Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ashbrook
Council Member
Send Message
Post Just finished reading The Silmarillion
on: November 16, 2009 08:43
I'm totally blown away. I feel depressed because I'm finished with the book. It didn't take me too long to read, but I literally felt like I was in Aman, Doriath, and hell, even Angband. The way that everything is described in this book is just so dense. It's so easy to immerse yourself in, and hard to get out of. I know I may sound like a tremendous nerd or something, but THIS is the reason I love LOTR. It's an escape, and after each chapter I feel like I know the sons of Feanor as if they were my neighbors from across the street.
The other books do this too, but I personally think The Silmarillion is the best way to escape to Tolkien's heaven.

Does anyone else feel the same?
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: Just finished reading The Silmarillion
on: November 16, 2009 09:17
Don't be depressed Ashbrook! We are doing the Silmarillion in Book Club, and have reached Of Maeglin. All the previous discussions remain open and up for comment. I am dreadfully behind with it, but am trying to catch up. Why not join us!
RangerStryder
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2009 02:25
I'm totally blown away. I feel depressed because I'm finished with the book. It didn't take me too long to read, but I literally felt like I was in Aman, Doriath, and hell, even Angband. The way that everything is described in this book is just so dense. It's so easy to immerse yourself in, and hard to get out of. I know I may sound like a tremendous nerd or something, but THIS is the reason I love LOTR. It's an escape, and after each chapter I feel like I know the sons of Feanor as if they were my neighbors from across the street.
The other books do this too, but I personally think The Silmarillion is the best way to escape to Tolkien's heaven.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Yeah, we all felt the same thing.
Welcome to Middle-earth.
Congratz!
Ashbrook
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2009 02:52
It's weird, becuase in the Silmarillion you actually feel connected to each and every character somehow. I found myself feeling sad as Beleriand was sunk. So many deeds and tales lost...

God I'm pitiful.
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: November 18, 2009 09:03
No you're not pitiful, Ashbrook! If I'm not reading something set in Middle-Earth I get homesick!
Spragh
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2009 02:00
No you're not pitiful, Ashbrook! If I'm not reading something set in Middle-Earth I get homesick!

You now,i wish that im in the Middle earth.Every day.Because i would like to meet the elves and all those great characters.And for all,i miss clarity.Back then,you had enemy.It was orcs.Now,its men.It is sad.The evil that rules the world is killing the people,people kill them selves.Back then,people were united.I wish...i could have just one day and feel just one heartbeat of mine in time of that togetherness.
glamdring22
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2009 10:34
I'm reading the Silmarillion again over my break....*sniffle, sniffle* it's so beautiful.

It is the best way to escape to Tolkein's heaven.
cirdaneth
Send Message
Post Re: Just finished reading The Silmarillion
on: April 28, 2012 11:22
This is a useful thread. Books Forum has not heard from Spragh lately, but I suspect he is based in a troubled part of Eastern Europe. My heart goes out to him, and though we cannot discuss that here, it does show again how the relevance of Tolkien's work transcends time.
Elthir
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2012 09:24
The History of Middle-Earth series sets out much (although not all) of the various sources that went into the making of the edited 1977 Silmarillion -- and while the sources include notes, a brief description of all these sources, and how they were used for the constructed version, is not easy.

Tolkien actually completed one version of 'the Silmarillion' for example, then called Qenta Noldorinwa (1930), and later rewrote it as Quenta Silmarillion in the mid to later 1930s, despite leaving a 'gap' in this version -- these examples being texts written before The Lord of the Rings incidentally (Tolkien would return to the legends of the Elder Days after The Lord of the Rings was 'finished', but he did not always complete his updating or expanding of previously written texts).

Also, the Silmarillion was a specific source or 'tradition' within the internal conceit, different in scope and detail as compared to the long prose accounts of certain Great Tales for example, or the long poetical accounts of these tales (Beren and Luthien, The Children of Hurin, for two), and different as well from the Annalistic traditions (Annals of Aman, Grey Annals) and The Tale of Years (Christopher Tolkien adopted the Annalistic traditions into his Quenta Silmarillion, with The Tale of Years seemingly taking over for the Annals, Aman and Grey).

Even a statement from a letter (at least one that I recall at the moment) could have its influence in the constructed 1977 Silmarillion, and there is even invention too, given certain problems with the texts -- for instance there was at least a measure of invention deemed necessary (at the time of construction) with respect to the Fall of Doriath.

Again, it's very difficult to explain this briefly.
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: February 05, 2013 03:38
*bump
Amaille_Valin_Idhren
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2013 04:38
Chapter 4 on progress ...

I'm reading very slowly and still get confused in some part.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 05, 2013 09:29
This is my third time reading The Silmarillion. I am now up to chapter 10 and I usually read each chapter twice. I started before Christmas so it is a slow read. It helps to have someone to discuss the chapters with. It is my favourite Tolkien book and I think when I read it the fourth time, it will just flow.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: February 05, 2013 02:33
The Silmarillion confused me for a long time but came together as I grew older, and more familiar with Tolkien's work and background. Whenever something confuses you, just start a thread with your question or post it here and we can discuss it. These discussions throw new light on these works for all of us. That's what the forum is for.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email