Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
Post Ainulindalë
on: November 28, 2012 07:40
Something crossed my mind recently that made me extremely excited. I've seen the subject of a Silmarillion movie tossed around from time to time, and it would be extremely difficult to pull off if the Tolkien Estate ever sold the rights to it. But I'm reading through The Silmarillion right now, and a thought just struck my mind:

If a Silmarillion movie was ever made, it would have the Ainulindalë in it.

I cannot imagine how beautiful that song would sound. I don't know if there is a composer alive who could do it justice, but the very idea of it being written sends chills down my spine.

Would anyone else like to hear this song, or do you think it's better just left to the imagination?
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Ainulindalë
on: December 02, 2012 01:21
I think the Ainulindale would be so glorious that we would not be able to bear listening to it. I would love to hear it, but in our own minds, we have a thought as to how it would sound and we would not be satisfied by anything any composer would do. For me, I would trust that Howard Shore would be the one to capture the beauty of it.

A star shines upon the hour of our meeting
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
I don't know. Maybe I would be dissapointed. I dont think it would be within our cpacity to hear "Music of the Gods"
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, but the song is a huge part of the story so some rendition of it would have to be composed. It is, after all, Ainulindale...The Music of the Ainur,. The discord of Melkor must be heard as well in order to establish Melkor's darkness.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
I think if this were ever recorded, it'd have to be in a Disney's Fanastasia format. So as we hear the Ainur singing, we also see their creation unfold. Of course, it would have to be explained that it isn't the real creation but merely an image of it before Eä is created, but I think there could be some spectacular imagery done with the music.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
hmm... one problem is that at that time the ainur dont have physical forms so how would they be shown, as light?
I know that the song is massive in terms of what it means for the creation of middle earth but I just cant see it being justified on the screen. Sorry PJ but even you might have some problems(but then again he is renown for bending stories!)
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
Well basically all the named Ainur took physical forms. While they hadn't yet seen the Children of Ilúvatar, they still seemed to have similar appearances. For example, Aulë worked at a smithy. He carried a hammer that he would have used to strike down the Dwarves. So it would seem that his human-like physical form predated the Children of Ilúvatar. Like angels in Christianity who nearly always appear in the forms of men, it may very well be that that is their "natural" form, even though they are a different order of being.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
I would expect the celestial harmony to be... er, harmonic. All modern Western music is based on equal tempered tuning which is fundamentally un-harmonic. It is also limited to the main major and minor scales. I'm reading a great book about classical music in the 20th C. which has an unfortunate title 'The Rest Is Noise', which I think is a paraphrase of Hamlet's last words "-the rest is silence". The title implies that any other type of music is not worth consideration, although I doubt that this is the intention of the author.

I actually don't think it is worth trying to render the ainulindalë in any coarse, acoustic form at all, it being too subtle. But it is especially inappropriate to attempt it using the limited form of music we're all used to. It would be worthy of cringe, I feel ill just thinking about the sugar-sweet tones dripping from the speakers. Yuk.

This discussion in the book forum is quite interesting-
So what WAS the Music?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email