Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
Post sort of sad....
on: November 21, 2007 12:14
well i just went on mugglenet.com and there were 1156 muggles on. then i went back to COE and there are 133 guests and 18 members...its just sort of deppressing.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Post RE: sort of sad....
on: November 21, 2007 01:06
Don't be sad. Those of us here are true Tolkien and Lord of the Rings fans. I have been here a very long time and have seen people come and go and we're still here. A lot of folks work and have school and many are not in this country (U.S.). Some folks just got into LoTR with the movies and once they were "over" they drifted away gradually. Those who remain are those who truly love the stories and the movies and want to stay around a place devoted to all things Tolkien as well as being a close community.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2007 02:16
well i just went on mugglenet.com and there were 1156 muggles on. then i went back to COE and there are 133 guests and 18 members...its just sort of deppressing.

Its not about the numbers, or hits, or such. Its the culling, where only the truest of fans of Tolkien remain. Personally, I like less traffic. Unlike other Tolkien sites I've been a part of over the last 8 years, CoE remains devoted strictly to Tolkien, and as yet haven't tried to 'diversify' with Harry Potter or Star Wars, or whatever content. Of course it didn't work as their numbers continued to decline. Actually, compared to them, 13 members online at one time would be considered great, and 133 guests isn't bad either if they are really people (many could be bots).

One of the things I've noticed about the general drop-off of Tolkien board activity is, in addition to what BelleBayard said about the movies and the activity credited to those who adhere to whatever is lighting the pop-culture pathway, is many members who registered and started participating a lot while in school have moved on to college, or if they were in college have moved into the working world, and/or married and started families, or moved forth in life and don't have the time to devote or interest in a fantasy world.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2008 10:06
I know how that feels actually. I quite often wonder why there are hardly any members on...
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
BlueEyedPheonix
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2008 07:42
Just to say...i know how you feel. I guess lots of people have moved onto other things now that it's been three or four years since the last Lord of the Rings flim was released.

However, the books last forever.
TheStriderRider
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2008 03:36
Well another thing to mention is that Mugglenet is a completely publicized site. It isn't just a fansite. It's also got podcasts, all sorts of items being sold, and other things like that. Also, for the younger generation who is on the computer more than adults (aka people like me) they tend to lean more towards Harry Potter.

I should know, I used to be one of them. Now I'm in equilibrium with both. Sometimes I like one a little more than the other, or vise versa. Anyway, it's sort of like...I dunno. Mugglenet and sites like that are sort of like a club, while this is simply a gathering of those with things in common.

I never went on Mugglenet and I knew more about the books than almost anyone...soo...it doesn't really mean anything.

*End Ramble*
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2008 04:13
True Tolkien fans will never forget this site. No worries.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: February 22, 2008 11:24
I agree with Belle- and don't forget that there are still two HP movies yet to come. I think it's awesome that CoE is still ticking along. When I joined back in 2002 (yipes! almost SIX YEARS as a member!?:cool )...there was a very small handful of us, and we got HUGE very fast....trust me, we were BIG, baby....so the fans come and go, it's a natural part of life.
I really do hope the Hobbit does get made. It'd be nice to see if some "old" members drop back in and visit!
Imahobbitgirl2
Realm Leader of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: March 19, 2008 03:03
I'm with you, Aowyn. Mugglenet's one of my favorite sites (next to CoE ), but I, for one, am glad this site's still around, even though there are less people on it now, otherwise, I might never have found it. CoE is for true Tolkien fans like us and I'm glad to be a part of it.

And it would be nice, when The Hobbit comes out, to meet some of the members that joined as teenagers and see what they're like now "all grown up".
Eowine
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2008 06:02
Yeah, I imagine there will be another surge in membership after the Hobbit movies come out. Yet even after those ones are gone we the faithful will still be here :cheers: . And you have to hope that with a membership surge after the movies, there will a few who will be so smitten that they will stay.
Elegia
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2008 12:21
It's funny actually. I was here, quite active in the end of january and early february. Then I was quiet lfor almost a month or two and now I am here again. My interests change from time to time, sometimes week to week. But it does not mean that I abandon it, no. It just means that I am interested in many things. You know if the black cat crosses your path it signifies that the cat is going somewhere. . And yet here I am again.

Maybe it is like this for other people too. They could have problems in real life, or families and stuff like that. They simply don't have the time. Untill one night they remember their youth and they wonder whether the forum or whatever is still there and log in and voil'a they are back. Been gone for long but returned 'home'none the less.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 27, 2008 01:25
By next month I will be here for four years and I had my times not participating because of school. But I've never forgotten this place and I suppose I am a big fan even if the movies are over. I do miss the people I was used to when I first joined but as I move on I make new acquaintances. I would have to agree that looking at the low member count is a bit depressing but it's still a nice place to be a part of.
Wizards_Pupil
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2008 04:20
We are also getting new members every day, people who have just discovered the movies, and people who loved the books and the movies... Some people just log on for five minutes a day, i wasn't hear when it was really big, but i bet it will get better during the summer when people get more time off i have also noticed i make more friends when there is less people, there easier to talk to because there is no one else and i am glad everyone likes Middle Earth here
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email