Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
Post if there was no Tolkien...
on: December 11, 2007 03:23
this is a very random question, but i just thought of it. say somehow, Tolkien and all his family had never been born, and no one knew about LotR or middle earth - except you, but no one else remembers it but you. what would you do? would you try to re-write it? would you just do nothing at all? do nothing but make people belive you have a great imagination? just a random question... i have no idea what i would do
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: if there was no Tolkien...
on: December 12, 2007 06:01
Well I wouldn't re-write it, because in my opinion, no one has the talent to write as he did. But I would probably turn his work into some kind of oral tradition to people could know the stories and all the great values and philosophies that are put in them.
But no Tolkien ever?? That would be really tragic...
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2007 12:28
I would faint...

then, wake up and faint again...

and wake up again, and faint...

and wake up, and pass out into a coma and have a dream where I live in Middle-earth with my CoE friends and then wake up and realize that it is not true and faint again...

Then take my book copy and get it published! And still have it say 'By J.R.R. Tolkien'
I wish I lived in Middle Earth, I wish I was a Timelord, I wish I attended Hogwarts, but I must always remember, I am a Ranger's Apprentice.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: December 12, 2007 03:33
I would say the world would be a poorer place. Tolkien's world inspired so many people that I somehow doubt we would have the great variety of fantasy available today without his works.

If you're talking alternative universe here and say a person had been displaced into one without Tolkien... Hmm... One could become either very rich or very poor, depending on how the work was received. It was a different world when he wrote it and today, if someone presented the book as he wrote it all those years ago, it might be rejected. I love his work, but he does tend to go on at times about odd things (Tom Bombadil was one example).

frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: December 12, 2007 03:54

Then take my book copy and get it published! And still have it say 'By J.R.R. Tolkien'

but say all his work dissapeared. all the tolkien related books vanished off the shelves.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2007 06:22
What? No Tolkien? Not possible? And I'd go insane. I'd keep everything I had on him with me and copy it out and then re print it! I could never dream to write as well as he. I would never try it!
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2007 02:17
but say all his work dissapeared. all the tolkien related books vanished off the shelves.

I'de faint and end up in a coma!

Then when I would wake up, I would probably be in the Hospital because I fainted too much...
I wish I lived in Middle Earth, I wish I was a Timelord, I wish I attended Hogwarts, but I must always remember, I am a Ranger's Apprentice.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 13, 2007 04:06
The world would be a sad place...and I wouldn't get to freak out my friends with my emense knowledge of random facts on the books and movies.

I would not re-write it, as I would totally ruin it. I think I would cry....:cry:
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
on: December 14, 2007 03:08
Well, I would still have my copy and that is when I would share my copy with others and see if there was still a love for Tolkien and then if there was I would print it and sell it . Belle I find your remark about Bombadil so interesting as he is one of my favorite characters.. But anyway some way or other I would bring back his literary works .
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: December 14, 2007 04:05
Heh... That's one of the reasons Tolkien appeals to so many diverse folks - he has a bit of many things in his works that he gives something to nearly everyone.

I was thinking of frodofan14's original question - what he had never existed and neither did his writing. Thus my answer that the world would be a poorer place for the lack of his rich imagination that sparked others' creativity.

The way the question is worded makes me think more of a Tolkien lover being transported to an alternate universe where no one else knew of the Professor. How his works would be received (regardless of whether that person put them forth as their own or as his) can only be speculation.
Dimple_Bumbleroot
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2007 04:32
No Tolkien? It's hard to imagine!I beleive that a good writer comes in his own time in this world and Tolkien was meant to come in his particular time.If it has not been him maybe another author with another name would have come because it was meant to be. Tolkien's work had and still have a purpose, it is universal.It is about good and evil, friendship between races, good will and peace and it is about the big sacrifices you have to do to obtain it It is a fantasy fiction but with a real grip in this world.It is about life and all the complications to live in a better world to make it as it should be.Every time I read Tolkien's book, and I read them once a year, it is as if ''I come back home again''and the good Prof. does that to me like no other author has done for me.
I hope you understand what I'm saying....
Lorien~ethel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 15, 2008 07:01
I'd go insane for one because I'd think I was crazy (which probably isn't far from the truth) and second because I wouldn't have anything to back me up. Eventually, after one too many fights with comrades about the masive immaginary world of Middle-earth and elves and dwarfs and hobbits are real and at one point in history it was suposed to be writtin but for some reason never was, I'll be induced to they pshyco who lives next door. Probably twitch freakwently. Starve because nothing can stay on my fork due to freakwent twitch disorder. Die. And only be remmbered as "The Loop nut". Personally, I'd rather not think about it.
PrincessPana
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2008 08:48
I'd be sad & the World would be a poorer place
silivra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 13, 2008 09:15
If there was no Tolkien, the world would miss a wonderful triology (books + films) which is really amazing and marvellous. The best books ever!!!
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2008 08:05
No Tolkien? Worst nightmare!!! (I'd take my copy and get it published again.)
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email