Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
Post Angel of Music (semi-scripted)
on: February 28, 2008 09:52
This story is a Tolkien Related thread set in the early Third Age in Rivendell, based on the somewhat AU premise of Maglor being found in his semi-mad state at the end of the First Age by Elrond, and being taken to live in Rivendell (because Elrond would have some measure of attachment to Maglor after the events of the Silmarillion). Elrond chooses to keep him hidden from the rest of Rivendell's population, to stop him from being a danger to himself and others, and also because people probably wouldn't take too kindly to a half-mad ex-kinslayer.

Over the years Maglor has created for himself some sort of "legend" in Rivendell, of a musical genius who came to particularly promising young musicians and propelled them to greater heights, but who never really revealed himself in person, instead instructing from a distance, heard but never seen. So when Maglor "attaches" himself to a certain elleth, she thinks he's the "angel of music" of legend, except this time Maglor finds himself getting attracted to her beyond the previous teacher-student relationships, and when another young minstrel begins to have romantic designs on our protagonist, Maglor gets jealous and begins to use his persona as the omnipresent "angel of music" to impose all sorts of demands and restrictions on Rivendell's music scene. Of course this isn't going to go down well with most of Rivendell, so investigations will be launched by various parties as strange events keep happening and from there... who knows? ^^

Currently the thread's co-creator Almeruve will be playing the young elvish minstrel, as well as Elladan and Glorfindel (the same ones from the books). I will be playing Maglor and the councillor Erestor, and we'd love to welcome players to take on the character of Almeruve's elleth's love interest, various people from Rivendell's arts scene, and so on.

So if this thread takes your fantasy, please do read the rules below!

1. We'd love this thread to develop nicely, so please make sure you can commit to making good, meaty posts - understandable writing in full sentences, well thought-out, two or more paragraphs, and contributing to the plot/events! Details are very much preferred.

2. The thread probably won't move too quickly, and we probably won't have a strict posting order, but please bear in mind most of us are busy busy people and might take some time to respond, so do give people time to keep up! Likewise, if you're too busy to respond, please do post here in the OOC so we know not to expect a reply from you for some time and so the thread can move on.

3. If you'd like to join, please post below with your character ideas, and preferably a link to an example of your writing (if we haven't RP-ed with you before). We won't bite or nitpick, I promise ^^ But we'd like to make sure you can put in the effort when you post.

4. If you've any ideas for the plot, we'd love to hear them too, so please post them here for discussion!
Niphredill
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Angel of Music (semi-scripted)
on: August 30, 2008 10:32
Hey, I'd love to join your RP, but I'm not sure I'm good enough for a role as important as the main character's love interest... And I'm not very punctual, so I guess you guys would wait for me for some time, sorry. Could I still join you despite this?
Almerúvë
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 31, 2008 05:15
I'll poke you a bit if you wait too long :hug:
Niphredill
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2008 02:39
Okay
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2008 05:33
Hello everyone - and hello Siri,

I know I haven't been here in a while, but this sounds interesting - as anything with Maglor does to me.
I'd be happy to join with Almeruve's elleth's love interest, although I haven't come up with a concrete character yet.

In addition, since Erestor is in the play, I can offer Amarie and, at a much later state, could also offer Earwen (even if we never really finished that roleplay....)

So, let me know what you think and I'd be happy to join...

But I have one more question - the plot sounds a bit phantom-of-the-operaesque, doesn't it? - I like it.

lis
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2008 06:06
OMG. OMG. Liswen?! *gleeful cackle*

In addition, since Erestor is in the play, I can offer Amarie and, at a much later state, could also offer Earwen (even if we never really finished that roleplay....)

Ooh that sounds good... I missed Amarie (: (And RPing in general)

And yes, it *is* somewhat phantom of the opera-ish. Actually, that was the intention *grins* Glad you picked it up! ^^

Niphredill - welcome! ^^

Just a note - we're going to be a little slow, but I do hope we *can* get this up and running (:
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 19, 2008 06:09
Glad to be back -
So, I'll see that I'll get a character up soon.

It's not much yet, but a first try.... see if you like her....

Mire

[Edited on 20/9/2008 by Liswen]

[Edited on 20/9/2008 by Liswen]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2008 05:47
Just so everyone knows... I'm currently working on an opening post, which I'll run by Almeruve and then we can actually move! xD Though it's almost definite we'll still be taking it slowly from there, but it's a start (:

Liswen - Mire sounds promising! It'll be great to have her in the RP. And I do believe that if you introduce Earwen, Maglor's going to go even more insane xD Which may or may not be a bad thing...

