Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
Post Quotable Quotes
on: June 04, 2006 03:47
I have been given a new teaching post and one of the activities I plan on doing with my orklings next year is classroom openers with quotations. I'm planning on having them discuss what they mean and see where the winds take us. Anyway, do any of you have some quotes that have stuck in your mind? I would appreciate any and all--especially those that would appeal to kids in junior high school. One that I found by Tolkien that I found appropriate to my situation as of late...
It's wisdom to recognize necessity, when all other courses have been weighed, though as folly it may appear to those who cling to false hope.
arya_luver
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Quotable Quotes
on: June 06, 2006 12:08
Here's a cool quote. It's my fave prt in the book, Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith:

This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker forever.

The first dawn of light in your universe brings pain. The light burns you. It will always burn you. Part of you will always lie upon black-glass sand, beside a lake of fire, while flames chew upon your flesh. You can hear yourself breathing. It comes hard, and harsh, and it scrapes nerves already raw but you cannot stop it. You can never stop it. You cannot even slow it down. You don’t even have lungs anymore. Mechanisms hardwired into your chest breathe for you. They will pump oxygen into your blood forever.
Lord Vader. Lord Vader, can you hear me?
And you can’t. Not in the way you once did. Sensors in the shell that prisons you head trickle meaning directly into your brain. You open your scorched pale eyes. Optical sensors integrate light and shadow into a hideous simulacrum of the world around you. Or perhaps, the simulacrum is perfect, and it is the world that is hideous.
“Padmé! Are you here? Are you alright?” you try to say. But another voice speaks for you. Out from the vocabulator, that serves you for burned away lips and tongue and throat, “Padmé! Are you here? Are you alright?”
“I’m very sorry Lord Vader. I’m afraid, she died. It seems, in your anger, you killed her.”
This burns hotter than the lava had. “No! No! It is not possible!”
You loved her. You will always love her. You could never will her death. Never. But you remember. You remember all of it. You remember, the Dragon that you brought Vader forth from your heart to slay. You remember, the cold venom in Vader’s blood. You remember, the furnace of Vader’s fury, and the black hatred of seizing her throat, to silence her lying mouth!
And there is one blazing moment in which you finally understand, that there was no dragon! That there was no Vader. That there was only you. Only Anakin Skywalker. That was all, you. Is, you. Only, you. You did it! You, killed her. You killed her because finally, when you could have saved her, when you could have gone away with her, when you could have been thinking about her, you were thinking about yourself. It is in this blazing moment, that you finally understand the trap of the dark side. The final cruelty of the Sith. Because now yourself, is all you will ever have.
And you rage, and scream, and reach though the Force, to crush the Shadow who has destroyed you. But you are so far less now that what you were. You are more that half-machine! You are like, a painter, gone blind, a composer gone deaf. You can remember where the power was, but that power you can touch, is only a memory. And so with all your world-destroying fury, it is only droids around you that implode. And equipment. And the table on which you are strapped, shatters. And in the end, you cannot touch the shadow. In the end, you do not even want to. In the end, the shadow is all you have left. Because the shadow understands you. The shadow, forgives you. The shadow gathers you unto itself, and within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame.

This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker. Forever.
morwenna
News Admin and Taste Tester for LHH
Send Message
on: June 06, 2006 12:51
One quote that has stuck in my mind was given to me on the last day of school (when I was 11, so this was a while ago ). My primary school headteacher wrote the reference down to this quote from Hamlet

This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

arya_luver
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 06:06
"Even a fraction of the dark side is more powerthan your Jedi arrogance can concieve. Living in the light, you have nevery seen the depth of the darkness." - Emperor Palpatine, moments before blasting Yoda with Sith lightning.
Drauglin
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 06:30
Haha, I love quotes.

"It is easier to shout 'Stop!' then to do it" - Treebeard
"...but that is not for us to decide. All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf (in the movies at least)
"I've got way more friends now, then when I was an evil henchman" - Kronk (Kronk's New Groove)
"Grown-ups sure are strange" - The Little Prince
"It's better not to know. Try to imagine little houses and white picket fences, et cetera. It's easier that way." - The Bourne Ultimatum
and my favorite of these: (paraphrased)
"She is the weeping welkin, and I am the sea. And he that hath done this has hurt me more then if he killed me dead." -Shakespeare, from Titus Andronicus
Now I gotta watch that movie again.

