Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Dunadanman
Council Member
Send Message
Post Tolkien parody: Insulting or Flattering??
on: May 22, 2013 07:06
Having been a Tolkien fan for nearly 4 decades, I am curious about how people feel about the parodies out there? I long ago read (and enjoyed) the Harvard Lampoon's effort, "Bored of the Rings." Recently, I just found a new one on Amazon entitled "High as a Hobbit." This one actually had me laughing out loud all evening. While I've considered myself a bit of a purist when it comes to the art of our British friend (for instance, I boycotted the movies at first...although broke down eventually and thoroughly enjoyed them!), I have no problems with well-written books that poke fun at the noble themes. I guess I agree with the author of HAAH (Timbly Prywater) who states that parody is a form of flattery. If you agree, I recommend "High as a Hobbit" with no reservations...it's really that funny! If you think otherwise about parody, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks.
There is a fine line between a rut and a groove.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I have an unread copy of "Bored of the Rings" and could use a good laugh. I enjoy parody but I think some find it insulting. Welcome to the Council of Elrond.

[Edited on 05/29/2013 by Lindarielwen]
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Dunadanman
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you for the welcome. Personally, I only like well-executed parody (such as Monty Python's take on the Arthurian legends with "The Holy Grail." The authors of "High as a Hobbit" (Timbly Prywater and Stevo Jackobottom) are obviously well-read fans, because the excerpts are accurate to the tone of the original books. For me, that made it much funnier. Enjoy!
There is a fine line between a rut and a groove.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
I am locking this thread as it seems to be a form of advertising. The book's title also suggests a drug culture, and whatever our own opinions of international laws, such suggestion has no place on this website.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email