Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Post what if Elrond was tempted to claim the one ring
on: February 15, 2010 12:28
i know that both Gandalf and Galadrial were offered the one ring by frodo and both could have easly have taken it from him instead thy resist the temptation and pass the test as Galadrial states. I was wondering though was Elrond ever tested against the will of the ring if not would he be able to resist. Or did not dare to try because of that risk. I ask this because wouldn't he have liked to have been a powerful king like the old elvish kings for example Thingol and Turgan and even Gil-Galad. Im not saying Elrond wasn't a powerful elven king

[Edited on 15/2/2010 by Lord_Sauron]
Shadowfoot
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: what if Elrond was tempted to claim the one ring
on: February 15, 2010 09:11
I don't ever recall Elrond directly being offered the Ring, but the original plan was to take the Ring to Rivendell where it would be safe. That could pose as an interesting angle since Elrond would indirectly be involved with the caretaking of the one ring. He didn't appear to be tempted when the Ring was brought before the Council, but if he was I'm sure he was plenty aware that Gandalf and Co. would have stopped him.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 15, 2010 08:35
i supose they would have stopped just like Boromir was. However when Gandalf Galadriel and Boromir were alone with Frodo and the ring they were all kind of tempted only Boromir gave in. Even Bilbo and Sam were tempted to keep the ring.

Another thought came to me was if Isildurs brother (can't remember to spell his name) was alive and was in mt doom instead of Isildur would he have thrown the ring in or would have been far more easier target for Sauron to corrupt.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: February 17, 2010 01:45
Personally, I believe that if Elrond would have been offered the Ring, he would have been tempted, but just like Gandalf and Galadriel, he would have been wise enough to refuse it. After all, he must have seen it when he was tending to Frodo, and it may have tried to tempt him already then!

As for if Anárion had been there to take the Ring from Sauron instead of Isildur, I think that the outcome would have been very much the same. At least, he couldn't have destroyed the Ring any more than his brother. Not sure if he would have been any easier to corrupt, either. The Ring might not have ended on the bottom of the Anduin, but at some point, it probably would have betrayed its wearer anyway, and ended up somewhere else.
Forbarad
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2012 07:58
Although it was indirect, Elrond clearly faced the question of his taking the One Ring. At the Council in Rivendell, when Boromir suggested, "Let the Ring be your weapon ..." Elrond replied, "I fear to take the Ring to hide it. I will not take the Ring to wield it."

Darrell
striderlyn
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: what if Elrond was tempted to claim the one ring
on: May 24, 2012 05:29
Elrond had his chance when he tended to Frodo. if he was tempted, he fought it off quite well.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: May 24, 2012 07:50
... and while Frodo was unconscious somebody put the ring on a chain. So I wonder who handled it without harm. Elrond perhaps ... or ...
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: May 26, 2012 02:40
... Glorfindel maybe? Elrond was only Half-Elven and may have had more difficulty rejecting the Ring than Gandalf or Galadriel if it had been offered. Aragorn was never directly tested in this way, and this is one case where I think the film trumps the book.

Chains eh? Frodo always kept the Ring on its chain, or so he tells Gandalf. So why did he take it off for the journey?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email