Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
fra.pip.merry
Council Member
Send Message
Post Next Hobbit films
on: May 05, 2013 04:19
Hello everybody! I was wondering if the Hobbit will be made in three films or two.
Because,for example,the Five Armies Battle,will be in a possible third film or in the second?
Do you think we'll see Fili and Kili in other tow films or only in one?
Thank you!
Lord_Sauron
Council Member
Send Message
Hi, the Hobbit will be made into three movies the 1st was The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, the 2nd is titled The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug and the 3rd will be titled The Hobbit: There and Back Again.
I think the Battle of Five Armies will be shown in the last film (don't quote me on that). If I'm correct about that then yes we will see Fili and Kili in both The Desolation of Smaug and There and Back Again movies.

Hope that helps

[Edited on 05/05/2013 by Lord_Sauron]
fra.pip.merry
Council Member
Send Message
thank you very much It's so sad that they die
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
I agree with Lord Sauron about when you'll be seeing their deaths. Mostly due to the high points in the books. I think the high point of Desolation of Smaug would be being captured by the Wood Elves, and traveling to Lake Town. Then the high points for There and Back Again would be Battle of Five Armies and the Attack on Dol Guldor.

But I could be wrong, I'm just going off of what I have read in the books.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, we have some spoilers here for those who have not read The Hobbit.

But we all know how Peter Jackson likes to change what we have read in the books.

[Edited on 05/05/2013 by Lindarielwen]
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
fra.pip.merry
Council Member
Send Message
Well,but LOTR is loyal to the book in my opinion...it's not perfectly the same but is surely more loyal than some other books (in my opinion)
When I told about they death to my cousin(who hasn't read the book) his face talked by its self...
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
I kinda agree with that fra.pip.merry, but I wouldn't use the word loyal, instead I'd say follows the book, so that way it's not saying that it is taking everything word for word. It's allowing an artistic license. (LOL)
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
In fact we'd say faithful to the book. Which means loyal. But we wouldn't say loyal. Stupid language English isn't it?
I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't seen the first film yet so I can hardly speculate about the next ones. I'm pleased that events outside the story are included though, there's so much going on. I'd really like a film about the time between The Hobbit and LOTR. That would be nice.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
Yea...it can be understood/translated in too many different ways. Silly English.

Really? Well, I think it's good. But until the others are out I don't want to say how good. And yes, I'm glad that they decided to use some of the info from the appendices instead of ignore it....like I did when I first finished reading LOTR. (I fixed that recently. LOL)
Taug anin ú-daug.
fra.pip.merry
Council Member
Send Message
well,I'm sorry for my English but it's not my language I try to use it as I can but sometimes I write silly things,after all,I'm not English after now I'll use what you say
well, it can't be perfect…they are two kind of art very different I said I think i faithful because I saw lots of films taken by books(easier and shorter than LOTR) and they were not so faithful.
tarcolan
Send Message
Don't be sorry fra. English is really difficult and yours is fine. We weren't critising you, just trying to help you along. Then there's the different spellings in US and UK. It really is a mess, a mongrel language cobbled together in the 14th century from a few other languages, then botched and cobbled ever since.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hey, guess what? My 30 pound Webster's defines loyal as faithful and faithful as loyal. Seems to me that too much fuss is being made over one word.

Pay no mind fra.pip.merry, I am glad you are a loyal, faithful Tolkien fan.

I find your use of the English language to be quite charming, especially how your cousin's face talked by itself...

[Edited on 05/11/2013 by Lindarielwen]

[Edited on 05/11/2013 by Lindarielwen]
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
tarcolan
Send Message
I hope there's more bunnies in the next two movies.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
I thought that the first movie was a bit to big. LotR is massive cos if they lose the whole of middle earth is finished, but The Hobbit is just a hobbit and some dwarves trying to take back their home. It should have been more childish like the book, and less doomsday pre-apocolyptic scenario? Will the others be different?
By the way I loved Misty Mountains Cold, more great songs to come! (Hopefully)
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
fra.pip.merry
Council Member
Send Message
You're right,The Hobbit is easier and not as LOTR (even if I love The Hobbit)

[Edited on 05/16/2013 by fra.pip.merry]
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
I know I love the Hobbit as well so far cos I havent finished it.

My dad says(so old fashioned)thata the LotR films were better cos everything didn't seem so artificial eg Gollum or Orcs. I thought that since Middle Earth is made up, it is alright. I love the special effects.
What do you think?
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
PSK said:I thought that the first movie was a bit to big. LotR is massive cos if they lose the whole of middle earth is finished, but The Hobbit is just a hobbit and some dwarves trying to take back their home. It should have been more childish like the book, and less doomsday pre-apocolyptic scenario? Will the others be different?
By the way I loved Misty Mountains Cold, more great songs to come! (Hopefully)

You're right. Other than the criticisms over CGI and too much unnecessary fighting (when we know there is no real danger), I think the biggest reason that people don't like An Unexpected Journey has nothing to do with the movie.

