Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Burzlondewen
Realm Head of Tulkas
Send Message
Post Ren Faires
on: August 14, 2006 06:18
Ok, anyone out there go to Ren Faires? :love: I absolutley love them, i dress up as Eowyn. Lots of interesting people, and good music. One of the most memorable things is that to signal the opening and closing of the Faire everyday, they light off cannons and they literally shake the ground. Funny to watch people caught off guard and/or unaware that it was going to happen. The jousting is always very entertaining as well.

[Edited on 15/8/2006 by Burzlondewen]
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Ren Faires
on: August 14, 2006 07:53
I love to go to Renn Faires... I've been to busy the past 5 years
but before then I worked both northern and southern faires in California.

I hope to make shrewsbury Faire this year...

Melianmaia
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2006 03:18
What's a Ren Faerie? Is that like a medieval fayre? We have a nice big one each year then there are the ones at the Norman castles.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: August 15, 2006 03:42
Yep! They call them Ren Faires for Renaissance. Usually it's Elizabeth I as the reigning monarch, but occasionally you'll see Henry VIII. I like to go to them as well. I have a dress (like a rich merchant's wife) and plan on sewing another someday. Ren Faires are sooo much fun. :love:
VanaEryn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2006 05:21
I love Ren fairs! There's one not far from my home that we took the kids to this year. of course when I tell my mother she claims i always hated them and was shocked to here how much i loved going. Sigh, sometimes I think shes on too many medications
punk_angel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2006 07:42
I joined a Faire group this year. Were a bunch of privateers (pirates with permission from the Queen), so I can't wear ME clothes, but pirates are the next best thing. My first time with them, we got into a premier of PotC up near Chicago, and we got in for free because we were dressed up! It was so much fun! Two days after, I went to my first actual Faire, and it was enchanting. I can't wait till next season!
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2006 07:09
The faire closest to me started a couple weekends ago. Hopefully I can go this year. Those are always lots of fun. The jousting always fun to watch. And theres lots of cool shops to visit.
"The King beneath the mountains, The King of carven stone, The lord of silver fountains Shall come into his own! His crown shall be upholden, His harp shall be restrung, His halls shall echo golden To songs of yore re-sung. The woods shall wave on mountains And grass beneath the sun; His wealth shall flow in fountains And the rivers golden run. The streams shall run in gladness, The lakes shall shine and burn, All sorrow fail and sadness At the Mountain-king's return!"
Lozadora
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 23, 2006 10:43
I'm always intrigued by the concept of Ren Faires, I would love to go to one, it sounds like just my sort of thing, getting to dress up in a pretty costume and all. But I've never heard of one happening in England, at least not where near I live You are all so lucky!
vicarcat
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2006 11:28
Lozadora I found info on faires near you.
there seem to be quite a few in England.

# Dunstable Tudor Festival - Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England
# Michelham Priory Medieval Fair, Market and Early Music Exhib
Hailsham, East Sussex, England
# Herstmonceux Castle Medieval Festival -m Herstmonceux, East Sussex, England
# Hedingham Castle - Castle Hedingham, Essex, England
# Joust - Berkeley, Gloucestershire, England
# Tewkesbury Medieval Festival - Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, England
# Dover Pageant - Dover, Kent, England
# Merrie England Weekend - Edenbridge, Kent, England
# Jousting Tournaments - Edenbridge, Kent, England
# Alnwick Fair - Alnwick, Northumberland, England
# Robin Hood Pageant - Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England
# Medieval Fair - Jarrow, Tyne and Wear, England
# National Living History Fayre - Spring - Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, England
# National Living History Fayre - Autumn - Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, England
# Jorvik Viking Festival - York, Yorkshire, England

Oh and here is the live link to the listing for the faires...

http://www.faires.com/location.php

I wonder if any of them are near you?

Lozadora
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 24, 2006 01:16
Wow! Thankyou vicarcat! :love: None of them are particularly close to where I live now, but I'm hoping to go to university in either Warwick or York so i'll be ok then! Yay! :rolling:
Melianmaia
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2006 02:45
Luthien and I go to the Hedingham castle one. It is one of the earliest Norman castles keeps still standing. The midieval siege society hold a fayre there every year with jousting on bank holiday weekends. There is a national trust shop in the keep which had lots of cool things.
jessamyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 04:11
I love going to Ren Fayres when I'm visiting family in Wales and I have three different costumes. I'm living in Canada on Lake Superior and would absolutely love to see one start up in my part of the world. Thats if there would be any interest up here. We are about an 8 hr. drive from one that happens in the U.S. but that is the closest. Any advice from anyone on how to start one up would be really appreciated. :feedback:
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 30, 2006 09:16
I ADORE ren faires and make the circuit of the ones that are nearby. Men in medieval wear, leather and chain mail..WOW!!! Jousting is my favorite and I am lucky enough to watch full-contact (not correographed) jousting twice a year. Actually saw one rider get knocked off his horse, also knocking the heel off of his shoe!! Huzzah!!!
Here are some pics of some of the sights:www.img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/melianndoriath/Medieval%20faire/Garenfest001.jpg

MT
hobbitnamedeliza
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2006 06:09
Love Rennaisance and Medieval faires. Lots of fun and great food usually.

My daughter just found out today that she's actually been cast for our community's medieval faire! We're all so excited!
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2006 07:06
Hopefully I will actually get to visit mine next weekend. Since I missed it this and last weekend.

[Edited on 10/8/2006 by MeliaStormcrow]
"The King beneath the mountains, The King of carven stone, The lord of silver fountains Shall come into his own! His crown shall be upholden, His harp shall be restrung, His halls shall echo golden To songs of yore re-sung. The woods shall wave on mountains And grass beneath the sun; His wealth shall flow in fountains And the rivers golden run. The streams shall run in gladness, The lakes shall shine and burn, All sorrow fail and sadness At the Mountain-king's return!"
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2007 01:51
I've always enjoyed going to the Washington Renaissance Fantasy Faire and having an ale with the troll under the bridge. Sadly, the troll passed away shortly after the 2006 faire.

Visiting Camlann Village is always an interesting adventure. The last time I was there, it was the hottest day of summer and the 'apprentice blacksmith' was sweating away over a forge making chain mail while the blacksmith sat in the shade sipping a flagon!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
MinasTirithMS
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2007 05:23
I am definately a ren faire "addict". It's my dream to work on staff at the Louisiana Renaissance Festival next season. Must go through training this summer. Hopefully I can find a way to spend 6 weekends in a living space that I dont' own yet that is 3 hours away from my house.
Speaking of jousting, it's my absolute favorite thing to watch. But I've been spoiled by watching full-contact jousting. No co-oregraphy here. Check out this site :www.knightsofvalour.ca
Woodlandelfgirl87
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2007 09:43
I have never been to one, but I want to go so badly! There is one only a few hours away from where I live, and I need to go... especially since my cousin is an actress there!
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2007 04:32
I highly recommend it Woodlandelfgirl!
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email