Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post III.14 Of Beleriand and Its Realms and III.15 Of The Noldor in Beleriand
on: October 26, 2009 01:46
1) Why did Turgon feel such a need to build Gondolin. Why did everyone in Nevrast leave for Gondolin?

2) Why did Galadriel not speak to Melian of The Oath of Feanor. Was she right or wrong to keep it secret?

3) Why did Thingol ban the speaking of the tongue of the Noldor in Doriath?

4) When you compare the lands settled by he Sons of Feanor; Lothann, Himlad, East Beleriand, and Thargelion, with the Lands settled by the other Lords of the Noldor, who ended up with the most dangerous lands, who with toughest lands to defend, and who found themselves with the safest locations?

[Edited on 26/10/2009 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: III.14 Of Beleriand and Its Realms and III.15 Of The Noldor in Beleriand
on: October 28, 2009 08:53
1. I think Turgon wanted a safe haven against Morgoth's evil. He wanted to protect his own people at all costs - as he might have known that someday Morgoth would descend on the people of Beleriand with such force as to almost wipe out everything. The same thoughts might have passed to those in Nevrast too and felt that an impending doom was approaching. Turgon would have wanted to create a stubborn bulwark against Morgoth, lest all else would fail under the Dark Lord's attack.

3. It's most definately because of Thingol's deslike of the Noldor - especially the sons of Feanor. They had come from over the West taking over Beleriand for their own after killing most of Thingol's folk - the Teleri, at the Kinslaying at Alqualondë.

[Edited on 28/10/2009 by Ilandir]
Elanor_the_elf
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: III.14 Of Beleriand and Its Realms and III.15 Of The Noldor in Beleriand
on: October 30, 2009 03:01
Since Ilandir didn't answer number 2 i will do my best to try.

2) My thoughts on that are, Galadriel probably didn't tell Melian either because Melian already knew or didn't want the already bad relations between them to get worse. Sometimes, it's best to keep secrets for the sake of diplomacy. Of course keeping secrets is wrong but if melian never knew than i guess it was with the best of intentions ^_^.

3) I have something to add to the previous response. When i learned about slavery it was said people bought slaves from different areas so they didn't speak the same language. They did this to avoid good communication and avoid a revolt. Although it was a good idea to have knowledge of another language, he might've done it thinking that anyone speaking it might've been one of the allies of the Noldor thus sort've his enemy (but not quite). This is just my view on that, ofc it probably also has to do with his extreme hatred of the Feanorians.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email