Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Post The Master Stone
on: December 06, 2011 09:40
Could the Master Stone of Tol Eressëa still connect to the other palantir in the Third age? And could Sauron see the other way?
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: The Master Stone
on: December 06, 2011 04:47
There are no references to the Master-stone that I know of that give us a direct clue to its properties. I`d assume that only the Elendil Stone could see into the West to Eressea and only it could still connect with the Master Stone. The others all had to follow the new curvature of Middle-earth and thus couldn`t find the WEST.
I doubt that any of the other stones ever had that ability. They appear to be a separate subset of stones mastered by the Stone of Annuminas.
Master-stone doesn`t have to mean chief stone or boss stone. It could simply be a reference to the original stone used asthe pattern for the building of the others.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post Re: The Master Stone
on: March 09, 2012 02:20
Interesting thread. I've been looking at the various sources and doing some thinking. The main points seem to be these:-

All palantiri were made in the Ancient West and varied in size,range and properties.

Seven were given to Numenor, one of which had a two-way communication with the Master Stone of Tol Eressea, but could not communicate with the others.
I'd guess that the Master Stone could observe the others, but not vice versa.

Of the seven stones that Elendil brought to M.E. he kept three and gave two each to his sons.

The Elendil Stone is the'two-way' one that he placed in the Tower of Elostirion. It looks only to the sea.

Gandalf tells Pippin that the Master Stone of the M.E. palantiri was the one at Osgiliath, presumably being centrally placed and having the greatest range.

So: I wonder if Elendil was warned in advance of the fall of Numenor and that was why he was so well prepared, and if, by a great effort of will, he was later able to override the earth's curvature and catch fleeting glimpses of Tol Eressea, although it was now much further away.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email