[Edited on 7/6/2006 by Drauglin]
Anoria_Miriel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 07:03
I wish my teachers thought of such interesting things! The only one that comes to mind at the moment is this:
"People who count their chickens before they are hatched act very wisely, because chickens run about so absurdly that it is impossible to count them accurately." --Oscar Wilde
HeriTavaril
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 11:13
Hi Scots

I don't know if you would want to use this but it always makes me laugh

"Never enter an ass kicking contest with a hedgehog!"

Or you could substitute porcupine

and then there is always Bilbo's

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door"

another one I like

"Dogs have masters, cats have staff"

All the best

HT:heart:
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 07, 2006 11:42
These are great! Thanks so much.

I wish my teachers thought of such interesting things!

I hope my kids will think it's as interesting as I do and not think their new teacher is "strange". *fingers crossed*
Mandos
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2006 10:50
Wait heres some quotes from my collection

"Confidence is contagious; so is lack of confidence"
-Vince Lombardi

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather, try to become a man of value." -- Albert Einstein

"No one is a failure if they have friends" - the angel from It's a Wonderful Life"

also a good place for quotes is Thinkexist.com

Mandos
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2006 07:39
Well here are my three for the pot.

Without fuel, the fire dies...

Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence...

Never make a Dragon angry for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup...

Not sure who wrote any of them though the first one comes from the Romany.

[Edited on 1/8/2006 by vicarcat]
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 02:36
I like quotes

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months." ~ Oscar Wilde

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it." ~ No idea who said that

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." ~ Douglas Adams

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain

"There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with chocolate." ~ No idea who said that, but it's one of my favourite quotes
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 02:58

ROFL! I wonder if I'll need to replace "dragon" with 7th grade lanugage arts teacher???

These are awesome! Thanks a whole bunch! :hug:
Melianmaia
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2006 03:40
a few favourites:
1) No one can make you feel inferior without your consent--Eleanor Roosevelt
2) Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens--Jimi Hendrix
3) I find the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have--Thomas Jefferson
4) Say what you mean, and mean what you say -- My mum
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2006 09:16
Oh I remembered another one...

We have nothing to fear but fear itself...
Winston Churchill

The best way to defeat fear is not to give it any
attention, you just starve it to death...
[from my Dad]

Burzlondewen
Realm Head of Tulkas
Send Message
on: August 07, 2006 09:05
I found this famous quote by Charles Dickens interesting:
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way..."

I forget where this one is from, but it is very true:
"30 years from now, it wont matter what shoes you wore, how your hair looked, or the jeans you bought. What will matter is what you learned and how you used it."

[Edited on 7/8/2006 by Burzlondewen]
Gileth
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2006 09:30
I get most of my quotes from www.worldofquotes.com

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The greatest gift is the passion for reading. It is cheap, it consoles, it distracts, it excites, it gives you knowledge of the world and experience of a wide kind. It is a moral illumination.~ Elizabeth Hardwick

The greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within. ~Miguel De Cervantes

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born." ~Anais Nin

We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started... and know the place for the first time. ~T. S. Eliot

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answer. ~Denis Waitely

Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you go. ~E. L. Doctorow
asleepingvision
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 07, 2006 11:17
Animals have these advantages over man: they never hear the clock strike, they die without any idea of death, they have no theologians to instruct them, their last moments are not disturbed by unwelcome and unpleasant ceremonies, their funerals cost them nothing, and no one starts lawsuits over their wills.
-Voltaire

I am not young enough to know everything.
-Oscar Wilde

People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children.
-Bill Watterson

A person who trusts no one can't be trusted.
-Jerome Blattner

Never explain--your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.
-Elbert Hubbard.

All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Mirkgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 10, 2006 07:59
I could probably fill pages...

but the most 'to-the-bone' quote Ive ever heard is:

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Can't remember where it comes from but it's a pretty exact (and thus hurting) description of humanity
arya_luver
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2006 07:58
This is from The Da Vinci Code:

"
The Kent chief inspector felt only distaste for Leigh Teabing as the man hobbled around him in defiance. Men of privelage always felt like they were above the law.
They are not. The chief inspector turned and aimed at Teabing's back. "Stop! I will fire!"
"Go ahead," Teabing said without breaking stride or glancing back. "My lawers will fricassee your testicles for breakfast. And if you dare board my plane without warrant your spleen will follow."
orthanc5
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 13, 2006 08:09
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert A Heinlein, Lazarus Long

cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 09:08
Guns ain't lawful
Nooses give
Gas smells awful
You might as well live!

