Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post Marshals of the Mark: Who, where when why?
on: July 06, 2009 02:42
Heeeelp! :cry:

Today I had an Error Report for the Encyclopedia entry on Theodred and began to do what I thought was a simple edit. It opened up a whole can of worms. Within Theodred's entry there are coded links to entries concerning various Marshalls. I looked at them all and it looks a bit messy.

Could we examine and discuss these entries and assemble all the facts regarding the ranks and responsibilities of the Marshalls, who held the positions and at what time. Your info, quotes and opinions would be very valuable.

When we know where we are I shall temporarily suspend all the entries and rewrite/recode them to ensure they are all accurate and properly linked.

Entries exist for various ranks (First Marshal etc) and responsibilities (Marshal of the Westmark etc) I may also need to update entries for Eomer, Elfhelm, and any other names Marshals.

You can find the Encyclopedia here.
MinstrelofGondor
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Marshals of the Mark: Who, where when why?
on: July 06, 2009 12:05
Here are two quotes from TTT that were spoken by Éomer:

"Yet I am named Éomer son of Éomund, and am called the Third Marshal of the Riddermark."

"The East-mark is my charge, the ward of the Third Marshal, and I have removed all our herds and herdfolk, withdrawing them beyond Entwash, and leaving none here but guards and swift scouts"

And here's a quote from Théoden prior to the departure for Helm's Deep that raises some questions:

"I name Éomer my sister-son to be my heir"

I believe this means Éomer became the First and Third Marshals, but yet there were three éored leaders at the battle for Minas Tirith :dizzy: I will continue to research this topic and see if I can provide more help.
Ereinion
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 06, 2009 02:54
The index of my version states that Grimbold (of Westfold, also of Grimslade) was "a marshal distinguished in battles at the Fords of Isen, commanded the left-wing and fell in the battle of Pelennor." I can find no mention of him being a Marshal in the text of the actual novel, however. If my index is correct, the three Marshals would be Eomer, Elfhelm, and Grimbold.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: July 06, 2009 03:34
I found the answer in The Unfinished Tales.

According to the appendix to 'The Battles of the Fords of Isen, Theoden, had no First Marshal.l He, being young strong and vigorous when he assumed the throne, basically acted in that position until his health failed, and never appointed a successor;. The Second Marshall was Theodred, and Eomer was the Third Marshall.

After Eomer assumed the throne he made Erkenbrand and Elfhelm the Marshalls of the West-Mark and East-Mark respectively, with neither outranking the other.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: July 08, 2009 03:26
Thanks PB! I knew I'd seen something somewhere! I shall get my nose into it a.s.a.p.

Thank you too, Ereinion and Minstrel.

The organisaton of the Mark changed over time and I'll need to make sure I'm clear on the dates and changes before I start tinkering.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2013 06:59
PotbellyHairyfoot said:I found the answer in The Unfinished Tales.

According to the appendix to 'The Battles of the Fords of Isen, Theoden, had no First Marshal.l He, being young strong and vigorous when he assumed the throne, basically acted in that position until his health failed, and never appointed a successor;. The Second Marshall was Theodred, and Eomer was the Third Marshall.

After Eomer assumed the throne he made Erkenbrand and Elfhelm the Marshalls of the West-Mark and East-Mark respectively, with neither outranking the other.

I found The Battles of the Fords of Isen chapter & notes in UT quite interesting. With the fall of Theodred, the overall field command seemed to be in a bit of disarray. It was clear that they didn't expect such a strong arm of attack to come down the east side of the Isen.

Anyway, I think the question of the Marshals of the Mark was answered.

[Edited on 12/23/2013 by Arveleg]
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email