Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post Performances in The Hobbit - what did you think?
on: February 26, 2013 10:08
I was wondering what everyone thought of the cast in The Hobbit movie, specifically:

a) Which performances in The Hobbit did you love / think the best? Were there any that left you underwhelmed?
b) Who in The Hobbit cast just became their character for you?
c) Did any performances endear to you a character that you didn't like in the original book?
d) the general acting in The Hobbit when compared to LotR - was it in your opinion even better, about the same, or worse?

Curious to know everyone's thoughts.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Ironfoot
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Performances in The Hobbit - what did you think?
on: February 26, 2013 11:15
A) I Really liked Ken Scott's performance as Balin. He really displays the essence of his unique standpoint towards the entire adventure. While the others are more gung-ho, he fears for the safety of the group as a whole.

B)hmmm...that's a hard one. I honestly would have to go with Balin again.

C)Not that I can recall. Its been a while since I read the Hobbit.

D) Its too early for me to decide on that. I've only seen the Hobbit once, and so I am waiting to get the DVD for a closer examination.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2013 10:48
a) I loved Ian McKellen's performance as Gandalf moreso in The Hobbit than LotR for some reason. He seems friendlier somehow.
b) I think they all did a great job. Can't pick just one.
c)I find myself warming up to Thorin while in the book I found him almost unlikeable.
d)I think the acting is slightly better in The Hobbit than in LotR. Some actors in LotR (namely the ones who played Haldir and Celeborn) left me underwhelmed which I haven't experienced (so far) in The Hobbit.
kimmishrooms
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 16, 2013 02:11
a) Martin Freeman's performance, in my opinion, was spot on. The Thorin in the movie is a lot different from what I imagined him in the book. But I never took him too seriously in the book, so I think they did a pretty good job with him.
b) Martin Freeman and Bombur. I LOVE Bombur!!! He's perfect, eating all the time.
c) Maybe Thorin?
d) It seems roughly the same. Too soon to tell.
belldoras
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2013 03:57
1-I enjoyed Sylvester McCoy's portrayal of Radagast but he could have done without the bird stuff on his hair and head. There was also more depth to Ian McKellen's role as Gandalf.

2-Balin is someone you could approach at all times even when the leader was in a bad mood.

3-I am looking forward to more of the lesser dwarves become more involved(word wise) in the next two movies namely Bombur and Nori.

4-A few of the original cast members from the Lord Of The Rings were brought back to reprise their roles in The Hobbit, this time around their acting was more self assured perhaps because they knew what to expect. The new cast members I thought compared favourably well with the LOTR even if the story was different.
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 25, 2013 11:02
a) Which performances in The Hobbit did you love / think the best? Were there any that left you underwhelmed?
Oh, I loved so many of them. If I start listing I will get stuck on this one. I don't think anyone disappointed me.
Thorin, definitely. I didn't feel I "got to know" him that well from the book, but seeing a real person in the role definitely brought a lot of depth to the character.
c) Did any performances endear to you a character that you didn't like in the original book? I only read the book once so far, so I'm not sure really.
d) the general acting in The Hobbit when compared to LotR - was it in your opinion even better, about the same, or worse? I think it was about the same, they all did VERY well.
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
jakalova
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 07, 2013 08:45
I think that as far as acting goes that Martin Freeman played Bilbo quite well. Though young Bilbo isn't much different from Arthur Dent really.

I was surprised at the Choral talent of the dwarf cast for the Song of the Lonely Mountain. That particular song/poem was one of my favorite pieces in The Hobbit book and the movie didn't disappoint.
calenmarwen
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: April 23, 2013 01:56
Yes, that's one of my issues with Freeman as Bilbo; it appears so similar to his other roles. I think Armitage having a background in musical theatre must have come in handy for the singing since some of the other cast members have said they can't sing and think they were turned down low on the choral Dwarf song.

Specifically then:
Which performances in The Hobbit did you love / think the best? Were there any that left you underwhelmed?
As I've said before and will again, Armitage is definitely the man to watch, his performance shone. For me he gave the best performance there. I also enjoyed seeing Lee, Blanchett and Weaving reprise their roles, and enjoyed the little extra humour Elrond seemingly had in The Hobbit.
I thought Holm and Wood weren't as good as they could be. They just acted too differently to me to easily fit in with how we see their performances in the beginning of Fellowship. And I'm not entirely convinced by Freeman. He wasn't as bad as I thought, and there were moments I believed him to be Bilbo, but he's just not quite there to my mind. Stott's performance as Balin was also very good, I really like how he portrays his character. The only thing that bothers me there is that he seems such a sensible and cautious dwarf regarding the Lonely Mountain Quest, I can't see him disobeying Dain and going off to recapture Moria ...

Who in The Hobbit cast just became their character for you?
I'd agree with Thorin, absolutely. And I also agree with the interest in seeing another side to his character from the book portrayal by having someone inhabit the role and show you their opinion of the character. I think the character's been set up especially well for later events (like breaking our hearts!).

Did any performances endear to you a character that you didn't like in the original book?
Well, I always liked Thorin in the book, but in the book it was much more focusing on Bilbo where as in the film Thorin is at least as important a character and I felt more connected to him, and slightly less to Bilbo. I do want to re-read the book now I'm familiar with the movie and see if any character differences jump out at me.

The general acting in The Hobbit when compared to LotR - was it in your opinion even better, about the same, or worse?
Ooh, tricky one. With fewer lines for some of the leading dwarf characters I guess it depended very much on their general acting. Bombur for example being the only dwarf who said absolutely nothing yet still had an impact. As I said the departures from the characterisations we see in Fellowship for 'old' Bilbo and Frodo bothered me, and Gandalf seemed slightly 'off' too somehow ... not bad, just different, which he might have been back then. I still enjoyed his performance, but other performances were stunning. I guess overall maybe it was the same, but I need to think about it!

What's your own opinion noleme?
"There is more in you of good than you know ..."
Maltaquesse Greenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Okay, I am an Orlando fan girl through and through, so you can guess what all my answers are!

A) ORLANDO!!!!!! Though many people don't agree, I am soooooo glad that he came back for the Hobbit!
B) ORLANDO!
C) That is hard... I liked pretty much everyone in the book!
D) I think that they are pretty close, but the Hobbit may be a little bit better.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message

I thought that thy were all very good. Thorin was a little uncharacteristic in the first film, and was much more similar to the book in the second. I prefered Ian as Gandalf in the Hobbit as well, versus the trilogy.

Well, Radagast was amazing, in the first film, Thranduil and bard in the second.

c) Did any performances endear to you a character that you didn't like in the original book?

Beorn. Although he had little screen time, I almost liked him better in the sense that I held more pity for him.

d) the general acting in The Hobbit when compared to LotR - was it in your opinion even better, about the same, or worse?

OK, here we go. Well, in the Hobbit, we have mostly new actors for all of the characters. I think that they are equal, with the Hobbit being maybe and itsy bitsy higher.

I will update this when I go see DoS again.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email