Register

Author Topic:
Alondieur Sey Dmiour
Council Member
Send Message
Post Getting Started
on: March 11, 2013 07:21
Hello all!

I am new to reading the works of Tolkien and I was wondering what would be the best book to read in order to establish a "foundation" for the rest. I started the Silmarillion, unlike most, I have been able to keep up with names, places, etc. But I was wondering if there would be a better one to begin with?

Thanks for any help!

[Edited on 05/04/2013 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Getting Started
on: March 11, 2013 01:29
Firstly welcome to the site .
In my opinion you should start with the Hobbit, next The LotR and then the Silmarillion. Other users will have different opinions
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2013 02:36
Well you jumped right in with The Silmarillion that is for sure. And you are keeping up, you say? The Silmarillion is basically the beginning of it all. I would tend to agree with Lord_Sauron telling you to start with The Hobbit, LotR, and then The Silmarillion but if you feel comfortable reading The Silmarillion then keep going. Next, The Hobbit and then LotR. The Children of Hurin could follow. I am currently reading The Silmarillion...for the fourth time...I found it difficult the first two times and still am having a bit of trouble. It is, however my favourite Tolkien book. Good luck and welcome to The Council of Elrond!
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Alondieur Sey Dmiour
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2013 02:49
Thank you very much!
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: March 31, 2013 10:17
I originally tried to start on Tolkien with 'The Hobbit' back when there was only 'The Hobbit' and 'The Lord of The Rings' to choose from. I had problems with it being aimed at children and didn't finish it until after my friends to convinced me to read 'The Lord of The Rings' trilogy first. I'm sure that reading the trilogy and the Appendices will fill the reader with the need to find more and more info.
I also recall that I used to have a lot of trouble with the first few chapters of 'The Silmarillion' and I used to mostly skip them and focus on the stories about the Elves.
Galethiel
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: April 17, 2013 04:36
You're starting with The Sil.? That's brave

Most people would recommend starting with the Hobbit, I think.
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: April 17, 2013 05:35
Most people do recommend starting with the Hobbit, but - and this is depending on the age and reading maturity of the reader - I would point most people towards starting with Lord of the Rings since it's the pivotal story and much better than The Hobbit.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Galethiel
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: April 17, 2013 05:58
Yes, I agree, I started with LOTR when I was about 11, I didn't read The Hobbit until much later because I felt 'silly' reading a children's book, oops!
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: April 17, 2013 03:14
Me too. I began with LOTR just after it was published and didn't read The Hobbit until ten years later. Curiously, it begins as a childrens' book but matures as it goes on. The final chapters are very grown up emotionally.

LOTR also begins in a light, almost childish way, but Tolkien seems deliberately to interrupt the innocence with the growing threat of the ring. This contrast makes it more of a shock.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Yep, brave to start with the Silmarillion. If ur comfortable then thats the way to do it cos its in order. I think The Hobbit gives the best intro to Middle-Earth. The Silmarillion is a really complex text, and I onlly really understood it once i finished readint LotR. If you really want to start with the Silmarillion,
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Yep, brave to start with the Silmarillion. If ur comfortable then thats the way to do it cos its in order. I think The Hobbit gives the best intro to Middle-Earth. The Silmarillion is a really complex text, and I onlly really understood it once i finished readint LotR. If you really want to start with the Silmarillion, I would recommend reading up a bit of background, from COE or another site. I think that if you read it in the order it was written in then your understanding evolves in the right way. You go through the same thoughts as Tolkien.
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
sorry about the incomplete post. It decided to submit itself :S
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Hi PSK. No need to apologise, the double-post thing is a well-known problem. It's best to edit the second one, delete all the test and just put 'double post' or something.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email