Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
Post The CoE Chatbar -- Questions, Comments
on: October 24, 2010 07:34
As you have likely noticed, we now have a chat bar at the bottom of the page (you only see it if you are logged in). This will allow you to chat privately and instantly with your friends if they are online, and it also has many other neat things. I highly invite you to click around and check out all of the following features:

Left hand options

- HOME button: takes you to the main index of the site.
- HELP button: common questions
- CHATROOMS button: these are chat rooms that we are testing out. Please feel free to use them.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS button: for any sitewide announcements
- FACEBOOK button: the link to the CoE fanpage
- SHARE button: allows you to share the page that you are on with any of your social networking sites
- TOP button: takes you to the top of the page
- FRIENDS button: this is where you can invite friends, and manage your friends list.
- STAFF button: a list of all the staff. Shows who is currently online if you need to get ahold of someone fast.

Who's Online

This is your list of friends -- it will only show the first ten, and a search box should appear after that. Those that are online will show at the top.

Settings (looks like a cog)

You can set your availability status (available, unavailable, busy, etc). You can also put a message that will show up when people chat with you.

Close chat bar

This is the button to the far right. If you want to temporarily close the chat bar, then click this.

SOME COMMON QUESTIONS

What is this bar at the bottom of the screen?

This is the CoE chat bar. It allows you to private chat with any of your friends online, as well as join the online chat rooms. There are other useful tools on the bar, so go ahead and click around and see what all they do.

How do I get rid of it?

If you want to temporarily remove it, click the button to the far right of the bar. If you don't ever want to see it again, go to your account, and go to "Change Your Info" to turn it off permanently.

How do I change my status?

Click the cog in the far right of the bar. You can set yourself as available, away, etc., as well as indicate a personal message.

The games never seem to connect!

Make sure you have your adblocker turned off. Otherwise, we can't help much with them; they're provided by an outside service, so if you can get them to work, great. But we have no control over them.

I invited a friend, and they haven't accepted!

It's possible they haven't visited the site recently. Or their PM box is full, so they didn't receive the notification of your invite. Be patient. If the invite no longer shows as pending in your friends area, and they didn't accept it, then they chose to ignore it.

I added/removed a friend but they're not showing up on my Who's Online list.

Try refreshing your page. Some elements of the chat bar don't update until you refresh the page, or go to another page.

Please post any other questions you have in this thread.
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Maianna
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The CoE Chatbar -- Questions, Comments
on: October 24, 2010 01:15
wow! this is awesome! thanks for making it! it will be a lot of fun and easier to use
Loslote
Mother Goose of Vána & CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 24, 2010 07:00
This is most excellent. That is all. ^.^
Maianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 25, 2010 04:35
...the chat room says I have been banned from it...
...I havent even posted anything in it yet, and have deffinitly not offended anything that i know of...
suggestions?
Rivka
Send Message
on: October 25, 2010 05:41
That's definitely weird, Maianna -- I unbanned you. Not sure how that happened. There's going to be some oddities as we all test this thing out, so if anyone else gets banned for no reason, let me know ASAP.

Another question/comment that has come up -- if you have a slow connection, then the chat bar may make your pages load slowly. You basically have two options:

1) Live with the slowness.

2) Remove the chat bar altogether by going to My Account -> Change Your Info, and turning it off there.

The chat bar does add a certain amount of file size when it loads the page, and if you have a slow connection, then it will make things slower for you. I can't magically fix that for you, so your best bet is to just remove the chat bar.
Vanwa_Meleth
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2010 08:00
I've been messing around with the chat bar, but I can't figure out how to post in the chat rooms. It could just be me being too thick to figure it out!
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2010 02:34
Just a quick suggestion after using chat for a while. Would it be possible to have smiley icons to use?
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: October 26, 2010 03:17
*Dittos Star*

The Privet feature is awesome...it's saving my PM box's life. Realm business is a breeze when I can just pull a leader over for a word.

Oh,and I noticed that two people that I know on another site that had joined and fizzled out are back on so that they can save their PM boxes too..
Rivka
Send Message
on: October 26, 2010 04:59
Just a quick suggestion after using chat for a while. Would it be possible to have smiley icons to use?

Possibly. I'll look into it, and see how feasible it is.
oiotari
Alcarinquë of Varda
Send Message
on: October 28, 2010 01:40
what do the different colored circles by people's names in Who's Online mean?
I'm assuming green is online, but what does orange mean?
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2010 02:03
I second that question.
Rivka
Send Message
on: October 28, 2010 03:12
Orange/yellow means that they were active recently, and so they may just be sitting there doing nothing (or viewing another site in another tab/window), or they just recently left the site. The chat script works on a timed basis -- if you were active within the last 5 minutes, then it marks you as online. I believe that if you haven't been active for like 5 - 7 minutes, it marks you as orange, and anything greater than that you're marked as offline.

Red means busy.

Grey means either offline, or unavailable.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2010 05:59
The handwritten message feature does not work in chat.
You only get a little red x.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 28, 2010 07:41
The chatbar is gone for me. What happened?
I keep getting this message.

Java Script Error
Out of Memory
Line 28
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2010 07:15
It's fine today. :dizzy: .
No error message and I can see the chat bar. Weird.
Rivka
Send Message
on: October 29, 2010 08:00
If you were running a lot of stuff on your computer last night (had a lot of windows open and stuff), then you probably used up all your memory. If it happens again, just close some stuff down or restart.

(Firefox is also a huge memory leaker, so even if you didn't have a bunch of stuff open, if you were using FF, it may have been the culprit. It's generally not a problem so long as you shut it down completely at least once a day.)
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email