a spirit of Nature of some sort.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email