Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post QOTW Apr 4th /06. 3-II Cirion and Eorl and the friendship between Gondor and Rohan
on: April 04, 2006 09:55
Cirion speaking

'I will now declare what I have rsolved, with the authority of the Stewards of the Kings, to offer to Eorl son of Léod, Lord of the Eothéod in recognition of the valour of his people and the help beyond hope that he brought to Gondor in time of dire need. To Eorl I will give in free gift all the great land of Calenardhon from Anduin to Isen. There, if he will, he shall be king and his heirs after him, and his people shall dwell in freedom while the authority of the Stewards endures, until the Great King returns

Thus the friendship between Gondor and Rohan, and the emnity, towards both nations, of the Dunlendings who felt that the land was theirs, was sealed.

From the statement used by Cirion, would the Rohirrim still be independent once Aragorn took the throne of Gondor?
Nolimon
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: QOTW Apr 4th /06. 3-II Cirion and Eorl and the friendship between Gondor and Rohan
on: April 04, 2006 07:47
From the statement used by Cirion, would the Rohirrim still be independent once Aragorn took the throne of Gondor?

The Notes of the chapter hints that the phrase "until the Great King returns." is observed more for tradition than reality (by Cirion's stewardship at least), but even so it has legal ramifications in Gondor.

I seem to recall that in Appendix A of LOTR, it is told that Elessar renewed the gift of Cirion (and Eomer the Oath of Eorl). So after some 500 years, the Rohirrim having firmly settled on their land, the rightful King of Gondor still needs to ratify whatever acts the Stewards made in the name of the king. If Aragorn used exactly the same wording as Cirion did ("There, if he will, he shall be king and his heirs after him, and his people shall dwell in freedom") then Eomer would still be king, as is said in the same appendix.
In the lands of those realms of old he [Aragorn] was King, save in Rohan only.

To me, it seems implied that Aragorn has the right to deny (if he wills) independence to the Rohirrim while they abide in Rohan.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email