Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
SilmarilEyes
Council Member
Send Message
Post Strength of characters
on: July 15, 2010 05:42
Gandalf fought with and killed the Balrog of Moria who (if I've researched correctly) were corrupted Maiar.

Sauron was a Maiar also so why throughout the books and films are we led to believe that Sauron was the most powerful being on Middle Earth? He was of the same order as Gandalf, Saruman and the other wizards no?

Even if Gandalf couldn't have taken on Sauron single handedly surely the White Council all together (maybe with help from Galadriel and other elves) could have?

I know it wouldn't have made as good a story but isn't it possible?

[Edited on 15/7/2010 by SilmarilEyes]

[Edited on 15/7/2010 by SilmarilEyes]
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Post RE: Strength of characters
on: July 15, 2010 06:24
Hallo SilmarilEyes or can I call you SE?
Things aren't straightforward in Middle Earth. There is no graph or chart that can help you now. nor in any age of this world.
Sauron's not feeling too good after being disippated at the end of the SA, but his power starts increasing just about the time the wizards appear. Gandalf defeats Sauron at Dol Guldur, or would have if Sauron hadn't planned to go back to Mordor anyway. I'm sure Gandalf wouldn't have tried otherwise.
The Nazgul get their power from Sauron so they aren't up to scratch either and are scared of Gandalf, elves, hedges... even Aragorn can see off 5 of them. At the end Gandalf is beaten by the witch king and yet is himself beaten by a hobbit. All right, Eowyn as well. There is more than one power at work ...
As for Balrogs, no contest. Gandalf had the Flame of Anor (the sun) as well. Or just throw a dice at this point. To be honest I think Tolkein had a hard time keeping it all consistent.
Hope this helps.
May the light of the Two Trees be with you all your days.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 15, 2010 06:30
Well Gandalf was powerful but his orders where not to attack Sauron directly - but guide the people of Middle-Earth and counsel them wisely.

With regards to the Maia being on the same level, you are right SilmarilEyes. But remember that Sauron was a servant of Morgoth and he would have received much power and council from him. dark, twisted and corrupted things are always more powerful than good ones.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: July 15, 2010 08:27
Sorry, Ilandir's right. Gandalf went in alone before then and barely escaped, so it was already too late, really. The plots of Saruman.

There is no hope in perfection.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post Re: Strength of characters
on: February 10, 2013 09:40
*bump
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email