Post SCA
on: February 10, 2013 09:27
I was wondering if anyone was in SCA?
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: SCA
on: February 10, 2013 09:41
I've heard of it, and I know a few people who are...But I don't know what it really is, besides a battle game that does not do fantasy, and goes for the more realistic historical portray of things.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2013 09:54
What is SCA?
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: February 10, 2013 07:22
Society for Creative Anachronism - They are folks who dress in medieval garb, ride horses as knights and ladies, act as peasants/surfs, and try to learn various nearly lost arts. They try to talk as close to the time as possible as well. You can find some of them at Renaissance Faires and they have their own meetings. Some are VERY serious about this, others not so much. They have jousting (which actually was something that didn't occur until the Renaissance, but is associated with medieval times), melee (fighting on the ground with sword, mace, and morning star - which can be hazardous!), folks do spinning, weaving, candle-making, and various other things with minimum use of modern supplies. Fascinating, but you can also find people who are totally over the edge in their quest to be authentic.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2013 11:13
Thank you for the information, BelleBayard. I love going to Renaissance Faires although the ones I have found here in Florida are sadly lacking.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
dwellerofthewest
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2013 05:13
Thank you BelleBayard sorry I should have explained that.
Yes Lindarielwen they are here in NM too.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2013 06:18
Ah, thanks BelleBayard! Now when I hear about them at my Boffer get together I'll know what they actually are besides Mid-evil reenactment.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 26, 2013 07:07
BelleBayard said:Society for Creative Anachronism - They are folks who dress in medieval garb, ride horses as knights and ladies, act as peasants/surfs, and try to learn various nearly lost arts. They try to talk as close to the time as possible as well. You can find some of them at Renaissance Faires and they have their own meetings. Some are VERY serious about this, others not so much. They have jousting (which actually was something that didn't occur until the Renaissance, but is associated with medieval times), melee (fighting on the ground with sword, mace, and morning star - which can be hazardous!), folks do spinning, weaving, candle-making, and various other things with minimum use of modern supplies. Fascinating, but you can also find people who are totally over the edge in their quest to be authentic.
Went to the Abbey Renaissance Faire in costume last July and enjoyed it much. Not part of SCA as the part where some are "VERY" serious about it takes a lot of the fun out of it for others. The local chapter don't care for anyone who dresses up as fantasy characters either. So I stay away from SCA and enjoy myself.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I would love to do stuff like that... there isn't anything like that over her in Soggy Scotland though, that I know of...
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
BelleBayard
Send Message
Check to see if there are reenactment groups, wolfbladequeen. Probably NOT called SCA, but I'm sure Scotland had groups that reenact things like the Jacobites and ancient Scots clans. Often these folks are tagged for movie extras in things like Braveheart, Robin Hood, etc. as they are the best at what they do - stepping in their ancestors shoes.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Sounds so interesting! There's a huge reinactment place in Toronto, Canada, only about a half hour from where I live. I've never been, but many of my friends have, and I have heard good things.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Marille Lairiel
Council Member
Send Message
I just joined my local SCA group here in Australia, it's great fun! I'm learning to sword fight
The more I live I see this life's not about me ~ Anberlin
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
Post SCA
on: June 06, 2014 07:58
dwellerofthewest said:I was wondering if anyone was in SCA?

I am guessing that you are? I am not, but I foil fence, and I know people that do it. My fencing coach actually makes weapons and armor for SCA.
ImageImage
BelleBayard
Send Message
Sorry, there should only be one of these threads. Must not have been paying attention back then. Going to close the other one.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email