Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Aasera
Council Member
Send Message
Post Names names names..
on: October 02, 2007 01:52

I may sound a little bit silly to a few of you but...

Im looking for some ideas on a name for a character on a game im trying out. I cant seem to think of any really good ones that suit that game. I'm trying to find a names thats Elvish, and portrays the character as beautiful and strong, or something along those lines. Any suggestions are really appreciated. ^.^ thank you
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Names names names..
on: October 02, 2007 01:56
Well, Aasera there is an Elvish Names Database here on this site. There are a great variety of names there, and there are also translations and encyclopedias in Elvish. Just go to Languages and you'll find a place to suit all your Elvish needs.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Aasera
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2007 01:58
yes, i did happen to see that, and i used it for a while. but i just ended up frustrated in the end =) i was jus tlookinf to see if anyone had some name ideas, ty though
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: October 02, 2007 02:38
Aasera, I know two girl names that mean courageous-Bereneth and Canneth. I hope these help. .
Aasera
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2007 02:42
I'll keep those in mind thanks =)
Dawn_treader
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 02, 2007 04:04
When I'm stuck for a name, I think about the character's personality. Are they fiery, independent, wistful, sad, a lover of the sea.. etc. ( those aren't all personalities, but whatever!) Then I go to the appendices of the Silmarillion and look up the prefixes or suffixes for "fire", or "wind", or "tree". Then I combine them with gold, or grey, or something else. Or sometime I use actual names-like Elentari-which means something like "Star Queen". Experiment with how a name sounds. And see if it fits your character. Combining words, even words that are just plain English, can land you with some interesting names.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2008 08:45
Scyne. There's an accent over the Y that's like this `, only the other way around.
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2008 08:49
Ah yes...I've done the same thing, Dawn_Treader....that's actually a lot of fun doing it that way.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2008 08:36
Or you could try Thurineth... I love that name. (It means "secret" in Sindarin.)
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email