Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Post Did anyone defeat Sauron one on one?
on: November 29, 2012 02:32
I am trying to remember if anyone had defeated Sauron one on one but can't think of any. The only charactor that came close that i could think of was Finrod. Ok I admit Sauron was defeated a lot but not with out help, Luthien had Huan, Isildur only swung a sword and cut the ring off (cheap shot Lol) only after Gil Galad and Elendil worked together and died first, Didn't Sauron leave before the white council came to Dol Guldur so that doesnt really count and i just checked the Return of the King Frodo did not push Gollum into Mt Doom in fact Gollum stepped to far and fell in so you could say Sauron was defeated by an accident. Quote from RoTK "Precious Precious, Precious!" Gollum cried. " My Precious! O my Precious!" And with that, even as his eyes were lifted up to gloat on his prize,he stepped to far, toppled, wavered for a moment on the brink, and then with a shriek he fell.
BOOK 6 CHAPTER 3 MOUNT DOOM
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Did anyone defeat Sauron one on one?
on: November 29, 2012 07:37
It might have been a cheap shot but when Isildur cut the hand of Sauron, Sauron was defeated, was he not? But not truly defeated since Sauron's spirit abandoned his body and fled into the wasteland. When Sauron was at Dol Guldor, the White council was determined to find out the identity of the "Necromancer". Some did believe that Sauron was, indeed, the Necromancer. But Sauron perceived the Council was coming and fled into the East to avoid a confrontation because he was not yet strong enough to challenge their combined might. Interesting point that Sauron was defeated by accident when Gollum and the One Ring plunged into Mount Doom. So then, could you say that yes, Sauron was defeated, one on one, by Gollum? The weak has toppled the mighty. In the History of Middle Earth series, Volume IX is entitled, "Sauron Defeated". Perhaps that volume would give you some insight to the answer to your question.

My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2012 06:18
Yes you are right Sauron was defeated regardless and i didn't think about it properly Gollum falling in was like a one on one however Sauron couldnt fight back because he wasnt there physically there.
belldoras
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2013 12:56

There is a chapter in The Silmarillion devoted to the Tale of Luthien and Beren. It tells of how Sauron after his wolves and Draugluin could not overcome Huan the hound, Sauron took on the form of a werewolf nd fought against Huan but was unable to subdue him. Sauron yielded to Luthien giving her control of the Isle in return for his release.

He, Sauron took the form of a vampire and fled to Taur-nu-fuin and filled the forest with his horror.
belldoras
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 02, 2013 01:01
Oops I noticed you have already mentioned Huan and Luthien. To be fair it was actually Huan who had control over Sauron
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2013 11:45
I am in the process of re reading the Silmarillion and i will get to the story of Beren and Luthien and pay more attenion
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email