I'll edit this post to introduce my OC soon; I guess Maglor and Erestor don't need much introduction...? ^^

And I just realised (oops) Niphredill and Liswen - you've both offered to play Almeruve's character's love interest, so... Unless either of you can take on another character instead?
Niphredill
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2008 11:24
Actually, I was feeling a little unsure about having one of the main characters in my care, so I'll leave him to Liswen gladly . But then I have no idea who to play as. I was thinking maybe Elrohir, since you'll be pulling Elladan in the story, and I can't imagine him going without his twin . But if Liswen doesn't mind, we could share the Love-Interest-Character...this way it would be more interesting I guess (Shoot me if I said something insane, I tend to do that a lot)
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 20, 2008 06:20
Niphredill, you can play the `love interest`I don't mind at all, since I'll have to do enough with three charcters anyway - so, go ahead and play him - and we'll all pitch together if you need help.

Siri, yes, Maglor will get very mad if he sees Earwen. I'll just take a little time to tell the others about her. First of all see
here for details to her life.
So, at this point, she would actally be wondering, when she happens to come to Imladris. She will have changes a considerable bit, since the friends who helped her find Maglor, also helped her to find herself again in a sense. So she is not the broken, sad elleth any longer that she was when she was looking for Maglor. But the loss of her children still pains her greatly. So it will be interesting to see who she reacts when she sees Maglor or realizes that it is Maglor who causes all this racket.

As for Amarie, see here, if you don't know her yet.
Correct me Siri if I am wrong, but Amarie and Erester have a relationship at this point, or is she still swooning after him? I am not quite sure of the timeline....

I am looking forward to roleplaying here again - and I don't mind if the thread moves slowly, since normally I have a very busy work life (unfortunately)

[Edited on 21/9/2008 by Liswen]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2008 04:40
Wow, Earwen will have been in Middle Earth for really long by then... Heh ok we might have a major Earwen-Maglor showdown near the end O.o Which would be highly interesting...

Hmm since it's early Third Age, I don't think Erestor even knew Amarie liked him (or that he liked her back) then. If I remember rightly, Things only started Happening in the fourth age (: So I guess he probably just sees her as a very close friend more than anything else...

Niphredill - don't worry about "main character" or not; I'm sure you'll do fine! ^^
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2008 05:33
Wow, Earwen will have been in Middle Earth for really long by then... Heh ok we might have a major Earwen-Maglor showdown near the end O.o Which would be highly interesting...

Hmm since it's early Third Age, I don't think Erestor even knew Amarie liked him (or that he liked her back) then. If I remember rightly, Things only started Happening in the fourth age (: So I guess he probably just sees her as a very close friend more than anything else...

Yes, Earwen will have been around for a long time by then - but so has Maglor... and yes, a showdown in the end would be interesting....

As far as Amarie and Erestor go, you are right - and Amarie is probably still quite young (this is before the war of the ring???) so she does have a crush on Erestor, but Erestor does not consider her more than a friend...

this is very exciting... I haven't rp here in quite a while....

Almerúvë
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 21, 2008 09:25
That all sounds very promising ^^
I'll not be playing Elladan after all, I don't think I can handle that character well, actually. Maybe Niph can take both of the twins? I guess they hang out with Glorfindel quite a lot?

I'll take only Glorfindel and my elf-maiden, though I don't know much about her just yet. I'll try to get her profile up as soon as possible! And if we need another chara somewhere in the story I can always take another one.

I was thinking about making my chara a young elleth with a lot of talent for music, but whose talents still have to be formed. She's not a very experienced performer just yet. Maybe she can be a friend of Mire's too? Or become one, since they're both musicians? And are Glorfindel and Erestor good friends or do they know eachother at all? I have no idea, really I've never played these characters nor read a lot about them. I did read some fanfics but well, I don't know how the relationships betrween all our characters work. And Tolkien doesn't say a lot about them.

I'm very excited about this too I've done many RP's, but only a few about Tolkien's world, and mostly in dutch. This is only the second one I do in english. I'm really looking forward to it!
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2008 12:29
Ok, to clarify what we've got so far...

The RP is set during the Third Age, opening sometime during the years when Elrond's children are still rather young and Celebrian is still in Middle Earth. We don't have an exact date yet, so any suggestions? I'd imagine we need to set it a few generations after the Third Age began, to have given the "angel of music" legend time to develop since I don't really think there would have been a thriving music scene in Rivendell during the years before the Last Alliance. Since Tolkien says that elves mature at 50 and most marry at about 100, we could probably open at around TA 300-400-ish?

