Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Master's Will (bad guys)
on: June 19, 2007 07:26
There seem to be a lot of good characters wandering around, so I was wondering if perhaps there were any not-so-good characters out there willing to start up a thread? I would put in Daenion and Koto (both elves, though dark), which aren't in the database as of yet, working on that bit. Koto would probably be the leader in whatever operation we end up taking on, simply because of his age and personality. If someone else has a similar character, it may be interesting to have a sort of leadership-struggle going on as a side plot...

The general idea for the thread I have is sometime in the Third Age after Sauron has returned to Mordor but before a full out War of the Ring (if the thread progresses into the War, it could be interesting, but I don't think we should start there just to play safe). Maybe Sauron forms a tag team to go find the Ring when his Nazgul fail, or before his Nazgul fail. Maybe we're just a few of his information-getters. Maybe it's something else entirely; throw out ideas.

So, what say you? All orcs, men, elves, dwarves, and hobbits welcome. If someone wants to throw in a good character or two that could be a twist.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Master's Will (bad guys)
on: June 20, 2007 04:27
oh! this sounds like lots of fun! i have a male elf also, he's pretty old, maybe your character and my character, could have a bit of struggle with the leadership thing like you mentioned before.

okay, I just got him in the db. His name is Iarnen.

[Edited on 20/6/2007 by ElfmaidenofLorien]
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: June 20, 2007 08:21
Sounds interesting...if I could get more info from you, pitya, I think this could be something I would like to do (meaning that I would have to make up a new character unless there was one of my 'good' ones that you liked).
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 20, 2007 09:46
Moderator's comment;
I just want you to be aware that in all the wars against Melkor and Sauron, the only race that didn't have members fighting on both sides in the conflicts was the Elves. The Elves ALWAYS fought against the forces of Melkor and his lieutenants. There were occasional evil seeming Elves (like Eol) but they just didn't join forces with the Enemy of their race
If you read about the Battle of the Last Alliance of Elves and Men, this point is specifically mentioned (Silmarillion pg 352).
It would be far more realistic and acceptable, in this RP, to have Men as your evil characters.

[Edited on 20/6/2007 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: June 20, 2007 05:45
In reading the 'premise' for this rpg, I have a question on the following:
I would put in Daenion and Koto (both elves, though dark)

I looked up the definition of 'dark elves' in the Encyclopedia of Arda and found this:
The Moriquendi, those Elves who refused the summons of the Valar to Valinor, or fell away on the Great Journey, and never saw the light of the Two Trees.

And this note:
The Dark Elves are often equated with the Avari, who refused the summons of the Valar and remained in the darkness of Middle-earth. This is not strictly correct; 'Dark Elves' also include those such as the Nandor and Sindar who started the Great Journey to Valinor, but never came there.

What I'm not catching, I guess, is that nowhere did Tolkien equate his 'dark elves' as being 'evil', and I'm not seeing how or why anyone would think they were. They just never saw the Two Trees in Valinor.

*is just confused*
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2007 06:42
my apologies, gwendeth, i did not mean to confuse you. in my hurry, i used 'dark' both as an adjective for their origin and their allegiences. they both did not go to Valinor and both are less than noble in their intentions, though not entirely serving Sauron in the previous Rps i've put them in. Daenion generally has good intentions but is lead astray by Koto, who is rather good at manipulating the more submissive and younger elf.

as to PH, i would have to debate the point. Tolkien gives us a prime example of of an elf directly following Melkor's orders and betraying his people, Eol's own son: Maeglin. Admittedly it was probably after much pain and mental manipulation, but he served Melkor willingly and didn't even change his intentions when he returned to his people, safe and sound. Maeglin was a bit of head-case, but i don't believe he'd be the only elf to betray his people if he/she thought it would benefit them more (and their morals allowed them) to side with the Opposition. this is the case i would make with my characters at least, and with many elves i've run into that aren't the average bask-in-light type.

respect and regards.

