Post RE: Astronomy...
on: July 12, 2006 07:58
Sure! Why?
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 19, 2006 06:08
I sure am! :love: I study it as my major subject in university.
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2006 04:52
I love astronomy... It is not my major but i enjoy looking at the stars and planets with my telescope at night...
Lozadora
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 24, 2006 05:42
Wow! I've finally found some like minded people! Almost everyone I know thinks I deranged because I asked for a telescope for my birthday I do tend to have problems identifying what I'm actually looking at through it though.. :blush:
phantom_raven05
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2006 07:43
I am! That's what I'm most likely going to major in when I get to college
Eowyn_the_White_Lily
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 28, 2006 10:43
I love the stars! It's kind of funny to look up into the night sky and point out constellations that most people haven't heard of!
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 29, 2006 01:03
Yeah, I've got an interesting in it. Took a class a while back, but nothing recent. And I dont have a telescope.

I mostly like reading about it now.

[Edited on 7/29/2006 by MeliaStormcrow]
"The King beneath the mountains, The King of carven stone, The lord of silver fountains Shall come into his own! His crown shall be upholden, His harp shall be restrung, His halls shall echo golden To songs of yore re-sung. The woods shall wave on mountains And grass beneath the sun; His wealth shall flow in fountains And the rivers golden run. The streams shall run in gladness, The lakes shall shine and burn, All sorrow fail and sadness At the Mountain-king's return!"
Heri_Almare
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2006 10:29
Is anyone else planning on seeing the lunar eclipse on September 7th?
Melianmaia
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2006 03:31
Which hemisphere?
Heri_Almare
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 17, 2006 03:04
Here's a map of where it can be seen: http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/OH/image1/LE2006Sep07-Fig4.GIF

Basically, anyone who doesn't live in America can see it.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: August 18, 2006 11:33
I might watch it, if the moon is properly visible. For me, eclipses that happen around moonset are better though, I can see them from my kitchen window.
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 28, 2006 01:13
I may watch it IF I remember...

I don't have a telescope either... many think I must have if I study it, but you know studying astronomy is a bit different from merely observing stars and other objects. And I'm more interested in dynamics so it's lots of mathematics and theoretical things to me. But I will buy a small practical telescope when I'll get a job and so on. It's always fun to get lost in the views of the sky...

I think this might interest you, it's news from IAU's (International Astronomical Union) website. So, only eight planets now!

The IAU members gathered at the 2006 General Assembly agreed that a "planet" is defined as a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and (c) has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.

This means that the Solar System consists of eight "planets" Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. A new distinct class of objects called "dwarf planets" was also decided. It was agreed that "planets" and "dwarf planets" are two distinct classes of objects. The first members of the "dwarf planet" category are Ceres, Pluto and 2003 UB313 (temporary name). More "dwarf planets" are expected to be announced by the IAU in the coming months and years. Currently a dozen candidate "dwarf planets" are listed on IAU's "dwarf planet" watchlist, which keeps changing as new objects are found and the physics of the existing candidates becomes better known.

The "dwarf planet" Pluto is recognised as an important proto-type of a new class of trans-Neptunian objects. The IAU will set up a process to name these objects.

[Edited on 28/8/2006 by fogriipus]
Heri_Almare
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 03, 2006 11:55
Meep. I'm gonna miss that little guy....
bow_and_arrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2006 06:01
My grandad's an astronomer, so he got me interested in it. He lives really near me (five minute walk) so I go and use his telescope!
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 09:59
The IAU members gathered at the 2006 General Assembly agreed that a "planet" is defined as a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and (c) has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.
but ... but ... but ... the thing that is so fascinating about Pluto is the eliptical orbit ... on a plane tilted many degrees away from the other planets.

So ... if you don't conform, you don't get to be a planet. Gotta fit in the tray like supermarket apples! Hey ho!
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 22, 2007 03:27
I don't think the researchers think quite like that. It's more like, if you don't do all this, you get to be a dwarf-planet! How cool is that?! You can't really call, for example, a hobbit an elf and vice versa, no matter how much you wanted to.
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2008 05:41
I'm going to london this summer and I was wondering if london the best place to see more stars with a telescope?
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: January 22, 2008 03:46
Probably not, mainly due to light pollution. You need a rural area to really get a good view of stars. Unless your trip allows for going outside of the city, you most likely won't see much in the way of stars. Also, tends to be a lot of fog, rain, and mist, which obscures the skies. Still, I would love to visit London. Good luck!
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2008 11:30
Probably not, mainly due to light pollution. You need a rural area to really get a good view of stars. Unless your trip allows for going outside of the city, you most likely won't see much in the way of stars. Also, tends to be a lot of fog, rain, and mist, which obscures the skies. Still, I would love to visit London. Good luck!

Thanks for the info Belle. I'm still gonna have fun regardless, so I can't wait!
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 29, 2008 11:00
Ohh, you're lucky to get to visit London! *jealous*

Belle's right, big cities in general aren't good places for watching stars because of the light pollution. The best place would be where there is dark, so away from any big light sources. And with a clear sky of course. But I bet they have a great planetarium somewhere there!
Celedë_Anthaas
Stargazer of Ithilien
Send Message
on: January 29, 2008 11:31
I quite like astronomy (guess why I'm in Varda). Just gazing at the stars is wonderful:love: We've just started astrophysics at school, and I must say it's fascinating
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 30, 2008 12:05
Ohh, you're lucky to get to visit London! *jealous*

Belle's right, big cities in general aren't good places for watching stars because of the light pollution. The best place would be where there is dark, so away from any big light sources. And with a clear sky of course. But I bet they have a great planetarium somewhere there!

If it does have planetarium then I've just died and gone to heaven
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2008 02:33
If anyone likes to get up early or stay up really late, in the pre-dawn sky in the east, the two brightest planets seen from Earth,
Venus & Jupiter will be 'in the same sky' being about one 'moon-width' apart on Feb 1st. You will be able to see them both along with Jupiter's four biggest moons in basic binoculors. The waning moon crescent will join them in the same sky in a few days time.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2008 02:41
I guess nobody is really interested in astronomy....

It was cloudy and raining here in the early morning, but I went up to the Mt Gravatt overlook anyway just in case. No good. I do hope somebody got to see this Monday morning.

On Monday, Feb. 4, the show will reach its peak when, about 45 minutes before sunrise, Venus, Jupiter and the moon — the three brightest objects of the night sky — will form a striking isosceles triangle, with the two planets 3 degrees apart and the moon marking the vertex of the triangle just over 5 degrees below the "dynamic duo."

Imagine the astrological significance that the ancients might have ascribed to a celestial summit meeting such as this!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email