Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Malinornë
FAQ Admin, Quenya Moderator & Eldameldë
Send Message
Post Sauron: His names and manifestations.
on: December 10, 2007 09:09
Just passing on two questions that were asked in the FAQ, but which I feel would be better to discuss in this forum:

1. Did Tolkien ever give any indication as to what was Sauron's original Maian name? That is Melkor > Morgoth; ? > Sauron.

2. Also, how did Sauron refer to himself? We know the names others referred to him but what did he call himself?

[Edited on 30/12/2008 by cirdaneth]
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
Post RE: Sauron: His names and manifestations.
on: December 10, 2007 02:20
i heard somewhere that Annatar was his real name...
NumenoreanLord
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 10, 2007 02:39
I can't put my finger on it exactly but here are some of his names.
Annatar Lord of Gifts, Artano (meaning "High Smith"), Aulendil (meaning "devoted to the Vala Aule."), Gorthaur (Sindarin equivalent of Sauron)
And titles.
Base Master of Treachery, The Black Hand, The Dark Lord, The Dark Power, Lord of Barad-dûr, Lord of Gifts, Lord of Mordor, The Lord of the Rings, The Necromancer, The Red Eye, The Ring-maker, The Sorcerer
He declared himself as King of Men and Lord of the Earth when he created the One Ring
Hope any of that helps
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: December 12, 2007 01:43
There may be some earlier names in H.O.M.E. but as far as I can tell, whatever name Sauron used for himself in the First Age, isn't recorded anywhere. All we know is that he was known as Sauron, or Gorthaur the Cruel, in the First Age.
In the Second Age, when he went in disguise to ingratiate himself with the Elves of Eregion, he went by the name Annatar (The Lord of Gifts), and was also known as Aulendil, which was somewhat accurate in a way as he was originally a devotee of Aule before he switched his allegiance to Melkor.

Something interesting to note about Sauron, is that he liked to order his forces from behind the scene, and that in the rare times that he actually participated in a battle, he was soundly defeated.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2007 10:43
There may be some earlier names in H.O.M.E.

Two of those, if I remember correctly, are Tevildo (Prince of Cats) and I would also think Makar the Warrior Vala.

It is not certain what Makar really is (whether good or evil) but if I remember correctly what I read from B.O.L.T, he was a sort-of troublemaker and it wasn't specified whether he was siding with Melkor or not - and still the fact that he is a Vala not a Maia like Sauron.

Although the reason I believe that Makar was the first concept of Sauron is that the actual word 'makar', in Scottish, means 'maker', and Aule's followers were talented in crafting things (even though the actual Scottish word refers to a poet or bard).

I agree though with Potbelly about Aulendil being a possibility. Even Artano (meaning 'High Smith' - for the skills he acquired from Aule) as it was also used as a name to deceive the Elves during the Second Age.

[Edited on 12/12/2007 by Ilandir]
Nordor
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2007 02:20
I was the one to submit the questions and thank you to all who replied. Aulendil and Artano seem likely candidates. However, I have also learned that late in his life Tolkien indicated in a letter that Sauron's original name was "Mairon", meaning "the admirable" or "the excellent." This name would seem to be closely related to "maia" whose meaning is obscure also but probably means "the wonderful" or "the beautiful."
Thanks again to everyone but keep digging for what Sauron referred to himself as. I think it unlikely he called himself "the abhorred!"
Handrober
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2008 03:45
As we know Sauron was not always evil. I was wondering what he looked like before he became evil. Did he look the same and if not what caused his appearance to change?

ED: I have moved this question here as it seems the right place and have closed Handrober's separate thread.

[Edited on 30/12/2008 by cirdaneth]
Nordor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 14, 2009 10:38
In reply to "Handrober": As a maia Sauron probably could've taken on any appearance he chose. After he fell into evil he certainly retained the ability to alter his appearance at will. Only the loss of his physical body at the destruction of Numenor ended is ability to change his appearance.
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 07, 2009 11:03
(...) However, I have also learned that late in his life Tolkien indicated in a letter that Sauron's original name was "Mairon", meaning "the admirable" or "the excellent."

If interested, the fuller quote on Mairon reads (published in Parma Eldalamberon 17):

'(...) Sauron's original name was Mairon, but this was altered after he was suborned by Melkor. But he continued to call himself Mairon the Admirable, or Tar-mairon 'King Excellent' until after the downfall of Númenor.' JRRT

In PE17 is also found a root MAY and Q. maira 'admirable, splendid sublime. only of great, august or splendid things'. There are earlier entries for MAY here too, and another has Q. maira 'admirable, excellent, precious'.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2009 09:49
Just wanted to add that there's a new article which has just popped up at the Ardalambion site. It's entitled: 'A Name for the Dark Lord'. Although it may not necessarily answer the above questions, I'm sure it will be of much help to those interested in this topic.

Here's the link: http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/sauronname.htm
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post Re: Sauron: His names and manifestations.
on: February 11, 2013 01:52
OK here's another Sauron discussion that may be of interest. It has lain dormant for a few years but deserves another airing.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Sauron: His names and manifestations.
on: February 11, 2013 06:01
Yes Sauron's original name was Mairon. I remember years ago reading on another site someone had posted that it was Melian that gave Mairon the name Sauron meaning 'abhorred' when he joined Melkor. Whether this statement is true or not i do not know. However i think it would have been either a Vala or Maia that changed his name because Sauron joined Melker before the elves woke up hence they wouldn't have known him as Mairon.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email