Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Aranel_Nimthîriel
Council Member
Send Message
Post Planting trees.
on: January 06, 2009 05:17
Has anybody here had any success growing trees from seed or nut? I am planning on planting various trees from edible fruit or nuts (apple, pear, walnut, hazelnut etc.) I was wondering if any of you have tried this, and would be able to give some advice. YAY TREES!
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I have always wanted to plant trees... I have heard that if you soak the seeds in water the night before planting them, it helps them grow... then you can put netting around it to keep animals off, and stuff like that... or put it in a plant pot to begin with, then move it into the ground when it is big enough.

When I have my own garden, I will plant lots of trees in it. It will be massive and every tree will have been planted by my own hand.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
We used to be able to buy green walnuts at the Asian shop. I stuck one in the ground and it grew. Acorns usually sprout if buried deep enough. I've got a beautiful larch in a big pot outside my window, it's just showing it's new bright green needles now. Some years it has lots of red flowers. I'm going to set it free one day (Fly, little tree!).

Some years ago every garden centre sold bonsai starter trees, about two inches high. I got a stone pine (pinus pinus) and had it in a dish for a while then gave it to my sister for her garden. I'm surprised it survives in this climate.

There's a lovely story called 'The Man Who Planted Trees' by Jean Geono and it was done as an animation, which is on youtube.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I threw an Apricot pit out into the garden at the folks house one day about 20 years ago. There is now a rather awkward looking Apricot tree growing out there. Don't know if it ever produced any fruit as the northwestern PNW climate on the west side of the Cascades isn't the best for them.

I did sprout a Douglas Fir from a seed I got out of a pinecone once as a kid. It grew for about 15 years before getting attacked and killed by beetles.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
I've tried the avocado pit thing, but short of a small sproutling I've never had success with a tree from a pit or nut. In the wild, acorns grow fairly readily. Not so much in a garden. Still, when you consider the sheer number of acorns that drop and the few that do manage to make it to tree size it becomes a apparent all sorts of hazards await them (rot, becoming food, lack of water, nutrients, etc.). I used to have a green thumb, but now it's seems I have a black one in regards to trees. :/
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Yavanna planted a tree for me. Back in Ohio, I had a beautiful sugar Maple in my yard. How I loved that tree and how I cried when I had to tell it goodbye when I moved.

Here in Florida, Maple trees are few and far between. We have plenty of evergreens and palms and lots of Live Oaks but not many Maples. One day, I noticed a twig growing in my yard with the familiar leaves of a Maple. I was not believing this but I watched and waited. Sure enough, it was a Maple! How it got there, well, I will always believe that Yavanna planted it because she knew how sad I was to leave an old friend behind.

It is now over twenty feet tall and towers over my little house.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Hriste
Council Member
Send Message
Recently in various apples we've eaten, the seeds were already growing. If they need some help, put them in a moist paper towel for a few days until they sprout.
We have one apple tree about 4? years old in a pot, and a persimmon tree also. I'm also trying to grow a walnut tree from a nut. I left it water until its root pushed out, then put it in dirt. The 'nut' will stay on the plant until it grows enough to make it fall off. You can help it off, but be careful you don't damage the tree.

This reminds me of BotFA, Bilbo telling Thorin of the acorn he took from Beorn's tree.
-Hristë
Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo! Heed no nightly noise! Fear no grey willow!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, the walnut tree sounds so interesting! Did you put a walnut you buy at a grocery store in water? What kind of climate does a walnut tree need?

I have an orange tree and it is struggling. It is about 4 years old and gets blossoms and tiny pea sized oranges that just disappear. Only two oranges so far have matured. One tasted like a lemon and the next year only one grew big but fell off the tree. I ate that one too and it was pretty good. This year there were a lot of blossoms, they fell off and that was it. Someone told me that it takes 7 years to get oranges so only 3 years to go.

My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Hriste
Council Member
Send Message
The walnut was actually from a tree we had on our property, I think it's called English walnut. It had been dropped in a ditch about 20? years ago by a bird, and it was very well watered because it was in a ditch. For a long time I thought it was a fig tree, and never bothered to look close at it. I saved a few of the nuts before it was chopped down.
As for climate- it's hot and dry, windy, but good clay soil here in CA, . It was a very good tree, even though it was never trimmed.
And the walnuts tasted good too, just like the kind you would get at a store.

That's neat about the orange tree, I hope it does well for you. We also had an apricot tree which I think was grown from seed. It produced small fruit, but was very tasty.

-Hristë
Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo! Heed no nightly noise! Fear no grey willow!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email