Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
Post Looking for Writers
on: February 17, 2007 10:26

I have not RPed in ages, and although it's sad to see that the boards have slowed down so much, I think the possibility for a great, long-lasting RP is still here.

I'm looking for some good writers to play some good, *original* characters in a Totally Tolkien RP.

By original, I am begging you to stay away from fiery all-powerful elf maidens who call themselves the best warrior in ME. Seriously, not this time around. I'd even like to get a dwarf and/or a halfling in here somewhere if there's anyone out there who plays those kind of characters. A couple of humans and elves are fine as long as they're realistic and have their flaws and strengths. Also, I'd like to see as few girls as possible, unless you've got a *really* unique one. One or two; three at the most.

I'd also like to find something of a storyline through discussion... I don't mean to start a scripted RP, but threads do tend to stall when a bunch of characters are thrown into an inn together and told to sort out their differences. Perhaps a quest or something of that sort could bring them together; you tell me.

Is anyone interested?

ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Looking for Writers
on: February 18, 2007 06:57
This sounds like fun.
I haven't been in the Totally Tolkien thread for a while.
I actually just created a Dwarf character named Koilin, you can go see him in the database. (his full name is actually Koilin the Deathless.)
As for ideas, I had one but first which age are we planning to set this or does it matter?
I think a quest would be good, I think Koilin could head otu from Erebor, thats where he lives, and maybe find where ever your character is, I don't know. I'll come back and post more ideas in here when they come to me
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: February 18, 2007 10:15
~Teveldin~

Just be sure to read the 'One Rule to Rule them All' at the top of the page and clear this with the mods before you actually begin a thread in TT.

If it's begun in TT without clearing it with the mods, it will be automatically moved to TR.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2007 11:18

Alright then, I guess we'll start it in TR and treat it like TT, just so we have a little bit more room for maneuverability. I wasn't aware of how much the rules had changed since I last RPed here.

Your dwarf sounds great, ElfmaidenofLorien! Just the kind of character I was hoping for. Also, my character is an elf (Teveldin) and if the story works out, some elf/dwarf rivalry could add some interest to the thread. =)

I liked your idea too; it would add some depth to the characters if we knew a bit about their homes or backgrounds before they show up. Do you have any ideas about what they should be questing for, precisely? My first thoughts ran along the lines of a missing person of consequence, or perhaps a stolen item of great importance or danger. Of course, that would all be based on finding a way to keep it from getting cliche...

ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2007 03:29
thats true, we don't want this to be like every other rp.
Maybe it could be that there has been a great theft all over ME, you know someone has been taking important things from all different places. For instance, a great Dwarven jewel was stolen and also a great Elven treasure, so they both would be out to find out who had taken their treasure and thats what brings them together on the quest.

That might be a little much to have a lot of things stolen but it was just an idea, I guess we need to start somewhere
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2007 09:43
Well, this sounds very interesting. I remember reading some of your old RPs, ~Teveldin~, and I would be interested in writing with you two. I'll see what I can dig up by way of a character. If you guys are going with the great theft over Middle Earth, then I could play a hobbit or a human.
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2007 08:27

Hi, Salkiethia! Great to have you to join. I'm glad to have someone here who RPed on the site way-back-when, as well; I was shocked to see how much the boards and slowed down. They're all but nonexistent now, it seems. Feel free to bring in either or both of your characters, I am sure they're both great. I'm not as picky as I sounded in my first post, seriously. It simply seems that I am destined to be haunted by dozens of elf-maidens with fiery tempers and big swords. (But I won't start ranting about that. =))

An excellent suggestion, ElfofLorien, I like it. A single thief or a theives guild with enough power and experience to find and steal what is most precious to each race or realm would make an excellent starting point for the story. It would certainly bring the different races together well, if reluctantly.

Also, I have updated Teveldin's profile. (Forgive the slight cliché-ness, he's an old but beloved character.) It would be a good idea to get to know each other's characters before we post about them so that we don't accidentally move a character in an out-of-character way. Feel free to move Tev around during your posts if you have to; I'm not touchy on that at all.

