Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post AUJ extended edition - what are you hoping to see?
on: February 17, 2013 06:28
Waiting for the extended DVDs to come out, I'm idly wondering what the bonus scenes may be. According to reports, they'll make less than 30 minutes in total. I'm privately hoping that whatever scenes are included or expanded upon, they contribute to enlightening the storyline.

My private wishlist would be:

- The Meeting between Gandalf and Thorin, which is the most crucial of all the omitted scenes for me, and for the storyline's background. I'm really hoping they cram this in.
- full (or even just a bit longer) version of the Misty Mountains Cold song. It was so impressive in the movie.
- a meeting between Gandalf and young Bilbo (reportedly among the candidates for inclusion)
- Bilbo ogling the shards of Narsil in Rivendell (already shot, apparently)
- a cameo of young Estel in Rivendell

What are the rest of you hoping to see?
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: AUJ extended edition - what are you hoping to see?
on: February 17, 2013 11:37
I was definitely hoping for a longer version of the Misty Mountains and it seems like I recall seeing the shot of Bilbo and Narsil in a trailer.
kimmishrooms
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2013 03:30
I would love to see more of Bombur. He's my favorite dwarf.
Belegolas
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2013 08:56
Gandalf impersonating the trolls' voices.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2013 09:11
I got my copy of the theatrical Hobbit today and have watched it twice so far. I would love to hear more of Misty Mountains Cold. I would like to see more of the battle between Radagast and the Witch King of Angmar and definately more of Sauron instead of just a fleeting glimpse. It would be nice to see a young Aragorn with Arwen and more of Elrond on his horse. And, as always, I never tire of seeing Galadriel so more of her would be fine with me.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2013 11:37
Quote from ~nólemë~ on February 18, 2013, 04:28
Waiting for the extended DVDs to come out, I'm idly wondering what the bonus scenes may be. According to reports, they'll make less than 30 minutes in total. I'm privately hoping that whatever scenes are included or expanded upon, they contribute to enlightening the storyline.

My private wishlist would be:

- The Meeting between Gandalf and Thorin, which is the most crucial of all the omitted scenes for me, and for the storyline's background. I'm really hoping they cram this in.
- full (or even just a bit longer) version of the Misty Mountains Cold song. It was so impressive in the movie.
- a meeting between Gandalf and young Bilbo (reportedly among the candidates for inclusion)
- Bilbo ogling the shards of Narsil in Rivendell (already shot, apparently)
- a cameo of young Estel in Rivendell

What are the rest of you hoping to see?

I have serious doubts that the meeting between Gandalf and Thorin will be shown. Jackson probably overstepped copyright with Unfinished Tales on two different counts; doing it for an entire scene would surely spark another lawsuit, and I doubt New Line Cinema would win that one.

A girl on YouTube has sung the entire Misty Mountains Cold song in the tune of the movie, and it clocks in at over 15 minutes long. I really doubt they'll do the whole thing.

Was Estel still in Rivendell at that point, though? He was about twenty when he left, and he was over eighty years old during The Lord of the Rings, which takes place only sixty years after The Hobbit. I'm pretty sure he'd left by then. Besides, bringing back Viggo would be very difficult to make him look twenty, and The Hunt for Gollum proved that only Viggo can truly own the role of Aragorn.

Other possible candidates are a longer scene with the Goblin King (this was confirmed to exist, dunno if they'll include it though) and a scene of Gandalf meeting Thrain. On this one, I don't know how they'll pull it off because Gandalf acts like he had no knowledge of Dol Guldur's activities before Radagast told him about it, but he found Thrain and the key in Dol Guldur prior to this. But this scene was shown briefly in some of the older trailers, so it's almost a guarantee.
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: March 19, 2013 04:36
@ Smoore:
I've heard they'll be moving Gandalf getting the key and the map to Desolation of Smaug, but that's but rumour for now.

I was going by the book timeline for the Estel stuff. I like to imagine the evaporation of the 17 years's span of the Ring in Frodo's keeping in FotR, was just a cinematic cut to avoid similarities with Bakshi's literal take.

Like I said, even a slightly longer version of the Misty Mountains song would make me happy. The longer the better of course, especially if it's at the expense of further IMO redundant and nonsensical made-up stuff about nazgul tombs or whatever.

If the team craft their own dialogue, I can't see a serious breach of copyright arising, given the meeting between Gandalf and Thorin is mentioned in the LotR appendices as well. And it's such a pivotal scene for the storyline - I imagine those who haven't read the book, the non-Tolkienite audience, must be rather confused about what Gandalf has to do with Dwarves, and how his involvement came to be.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 19, 2013 06:21
Galadriel claims that the Dunedain captured the Witchking, could there be a flash back? How about Sauron using his Sorcery and breaking the seals of the tomb.

Gandalf going to Dol Guldur and seeing it abandoned as he claims to Radagast "Dol Guldur? But the old fortress is abandoned
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2013 04:30
@~nólemë~, I haven't watched the Bakshi version since before The Fellowship of the Ring was in theaters. I have no idea what you're talking about lol.

I did read recently that there was a scene filmed for the original trilogy where a young Aragorn met with Arwen for the first time. I hope that it'll be put into the "25th Anniversary Edition" if they make one. Apparently Viggo had to shave his beard for it.

@Lord_Sauron, the first thing you mention would be awesome to see, but I'd rather see it in one of the next two films. The White Council will come back (I hope Christopher Lee is in it!) to continue addressing the threat of the Necromancer, so it would be better exposition of his character to show it later on. Also it would remind movie-goers of what Galadriel said in An Unexpected Journey.
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 31, 2013 09:34
Agree with you Cilendor regarding the Dunedain capturing the WitchKing, it would be better if that was put into the next film.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email