Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Hercynian
Council Member
Send Message
Post Elvish cursive?
on: January 19, 2013 03:30
Was there an Elvish cursive form of Tengwar? Just visually it would seem the script on The One Ring (even though it's Orc-speak) would be the cursive form of Tengwar. I'm wondering what sort of writing would an Elf use in just regular, non-special writing.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Elvish cursive?
on: January 19, 2013 07:09
As far as I know there is only one way to write tengwar although it can be applied to multiple languages like Sindarin, Quenya, or even English. The way it is written may vary depending on the person's hand writing but I've never seen any mention of a special form of Tengwar like cursive is to English.
The writing on the One Ring according to the book has longer stems than normal but I think that is just the engraver's hand writing and not a special form.
For normal everyday use an elf would use just these letters,

starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 19, 2013 07:09
Double post. Oops!

tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: January 20, 2013 12:46
Yeah this double post problem is annoying, isn't it?
The Elves are immortal so were not in any hurry to write things down, which is really the only reason to use joined-up writing. I think they would reject it because it is inelegant, even ugly. Mine is anyway.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2013 09:55
In The Silmarillion, the Noldor of Valinor first thought of letters and Rumil of Tirion was called Loremaster. He was the first Elf to invent the art of writing with signs for the recording of speech and song. He invented the alphabet called Sarati and was a skilled linguist. His alphabet was expanded and perfected by Feanor as the Tengwar. The letters are as starofdunedain posted and it would depend on the writer's style if the letters appear to be cursive.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 19, 2013 06:55
starofdunedain said:As far as I know there is only one way to write tengwar although it can be applied to multiple languages like Sindarin, Quenya, or even English. The way it is written may vary depending on the person's hand writing but I've never seen any mention of a special form of Tengwar like cursive is to English.
The writing on the One Ring according to the book has longer stems than normal but I think that is just the engraver's hand writing and not a special form.
For normal everyday use an elf would use just these letters,

That is pretty much what the Appendices gives you to work with. I need to get back into practice writing Tengwar again....
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
pv
Council Member
Send Message
Something like this, perhaps?

[Edited on 02/17/2014 by pv]
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
pv
Council Member
Send Message
To give credit where credit is due, I found the image above on this site :

http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=97056&start=270
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/