Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post V. Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age
on: April 11, 2010 01:15
1) In this chapter, the main character is Sauron, the chief servant of Morgoth. In what ways was he similar to Morgoth in demeanour and strategy and goals? How was he different?

2)The subtitle to this chapter states; 'in which these tales come to their end'. In what ways is this what happens?

3)This is more of a philosophical question. When Numenorians like Herumor and Fuinor chose to follow Sauron, would they actually realize that they had chosen evil over good?

4) Why, in your opinion did Isildur really decide to keep the One Ring as his own?

5) How is Galadriel's role different in this chapter than in the earlier Chapters

[Edited on 27/9/2010 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
agent
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: V. Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age
on: April 24, 2010 07:26
1) It should be said that Sauron was the most trusted and greatest servant of Morgoth and this can explain the similarity of Morgoth and Sauron. They both "could assume many forms and for long...could appear noble and beautiful so as to deceive all" Both of them tried to put Middle-Earth under their control, both hated elves, but nevertheless cooperated with them to achieve their goals. They were full of hatred towards all free peoples of Middle Earth and placed themselves above the others. Both created strong army and stronghold, used terror and deceive to сonquer Middle Earth. But Sauron could use the experience of Morgoth. He also tried to achieve control over the land and peoples by creating The One Ring - that Morgoth never did. The elves weren't his main enemies - there were more men, dwarves than in Morgoth's times, and also there were hobbits, a people unheard of in times of Morgoth.

4) I do not think he had evil purposes. I believe he wanded to make his kingdom as great as in the times of old, even greater. He wanted the splendour and greatness of old to arise again in his kingdom. I think he had dreamed to do what his father dreamed to do.

[Edited on 24/4/2010 by agent]
Talkeen43
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: V. Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age
on: September 20, 2010 05:05
3.) Ah, the age old question; "Did they know they chose to follow someone evil?" ie., Satan and a third of the angels,...Hitler and his minions.
I think those that do this are blinded by pride and power. And then there are those that just follow others.
However, what do you do when and if you realize the evil, especially if your actions could cost you your life?

4.)Isildur
I think two things were in play in his decision.
It was a sudden surprise to have the One Ring in his possession.
While his mind was reeling from the turn of events, the One Ring had a mind of its own and persuaded him to keep it.
Come to think of it, it had not been long off of Sauron's finger.
Maybe some Sauron DNA rubbed off onto Isildur, LOL. Just sayin.

[Edited on 11/30/2011 by Talkeen43]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email