Tolkien didn't say much about Glorfindel and Erestor (less about Erestor ): ) but evidence suggests both of them worked closely with Elrond in the running of Imladris. Fandom usually makes out their relationship as anything from close friends to just colleagues, so I guess we can choose as we wish there? And there wasn't any confirmation either about whether Glorfindel of Rivendell is Glorfindel of Gondolin reborn, or if he is, when he actually returned to Middle Earth, so Alme - it's your decision! ^^

I'm introducing an OC who's a dancer, so as not to steal the limelight from the musicians. ^^ I'm not too sure if she'll be really good friends with Mire or Alme's elleth, but she definitely knows them as fellow members of Rivendell's artistic community. Alternatively she can be closer to, say, Amarie or Earwen, to explain their involvement in this whole affair since - Liswen, do correct me if I'm wrong! - Amarie was more involved with scholarly pursuits in the library with Erestor at that time. Btw, Liswen - how old is Amarie at this point in time? Since you say she was raised alongside Elrond's children, and I remember there being some half fleshed-out backstory about Amarie having been Erestor's pupil when she was younger... We can always change that, though, if you want (: I'll probably put up my character profile later today.

Niphredill - looking forward to see what character/s you come up with! ^^
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2008 08:10
@ Almerúvë: of course Mire and your elleth can be good friends, since they study together.

@ Siri - you are right again, if it is placed that early in the second age Amarie is still quite young and Erestor's student - no crush in any way...but how early are we talking here - because originally Amarie was about Arwen's age - so, if Arwen isn't born yet - we are in trouble as far as Amarie goes....

Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 22, 2008 07:32
Liswen - it's definitely after Arwen was born, so no problem there. Going by the RoTK appendices, Arwen was born in TA 241, so since we're starting around 300-400, Arwen would be approaching adulthood/ in her "teens" by then.

And I've finally got my OC Eleniel in the database here. It's not quite finished or fleshed out, but it's a start... Hope she's ok! ^^
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2008 04:14
*giggles* Amarie as a teenager... that will be interesting!

Your character is fine Siri - I like her.

Niphredill
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2008 04:15
Maybe Niph can take both of the twins? I guess they hang out with Glorfindel quite a lot?

Okay, I'll do that And I'll try to do the love interest Raoul-y enough I had an idea taht he might be s close friend of the Twins, so they make fun of him/help him a lot? So he's not a complete 'stranger', so to say ^^;
Niphredill
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2008 04:59
Okay, here's the "love-interest-Raoul-y' elf. I hope you like him
http://www.councilofelrond.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=RPG&file=index&action=viewcharacter&pn_uid=54745
Almerúvë
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2008 10:03
I really like Eleniel!
And Gelluion seems great too How old if he, if he is as old as the twins?

I'm sorry I haven't been here for so long! I'll try to be more active from now on. I'm having a one week holiday at the moment.
Niphredill
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 27, 2008 02:59
I don't think it's said how old they are...but maybe something above 2500, because they saved their mother from the orcs around the year 500 TA...right? Sorry if I'm wrong...
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2008 09:46
hey everyone - just wanted to let you know that I'm still here....

I hope everything is ok Siri, since I haven't seen you online in quite a while....

well, I'll be around...

see you all

lis
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2008 05:03
I'm still alive; I just don't have the habit of logging in unless I have something to post. And I'm halfway through my A'levels ): With a week and four days left to go.

Niphredill - Gelluion's looking good (: Can't wait to see him in the thread!

Uh, I'll be back? Once the rest of my exams are done...
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 09, 2008 08:49
Good luck Siri!
Niphredill
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 10, 2008 02:35
Good luck Siri, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you .

Um, I just wanted to ask if the RP thread was already active or not. I know I'm dumb, but I'm afraid I couldn't find it among all the other threads that are active now. Sorry ^^;
Almerúvë
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2008 10:29
We haven't really started yet, because of everyone's very busy real lives.

Siri, have you gotten the first post up yet or not? I remember reading it very well, but I think that was on DA, and I cannot find it on the council here. I was just wondering I really want to make some time for it now, though I don't have a lot of time and exams are starting in a bit more than a week. I'll use it to relax and have fun ^___^
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2008 03:52
My exams are over! (:

Alme - no I haven't gotten the first post up here yet; there's one more part left to it, but I guess if everyone's ready to go I can finish and post pretty soon! I'll leave another message here once the thread's up in the forum ^^
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2008 06:31
First of all congrats on your exams bein over Siri - and good luck Almerúvë with yours.

I'm looking forward to starting - just for clarification - I am in with Amarie and Earwen - right?

Sorry for being so confused.

lis
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2008 01:24
The thread's *finally* up here! (: Hope it's alright, I can't wait to get started!

Lis - I was under the impression Amarie and Earwen would be in the thread, but what about Mire? Are you still using her? Either way it's up to you who'll be in the thread! ^^
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2008 08:09
I had almost forgooten about Mire - thanks for reminding me Siri.

- as always, wonderful writing Siri - I'm so excited.... I missed this very much!
I'll get my post up as soon as possible....

lis

[Edited on 22/11/2008 by Liswen]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 26, 2008 11:18
Awesome post Lis! ^^ Can't wait to see more (:
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message