Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
Post Morgoth's Castle in Design Toscano
on: March 28, 2006 07:36
Now here's something that really piqued my interest... esign Toscano is a decor catalog I get at home and thru e-mail. In the latest E-newsletter I received, there was this:

http://www.designtoscano.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=7063&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=950&iSubCat=951&iProductID=7063

Now I even went so far as to call their support center and ask if this was a Tolkien-inspired piece, and they had no info for me. Wikipedia has Morgoth listed as a Tolkien-created character, that is, no other people have used the name.

So, what do you think? It's obviously pretty awesome-looking, I probably would buy it even if it weren't Tolkien-related. Has anyone ever seen it or anything like it? How about the sculptor, has anyone heard of him? (You can see a profile on the website, and his 'Dark Shadows Lamp' is obviously very Balrog-like.) Any thoughts?
Old_Tom_Bombadil
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Morgoth's Castle in Design Toscano
on: June 24, 2006 11:50
Gary Chang probably read The Silmarillion and was inspired by the story, and consciously or subconsciously borrowed the name "Morgoth".

Morgoth, of course, is the great evil of Tolkien's mythology. His original name is Melkor. He was given the name Morgoth, meaning "Dark Enemy", by Fëanor, the creator of the Silmarils.

Morgoth had many dragons in his service. It is probably no coincidence that dragons are heavily featured in this wall sculpture. However, Morgoth did not live in a castle per se. He lived in an underground fortress named "Angband", meaning "Iron Prison". This fortress lay beneath Thangoradrim, a volcanic mountain.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email