Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Latarina15
Council Member
Send Message
Post hobbits, where did they come from?
on: July 09, 2012 07:20
maybe this is a dumb question but i was trying to figure out where the hobbits came from. they arent one of the races that illuvitar created and besides what is mentioned about the hobbit "fathers" crossing the brandywine i have seen no mention of where the hobbits came from. if anyone can explain to me it would be much appreciated!
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
Post Re: hobbits, where did they come from?
on: July 10, 2012 05:41
That's not a dumb question at all, Latarina. No one knows where they came from, not even Tolkien himself. All we know is that they quietly appear sometime during the Third Age. To quote the Man himself: "Their origin is unknown (even to themselves) for they escaped the notice of the great, or the civilised peoples with records, and kept none themselves, save vague oral traditions, until they had migrated from the borders of Mirkwood, fleeing from the Shadow, and wandered westward, coming into contact with the last remnants of the Kingdom of Arnor." (Tolkien, Letter #131)
Other than that, all the information we have is that the hobbits are an offshoot of the race of Men.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Latarina15
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2012 09:16
interesting...... here is my theory: a family of short people who like mushrooms are being picked on so they leave and start their own civilization! lol not very Tolkien-like but i like it! oh and these short people for some strange reason like living in holes in hills
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: July 11, 2012 08:50
In the Middle-earth section of Elrond's library you can find, under 'Hobbit History and Heroes. a Hobbit Timeline. The article still needs some work as it didn't convert properly to our new site, but it gives a good summary of where hobbits came from.
It is also likely that Gollum was a Stoor from a group of Hobbits that didn't undertake the migration to the West of the Anduin.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: July 11, 2012 10:10
The editing of this article will take me a while as all the HTML tags for formatting converted to text rather than action. I have removed the annoying boxes and will nibble away at the tags in my spare moments.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email