In The Lord of the Rings, there is tension pretty early on. You know that the Ring is evil, and you see its effects on Bilbo. Also, you are introduced to characters in small numbers at a time. You get to know them all individually or in small groups so that even when the group grows larger, you still know them all and care about them. And finally, several characters die, while others are injured.

None of those are faults with the movie. They are faults of The Hobbit the book. There is no real tension in the book, at least not until the Misty Mountains. You meet 15 characters at the very beginning of the story, and most of them are never expanded by Tolkien. On that, Peter, Fran, and Philippa have done a superb job at making each Dwarf unique, and I think the ones who were underplayed in the first movie (Bombur, Glóin, Bifur, Óin, Nori) will have more moments to shine in the second; even still, with 15 main characters, it's very difficult to make them all important. And lastly, there was no real tension because you know no-one would die. Sure, the fight scenes were a little over-the-top ridiculous (I'm thinking specifically of the escape from the Goblin Town), but then again they were trying to escape a gigantic cave under a mountain. They can't be standing still and fighting waves of approaching Orcs.

I think most or all of the objections will disappear once the next movie comes out.

PSK said:I know I love the Hobbit as well so far cos I havent finished it.

My dad says(so old fashioned)thata the LotR films were better cos everything didn't seem so artificial eg Gollum or Orcs. I thought that since Middle Earth is made up, it is alright. I love the special effects.
What do you think?

I prefer the makeup and costumes from the original movies. I loved the realism that it provided. CGI can be made to look real (Gollum), but it's nothing to flesh and bone.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
The Desolation of Smaug trailer is coming soon!..

[Edited on 06/08/2013 by Lindarielwen]
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
I would refrain from posting anything by "anonymous tipsters" unless we're certain it's true. As we all know, the internet is rife with rumors, true and false. What I do know for certain is that the trailer will be out June 14 as it is reported on our news page here on CoE. If you do find more information, please give us the source and a link if possible.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
The article here on the CoE states that the trailer for Desolation of Smaug will be online 2 days prior to the release of the trailer in theaters so that makes the date of the trailer online at June 12 at 10am PDT which is what I posted.

TheOneRing.net says the trailer will be on Youtube on that day and time.

[Edited on 06/08/2013 by Lindarielwen]
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
Oops. You're right, Lindarielwen, our news item does say that the trailer will be online June 12. Somehow I missed that bit. I guess my point is to check first what we've posted as news on the home page (and it appears that that goes for me as well ) so as to avoid repeating an announcement here. I know everyone's excited about the upcoming film but I still want to caution folks to not post news unless you've got a source to back it up. Please don't just say: "I heard such-and-such".
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
tarcolan
Send Message
Well I was eavesdropping on some gossip about a rumour that the spiders won't be talking in the next film. What with the dumb eagles I don't hold out much hope for Roäc. I expect there'll be a lot of cawing with a translation by one of the dwarves. At least Smaug's got a voice. Hasn't he?
Nevaratoiel
Council Member
Send Message
I know it's fantasy, but I think the whole talking animals just doesn't sit with me well. I know it's canon, but I feel it would feel silly in film of this proportion.
~Nev~
tarcolan
Send Message
The eagles in LOTR talked, but I suppose they're a special case like the ents. There is a thinking fox though, and it's pretty clear that some animals are sentient and can communicate, either with Radagast or with the Enemy. I expect the filmmakers chose not to have talking animals to avoid the criticism of Disneyfication. So talking trees are fine but not eagles. Yeah, that makes sense.
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
Well Ents aren't quite trees. But for the talking animals, it worked great in the Chronicles of Narnia movies, but I don't see it working in The Hobbit. In the former, the world was made up of talking animals and fantasy creatures, but in the latter, it is meant to be a much more realistic sort of fantasy.

At any rate, it would be very fun for a father of young children inventing a story to play around with voices for different animals, but it would be much harder for a movie studio to come up with fitting voices for them. I'd prefer to see Beorn talking as an animal to them, similar to how Radagast spoke to the bird in bird calls.
tarcolan
Send Message
Well Ents aren't quite trees.
Exactly, but the filmmakers seem to think they are, as well as a lot of illustrators. I was just being flippant really. I see your point about giving voices to animals in movies, so I agree it's probably best to avoid the problem by using an interpreter.
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
What did you folk think of the Trailer then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJhE5OWaSho

Personally I really enjoyed it and like the look of everything Smaug looks perfect I feel. Only thing I am not happy about is Tauriel. Especially the fact that her fight scenes looked worse than most video games.

The set for Mirkwood looks fantastic! And the elven Kingdom.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I loved the trailer and cannot wait for the movie. It will be wonderful.

I look forward to seeing more of Mirkwood. Seems like we will be changing our rooms around again...

[Edited on 06/13/2013 by Lindarielwen]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email