Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
Post Fate, coincidence or free will?
on: March 10, 2008 09:56
i thought this would be an interesting topic; which one do you belive in?

i myself belive in fate. you?
Fate
36% (4)
Coincidence
9% (1)
Free will
55% (6)
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: Fate, coincidence or free will?
on: March 10, 2008 10:01
Could you define those terms as you see them please?

Of course, I may see them differently.
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: March 10, 2008 10:05
er ok.

fate-- someone/somthing has it all planned out, and we cant change it/

coincedence-- im not really sure how to phrase this one.

free will-- we choose everything that happens to us.
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: March 10, 2008 10:08
Webster definition: the occurrence of events that happen at the same time by accident but seem to have some connection; also : any of these occurrences

I personally believe in free-will; the choices we make today could greatly affect the future. However, I am aware that pretty strange things happen.

I guess it's more simple for me to say that I believe everything happens for a reason.

I'm sorry if that was a confusing read.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 10, 2008 10:28
A mixture, but fate has the upper hand. What I believe is, our futures are like multiple-choice questions. There are several options as to what could happen in our future, and our decisions in the present affect which of these possible futures actually ends up happening.
If it's confusing, sorry. I don't make much sense sometimes.
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
lady_of_the_ring
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2008 10:26
I would have to say that I think it's a mix of all three. Perhaps some things are predestined to happen, and they eventually will, no matter what we do (fate). I also believe that a lot of things happen because of the choices we make (free will), but we also have to remember that there are more than six billion other people making decisions at the same time we are, which means things are going to happen that we never expected or saw coming (coincidence).

I didn't vote because of this; sorry. I couldn't choose just one.
Rainyaviel_of_Rivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2008 08:09
same here.i kinda believe in all three of them.sometimes i'm kinda suspiscous of coincidences though.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 13, 2008 04:59
Hmm...these are tough questions. As to what I beleive in I have a simple analogy I came up with one day in class for it. It is weird, but it describes what I beleive in regarding this.

Picture the universe and everything as a bathtub. Fate is the drain that all the water goes into. The bathtub is filled with water. And in the water someone has dropped a number of very different bathbombs, so now there are many many different things floating around in the tub.

Now at one point in time someone pulled the plug, thus allowing the water and all of the things in the water, to flow towards the ultimate fate. Now, since the things are so different though everything goes at different paces. Some are heavier and sink to the bottom and take longer to get sucked in. Some find fate at a much faster rate. And some don't find it at all.

As the water drains out, as our time runs out, we are flowing faster and faster towards our ultimate fate. Eventually all the water will drain out, and so to will go most of the things in it. Some will be left behind, but most will find an ultimate fate. Some will find it faster, some will not.

We have an ultimate decision in our lives as humans, but our souls are the only things that can meet or avoid fate. As living beings we do not have that luxury. This is what I beleive in.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email