Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Post Rivalry of Sauron and Saruman
on: June 26, 2012 01:12
i was just wondering about something, in the Lord of the rings books there seem that there is a kind of rivalry between Sauron and Saruman. do you think that there may have been a rivalry between them when they both served Aule the Smith. Also we know that Sauron sided with Melkor very early so wouldn’t have Saruman learnt and gain more knowledge from Aule than Sauron did?
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post Re: Rivalry of Sauron and Saruman
on: June 26, 2012 01:50
Now that is a really curly one, Lord S. Needs looking into in some depth. You could be onto something. Saruman gained great respect among the Valar, but I guess it could be that the seeds of his downfall were sown way back.
Huin
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2012 06:19
I for one always pictured a rivalry between them, though perhaps not a very even one. One gets a sense from some of The Two Towers (particularly the chapters 'The Voice of Saruman' And 'The Palantír') that Sauron was always just a little bit cleverer and just a couple steps ahead of Saruman. Which is not to say Saruman wasn't clever, but he was outmatched. He doesn't strike me as the type to appreciate being outmatched. I always imagine he was somewhat envious of Sauron, and that his volunteering for the mission of the Istari may have had something to do with wanting to prove himself the better.

Saruman probably did gain more knowledge from Aulë, but Sauron gained plenty from Melkor (who I don't believe was unintelligent, even if he was bent on annihilating everything).
Image ImageRealm of Vairë, Corrupted faction
Latarina15
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 28, 2012 08:33
one of the things that always confused me was that in the movie its never very clear about the rivalry between them. its much more evidant in the books. thats a very interesting thought though. in reading the silmarillion i havent made it to anyting about the wizards yet so i dont quite know about that yet. i agree with you huin Melkor was most certianally intelligent. he was the mastermind if you will behind the destruction of the "perfect" arda. Sauron being his right hand man would have been in on his secrets im sure and since Sauron was one of the.... oh i cant spell it but the "lesser gods" for lack of the right term, that would have given him the upper hand over Saruman.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email