Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Halbarad_Dunedain
Council Member
Send Message
Post Questions that really make you think??
on: December 04, 2006 06:22
I thought it would be cool to talk about questions you have heard or have thought about yourself that really made you think. And we can discuss what you think they mean and how they could be interpreted. Sometimes you just start thinking about random things that really blows your mind. If you have any please share them.

So I will start off with one that brings up a lot of questions about existence...

If God created the universe then what created God? If so how could the universe create God? How can there be anything in existence? How can there be nothing? Is it possible for there to be nothing? If there is nothing, then is that something? (Not being sacreligious, just writing what has raced through my mind. I very much believe in God)
KingxElessar
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Questions that really make you think??
on: December 04, 2006 06:44
I thought it would be cool to talk about questions you have heard or have thought about yourself that really made you think. And we can discuss what you think they mean and how they could be interpreted. Sometimes you just start thinking about random things that really blows your mind. If you have any please share them.

So I will start off with one that brings up a lot of questions about existence...

If God created the universe then what created God? If so how could the universe create God? How can there be anything in existence? How can there be nothing? Is it possible for there to be nothing? If there is nothing, then is that something? (Not being sacreligious, just writing what has raced through my mind. I very much believe in God)

I believe there is something, but I don't believe in religion. I don't think any denomination has got it right. there is too much hubris in religion. But to answer your question, I think God is a thing, not a person. nature. everything around us. god is the culmination of every galaxy, every piece of matter, as far as the eye can see and beyond.
Mullog
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 03:37

Take a look here http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v12/i1/universe.asp
It gives a good answer to the question in mind...
Shiggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 03:58
This question highlights the fact that many typical ideals about god are internal projections. It seems that all human beings have a common instinct within them to look for a "higher power", and is a branch of the human search for knowledge. It's all a bit more phsycological than miraculous in my opinion
Mullog
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 04:20
I don't see how it could highlight anything about internal projections. Can you please explain a bit more?
Shiggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 05:44
I mean that it is a natural human drive to search for higher power, not exactly an outside omnipotent force, but a phsycological tool that is used exclusively by sapient beings. We, the thinking man, are capable to harbour abstract thinking and pre-cognition, allowing us to also nurture the ideas of science and religion. The question is a paradox that emphasises the human element in religious ideals.
Mullog
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 06:12
I think I understand what you mean.

The question you called a paradox, was it the question in the original post? If so, it isn't a paradox; read the link in my first message.
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 10:25

Nobody created God, he is, "Alpha and Omega, Beginning and the End'. And for the rest of the questions, I think our human brains can't understand them *sigh* :rolleyes:

[Edited on 5/12/2006 by newsgirl]
Mullog
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 11:32
If people don't read my link I might as well cite the main points here:

1. Everything which has a beginning has a cause.
2. The universe has a beginning.
3. Therefore the universe has a cause.

Since God, by definition, doesn't have a beginning He doesn't need a cause.

There can't have been nothing, because now there is something, and that means that this something needs a cause.
Shiggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 12:28
But nothingness indeed exists and god exists within every existance since he is the creator, which means he/she is also apart of nothingness. Nothingness exists becuase without nothingness there is not existance. Nothingness came before existance, and God came before existance, so Nothingness and God created Existance....*pant, pant*
I'm making this up as I go

pwned xD just kidding, lol.

[Edited on 5/12/2006 by Shiggy]
Mullog
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 12:48
I must make myself a little more clear. I didn't mean that there wasn't nothing before God created the world, he created out of nothing. My point was that God must have been there before the beginning or else there would have been no beginning... So in my last post it should have said "can't have been pure nothingness(meaning: no God either)".

This is starting to get complicated...
Shiggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 02:40
This means that nothingness is the material used to create existance, which means nothingness and existance are the same....I think i just killed HAL....
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 02:42
Yup, God made something out of nothing.

Shiggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 02:44
My mind is going Dave, I can feel it...

We killed HAL guys...xD
newsgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 02:56
HAL, shiggy? I'm confuzzled... :dizzy:
Shiggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 03:02
2001 a space oddysey newsy xDD
Halbarad_Dunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2006 04:13
Sry been gone for a day or two, and you pretty much just broke my brain lol. Some good points you guys have. Ok lets move on before I get an aneurism. Haha. If anyone wants to talk about something please do.
KingxElessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 06:56
What's in the briefcase in the movie Pulp Fiction?
Halbarad_Dunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 11:31
Seven pounds of bacon.
KingxElessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 07, 2006 08:51
Seven pounds of bacon.

tomatoes and sausages too?
Shiggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2006 07:00
xD
Taters mayhaps? for boiling, mashing, and sticking in a stew?
Halbarad_Dunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2006 06:02
No

Give it to us...raw and wriggling! You keep nasty chips!

Man, this thread sure went off topic lol. But why did it go off topic? (Such are the questions that plague us daily)
KingxElessar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2006 07:26
Okay...a question for the deep thinkers.

Why do we drive on a parkway, and park on a driveway?

Sorry. Okay, a real question. Do you think there are parts of our mind that are impossible to tap into? Like, how some people have ESP and are able to see things no one else can. Have these people been able to acheive what most others haven't and enter a deeper realm of the human mind?
Halbarad_Dunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2006 10:24
Whoa! LOL I think you are on to something here! Someone sure messed that up!

If the number 2 pencil is the most popular, why is it still number 2?
Why is abbreviated such a long word?
If Jimmy cracks corn, and no one cares, why is there a song about it?
Why is an alarm clock going "off" when it actually turns on?
If a schizophrenic threatens suicide, is it declared a hostage situation?
Shiggy
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2006 11:54
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to but all her friends?
lol....
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email