Any more ideas/interested writers before we get cracking?
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2007 05:32
thats great Teveldin, I'm not touchy with my character either, all I would have to say is don't make him bigger than he is, he hasn't even been to war yet, so he doesn't really know much.

Other than that, I can't wait to get started!
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2007 05:45
I forgot to put this in my last post, what is the name of the RP going to be? Or are you looking for suggestions?
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2007 09:06
No name yet; any ideas? If not, I'll make something up and try posting the thread tonight or tomorrow.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2007 09:19
I don't have any ideas yet either. I'll be sure to look for it!
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2007 10:34
Okay, threads up. Second age, pre-LotR.

here

Let me know what you guys think; if anything should be changed or added, or if you have any further ideas. Look forward to writing with you!

-Tev

[Edited on 25/03/1990 by ~Teveldin~]

[Edited on 24/3/2007 by BerethEdhellen]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2007 03:45
looks great. I'll be bringing Koilin in now, he'll be heading towards Rivendell to tell Elrond that they are also missing a priceless jewel.
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 07:44
Hey Teveldin, long time no see! Would be great to RP with you again! If I may, I'd love to join with my character Halhigil; he's in the Db here. He, too, is an old favourite.

[Edited on 23/2/2007 by nelenata]
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 11:19
Hey nelenata! Wow, talk about nostalgia! I haven't been on the boreds in ages; its good to see someone I remember!

Feel free to jump right in, your character sounds great. I look forward to RPing with you again! =)

-Tev

nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 11:29
Woot! Though I didn't think the 'shadow fell on the Greenwood' until TA 1100?

I'm thinking that Halhigil could be there following up a lead on the disappearence from Mirkwood for the intelligence networks? Though he'd likely have to claim to be there for other reasons... probably on the pretext of convalescent leave or something. (See his bio history if that makes no sense - I apologise for the length. My bios tend to get a little involved. :S)

Mind you, the above is unlikely to make him happy. Playing envoy and meeting a load of strangers is probably the last thing he'd like to do. [/sadism]
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 12:54
Hey, you don't mind if I join with my elf character: Raven, do you? He's a really young elf, very enthusiastic about everything. Lives for the most part in Rivendell. He is in the member's database.
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2007 05:07

LOL That's be perfect, nelenata! (Now who is Halhigil starting to remind me of...?) =)

Join right in, minstral_of_the_dawn! Your characters fine.

I was going to post more tonight, but now that we have a few more writers, I think I'll wait until one of you post.

Salkiethia
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2007 08:09
Ack! I get cut off from internet access for a week or three and then you've gotten the thread started and off to a brilliant beginning.

Eh...got to go catch up now.

I think I'll be using Denthor as a human (or possibly Stef, but he's a little over flamboyant) and I'll whip up some type of Fillet de Halfling - erm, Hobbit. ><
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2007 11:19

Hey there Salkeitha, I was wondering if you were still around. I'm glad you're bringing in a human; we have three elves and a dwarf right now, and a human should balance things out quite nicely. And a hobbit? Now this is going to be one fun thread... =)

Also, anyone may feel free to bring in more than one character.

On to the RP!

nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 25, 2007 12:52
Hey Tev, judging from your description, I'd guess that our characters' routes are likely to intersect... Me? Hinting? And I have to say, that was a fab first post - it's great to RP with you once more.
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2007 08:48
Right back at ya, nelenata. Once an RP addict, alwasy an RP addict, eh? I swear I went through withdrawels when I 'quit' RPing a while back. Great to be back!

And of course our characters' routes will intersect--don't they always?

nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2007 10:53
Muaha.

Tev, d'you reckon we'd be best arriving in the morning, or now? The situation in Imladris is your province.
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 27, 2007 12:11

Arrive whenever you feel like it, Lol. I'm not a control freak, I swear. And now that the RPs been jumpstarted, its open season. In my last post I already jumped ahead to morning, so you can insert your characters inbetween or arrive now.