Dorothy Parker
Makil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 11:24
My old Gaffer, was born and raised in the late 1800s on the plains of north Texas. He admitted that he had been his own worst enemy for most of his life. He used to tell us young folks. " It's a long hard ol haul up Fool's Hill , But if you ever get over the top and start down the other side, it gets a little easier "
I don't know , I think you may have to be over fifty to understand this.
JaimeLouise
CoE Volunteer & Chocolate Thingywidget of Yavanna
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 12:31

I've seen a different version of this one:

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy, and good with Ketchup.

Also, here are some of my favorites:

Why take life seriously? You're never going to get out of it alive anyway.

"And anyone I catch talking about this young lady will be first beaten to death and then burned alive and after that be kept on bread and water for six weeks." ~"The Chronicles of Narnia: The Horse and His Boy"

"Whipped Cream is not truly whipped unless it's whipped with whips." ~Willy Wonka

"If we were meant to talk more than listen, we would have two mouths and one ear." ~Mark Twain

"You can never get a book long enough or a cup of tea big enough to suit me." ~C.S. Lewis

"When you look for the bad in man, expecting to find it, you surely will." ~Abraham Lincoln

"I shall never act unless something to your advantage will result from my action. I shall never mount the ladder without taking care that you have secured a safe footing upon the rung above me." ~Alexandre Dumas

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be." ~Douglas Adams

"It is yet better to perceive a hidden good than a hidden evil." ~George MacDonald

Obi-Wan: "Wait a minute! How did this happen? We're smarter than this!"
Anakin: "Aparently not."

Visit my website & Etsy shop! ~ Ephesians 4:29 ~
ArodieltheElfofRohan
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 01:40
A friend of mine told me these:

By the time you're eighty, you've learned everything. Too bad you can't remember it.
~George Burns

Save a little money each month, and by the end of the year, you'll be surprised at how little you have.
~Ernest Haskins

A modern sculpter is a man who can take a rough block of wood or stone, work on it for months and make it look like a rough block of wood or stone.
~Charles Kelly.

And I don't know who this one is by:

Some people are like Slinkies ...
Not really good for anything......
But they still bring a smile to your face
when you push them down a flight of stairs.
mintchip
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2007 11:39
Life is funny, life's a mess
Sometimes a curse, sometimes a blessing
Don't worry 'bout a thing, don't worry 'bout it
Life gets sticky, life can bruise
Sometimes you win sometimes your losing
No matter what it brings
Don't worry 'bout a thing

From the Song Dont worry 'bout a thing by SheDaisy
darkfey9
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2007 05:34
my favorite quote is in my sig (the davey havok one)

another quote (bizarre but hilarious) is

"I once fell in love with a cat, then I realized it wasn't a human being. It was not as sexy as we thought." - Pete Wetz

yeah weird i know... lol
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2007 05:24
"Only a small part is played in great deeds by any hero"

- Elrond, Fellowship of the Ring
gondolinian
Newbies Moderator
Heruvinlië - Lord of the New Folk

Send Message
on: July 31, 2007 11:23
Once I pull my head together I'd love to post quotes in here, I love them...

Two that pop up now, will never forget them:

"A cynic is someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"' - Oscar Wilde

"Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back" - Maximus Decimus Meridius, Gladiator
It's a dangerous business, going out your door...
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: August 01, 2007 03:02
Fear is the thief of dreams. I don't know who said it. What about Sam's speech from TT Just probably the last line.
Tholinnas3
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2007 11:16
"And so the sandwich maker sang as he worked"

Douglas Adams in one of the hitchhikers books. I think it was from Life the Universe and Everything.

I used to have it written on my board at work to remind to enjoy my job.

Tholinnas
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: August 03, 2007 12:02
It's from Mostly Harmless, Tholinnas I love that part, the Perfectly Normal Beast always make me laugh...

And while we're quoting Douglas Adams...

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools"
Shadowfax_Pip
Nessa Realm Leader
Send Message
on: August 13, 2007 08:27
When your heart's on fire smoke gets in your eyes!! Don't know who said it, but I like it

Hawkstra
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2007 05:46
These are fantastic! Can't think of any Douglas Adams quotes right now, so heres a Doctor Who one (my new obsession)
"Imagine how bad things could possibly get and then add another suitcase full of bad." -The Doctor. Sorry if I misquoted because I found it online and am not sure how reliable the site is.... Here's my next quote...
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together." -Unknown
"Nearly doesn't count except in horseshoes and hand grenades" -Unknown
"You're mother was a hampster and your father smelt of elderberrys!" -Monty Python and the Holy Grail
"Pull out thy holy pin and count to three. Not four. Not five. Not two except preceding three, THREE." -Monty Pyhon again

I have more but I'm hungry. So I close with my final quote,
"Let's blow this popsicle stand." -Unknown
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email