Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ally_Sanders
Council Member
Send Message
Post New Names Database
on: October 18, 2012 07:07
I was wondering if the old names database was available somewhere? I tried Way Back machine, but could only get the first 5 names in any letter category.

I ask because I am having a great deal of trouble using the new names database--I find it very difficult to search for terms within definitions--for example, finding names that mean "tree", and often, I'll click on a name only to be taken back to the search page. It is very difficult to search through anymore, and often it combines the Sindarin with the Quenya terms--I have a difficult time getting it to let me search within a particular language group. The dictionaries don't fair much better; most of the letters, when i click to browse them, will not take me to any other page but page 1.

I do appreciate all the hard work that has gone into restricting the website, but I really had a much easier time with the old database and was wondering if it was still available somewhere, perhaps even in an excel file or something? I loved the database and used it often in character creation for various stories or RPGs and would love to have it as a resource still, but I simply have found it impossible to use in its current state.

Also, are there any other reputable Sindarin or Quenya name databases available? I liked the one here so well because it was created by people who studied Tolkien's lanugages and knew what they were doing; can you recommend other sites that are also just as trustworthy?

thank you!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email