Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
lena0
Council Member
Send Message
Post Company of Nine
on: August 20, 2007 11:27
During the end of their time at Rivendell, the company of nine is set up - at one point though, Elrond does not wish for Merry & Pippin to go with them and says that maybe he has some from his own household.

Out of curiosity - who do you think could've have made up the final two spots if Merry & Pippin hadn't 'stuck to their guns' so to speak
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: Company of Nine
on: August 21, 2007 12:04
Despite Elrond saying that he wished to send Pippin back to the Shire, it seemed to me that he always knew that the Hobbits would travel together.
He specifies Legolas to represent the Elves, Gimli the Dwarves, Aragorn and Boromir as Men, and Gandalf the Wizaed. He now has 7 walkers (including Sam and Frodo) and has specifically mentioned all of the races represented at the Council, except for the Hobbits.
lena0
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2007 12:23
I agree with you - to me it could never be any other way. I was and still am simply curious as to what suggestions others come up with
orthanc5
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 21, 2007 05:31
I believe Elrond mentioned that he would find two lords from among his household to fill the final spots. I'll look it up and leave you a quote if I find it .
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2007 09:29
If I'm not mistaken one of the lords you mentioned orthanc, would have been Glorfindel. Or Elrond's two sons.
Lomelindi_of_Moonlight
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2007 06:22
Is it possible that Elrond (if he did have to choose two from his house instead of Merry and Pippin) might not have sent both of his sons with the fellowship? They were very important to the going's-on in Rivendell helping their father, so perhaps he wouldn't have logically wanted to send both of them away, maybe only just one if he had to. But what do I know, lol? I just want to think he would send Glorfindel b/c he was close to Aragorn already.

[Edited on 23/8/2007 by Lomelindi_of_Moonlight]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: August 24, 2007 12:32
The idea of Elrond's sons being sent is a really good one. Legolas was really just a representative of the isolationist Elves of Mirkwood, and you could say the the Elves of Rivendel would likely have also been represented had Merry and Pippin not usurped the last 2 spots in the nine walkers.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post Re: Company of Nine
on: February 16, 2013 11:17
*bump
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email