[Edited on 22/6/2007 by pitya]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2007 09:10
okay, well, since it would be bad having so many elves, I'm changing my guy to be a man instead. Don't want to get into trouble.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2007 04:15
sounds good, Elfmaiden. i'll stick with Koto, my elf, and probably create an orc captain for the group to interact with. if it comes right down to it, i'll change it to a man, but i do like rping with Koto, he's an interesting person. it could also create interesting inter-racial tensions with your character, Elfmaid, if both Koto and your character were vying for leadership.

maybe we could start the thread along the road the Hobbiton, and Sauron sent us to find all we could about the Ring in Hobbiton and Baggins. sort of a precursor to the Nazgul.

or we could be a small group of spies sent into Gondor; start in an inn in Minas Tirith and go from there. if you wanted to be a good character, Din, we could meet you there.

as far as further details, i'm open to suggestion. i think i favour the Gondor idea, but ya'll's opinion is more than welcome; what say you all?
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: June 27, 2007 06:11
I like the Gondor idea...if it would suit the thread, my character could be a master only onto him/herself (not sure of the gender yet) and not have any loyalties to either good or bad. Kind of a rogue, you might say.

As far as the leadership struggle goes, then my character would have no part and only be involved in anything for the reward that could be gained.
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2007 07:59
oh yeah pitya, Iarnen will be fighting for the leadership role.

I personally like the Hobbiton idea, but it seems I'm out voted, so thats fine as well. I can't come up with good ideas on my own, it seems.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2007 12:52
sounds good, Din, it seems a rogue would fit in well . and i'm looking foward to see how the leadership struggle goes with Iarnen.

we could in theory combine both ideas, i.e. start in Gondor and then get the call to Hobbiton. it gives us more of a plot and something to go on, and a bit more time before the War actually starts. i'll post the thread in TR here in the next few minutes. since i still can't get the database to work, i'll include some background info on Koto in the thread as well. curse computers and all they stand for
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2007 08:59
Greetings!

Would there be a space for me, too? I would like to join with Rovan. Because of the loss of his wife and child he has lost his loyalties and joined Sauron, believing it to be the best way to find the orc he is pursuing. So, he is kinda dual person...
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2007 09:23
sounds good, and welcome to the Opposition . looks like we're heading to another inn, so you could be in our group originally but out doing something, and we'll leave you word we're meeting there... i suppose it will make more sense in my post . a dual personality sounds interesting...

edit: i had Koto drop Rovan a word as they passed, about a task (i don't know what, have fun with it) so he can join us at your leisure.

[Edited on 28/6/2007 by pitya]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2007 03:30
OK! Thanks! I wil have fun, be sure about that!
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: July 02, 2007 04:06
I will put Gwithin's info in the db after I post. Hope that the post works.

[Edited on 7/2/2007 by Dinenlasse]
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2007 02:12
Dinenlasse, I believe you would want to edit your post, adjusting it to the timeline. This thread is set BEFORE the War, not after it.
In the Realm of Ulmo
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: July 03, 2007 08:44
I realized that after I posted...had planned to edit yesterday but didn't have the time! Will do now. Sorry bout that!
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2007 08:51
Hi!

Pitya, do take a room and settle in the inn, I will come to talk to you after that
In the Realm of Ulmo
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: August 10, 2007 10:30
Is this thread still going???
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 11, 2007 01:16
yeah, I've been wondering the same thing.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2007 08:24
sorry guys, have been in a bit of bind and am now out of it, so there you have it. thread's still going, if ya'll are interested.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2007 04:28
I;m still interesting! I posted already, and can't wait to keep going. I'll need to be a little refreashed on the point, but I think all I need to do is reread the posts in here. *goes to read the ooc posts to figure out what will be happening*
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: November 05, 2007 04:38
Same here! Happy to have you back, pitya!
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2008 12:10
So.... are we moving?
In the Realm of Ulmo
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: January 04, 2008 08:10
I don't know. The last time pitya was on was Christmas, and I know Elfmaiden is around. I am still game but would wait to post. What do you think?
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2008 09:54
I would like to post, this was an interesting story in its different setting and mood. I guess if we have waited this long, we can wait a little while more
In the Realm of Ulmo
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email