Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
Post Doug Adams' Book
on: December 07, 2010 02:39
Has anyone read Doug Adams' The Music of The Lord of the Rings Films? I think this book may be one of the best things I've added to my Tolkien library this year. The first part of the book is arranged according to musical themes with examples; the second part has wonderfully descriptive annotated scores for each of the three movies.

There's some thrilling gems in the rarities CD that is included in a pocket in the back ~ never-before-released mock-ups or alternate music that didn't make it into the films. Plus, loads of Alan Lee sketches, photos from the movies, a list of instruments used, and a chapter on the recording sessions. Under the slipcover, it's beautifully bound in black cloth with the elvish ring inscription stamped in gold. Yeah...I'm gushing over this book. Out of five stars, I'd give it ten.

I plan to spend the next several months poring over Adams' book while the LotR Complete Recordings are playing in my headphones.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
Post RE: Doug Adams' Book
on: December 07, 2010 12:38
I have had my eye on it for some time....trying to gently hint that Christmas is coming. lol I'm glad to hear it's as good as it sounds. Enjoy!
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
itariliel
Council Member
Send Message
I have a copy and it is fascinating. I too mean to have it with me next time I am able to watch the extended versions of the films. Not being a musician I find it quite hard to link the text to the CDs. I wish I could have afforded the full score CDs but they are so rare now.
StingRhea
Council Member
Send Message
i have a copy as well and it is so fantastic. I have spent so long on it its crazy. I especially love how he goes through every song and explains the leitmotifs and themes that are used and reused, and being able to pick at Howard Shores brain was riveting. Anyone who enjoys music theory and The Lord Of The Rings NEEDS to get this book.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email