There's no telling what's going to happen. That's the beauty of the thing, no?
IlonaArdelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2007 05:29
Hi everyone! *waves and hands out internet muffins fresh off the page*

I would like to join as a pair of brothers, both human, from Gondor. I'm wondering whether the older brother can be one of the thieves that stole Vilya from Imladris. The thieves can be kind of a selective clan that does work for clients, and I'm thinking that they are being manipulated by someone to steal for her or him. Tell me what you guys think before I go ahead and make chars! Thanks! =)
nelenata
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2007 04:22
I've been having a think about this, and I suspect that realistically, the only thing that could sneak up on an elf, in an Elven haven, is another elf. (Or a Maia.) So perhaps we've got some insider(s) being unwillingly (or unwittingly) co-opted into this grand theft by someone either more powerful than them who can control them, or who has some sort of leverage e.g. has a relative captive, knows some secret of theirs etc. From there you've got potential for lots of levels of involvement, from the one who's made to actually do the deed, to accomplices, to coordinators, to the mastermind... I mean, this is a large-scale operation.

Er, yeah. Carried away, sorry. Your call, Tev.
IlonaArdelle
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2007 06:38
You're probably right, nelenata. I just picked humans since there is a lack thereof, and I kind of liked the idea that the younger brother would be involved with going after the thieves, not knowing that his older brother (who was exiled/estranged from the family when they were young and forced to roam), who he has always looked up to, is stealing these precious artifacts.

I also thought that we can somehow involve Sauron into this, kind of a haphazard attempt to weaken his enemies/show them that they are still vulnerable before the War of the Ring in the Third Age.

I can always just join as a human character from Gondor and leave the antagonists for someone else to play. Just thought that since no one is playing from the perspective of the "baddies", I might volunteer to. It's up to you, Teveldin.
Sillende
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 29, 2007 05:49
I was wondering if I may join, if it's not too late already?
There seems to be a good collection of writers here and I haven't rped here for a while.
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2007 08:52

Sorry guys! I swear I didn't forget about this RP, but I haven't had computer access in a while and I've been too busy with real life to breathe! Let's get this thing going again, shall we?

Welcome to the RP, IlonaArdelle! I think it would be great to have someone playing the antagonist(s). Feel free to go ahead with that. If you still wanted them to be humans, there's always the chance that through their connections to Sauron they were granted some kind of dark magic/power that would allow them to sneak into an elven realm undetected. Or, as nelenata suggested, they could be whole or part elven or even Maia. I'm good with almost anything. =)

Welcome to you too, Sillende. Feel free to jump in! We could always use some more good writers.

Okay guys, thanks for your patience. I will try to post ASAP, maybe even tonight.
Radagast_of_Mirkwood
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2007 11:17

Sorry guys! I swear I didn't forget about this RP, but I haven't had computer access in a while and I've been too busy with real life to breathe! Let's get this thing going again, shall we?

Welcome to the RP, IlonaArdelle! I think it would be great to have someone playing the antagonist(s). Feel free to go ahead with that. If you still wanted them to be humans, there's always the chance that through their connections to Sauron they were granted some kind of dark magic/power that would allow them to sneak into an elven realm undetected. Or, as nelenata suggested, they could be whole or part elven or even Maia. I'm good with almost anything. =)

Welcome to you too, Sillende. Feel free to jump in! We could always use some more good writers.

Okay guys, thanks for your patience. I will try to post ASAP, maybe even tonight.

Could I join with my character Travedor. Was originally an elf of Doriath but after the destruction of Beleriand wandered all overMiddle Earth
~Teveldin~
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2007 06:42

LOL Sorry! I haven't checked this OOC in forever! Sure you can join, Radagast_of_Mirkwood. Would you like Travedor to be representing a realm or something like that?

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email